SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ffestiniog
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. There is a building I have always wanted to visit along the Thames, but I think it may have been demolished. It was (or is) a white building that looks like a computer terminal. I think it might have been IBM or BT owned. Absolutely space aged looking. Does anybody know what the name of the building is that I am talking about, and whether it is still there. And if it isn't still there, what were they thinking letting it be demolished!?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,733 Posts
Mondial House, demolished to make way for Watermark Place.

Watermark Place is one of those buildings which looked really naff in the render but ended up turning out great (given the constraints of the site and planning).

·
Ffestiniog
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, you've already answered my question; thanks for the images.

I have to say that I much prefer what was there before. Mondial House was innovative and memorable. Even having only seen it in pictures it has always stuck in my mind and interested me.

Can the same be said of the glass box replacements. Definitely not!

·
Registered
24,248 Posts
It was a Buck Rogers slice of the 1970s future when it was built. Pretty iconic for its time, but never loved. It was tarnished by Price Charles's comments about modern architecture in the eighties and was considered a carbuncle.

The only part that still survives is the firestation located at the back, it wasn't demolished when Watermark Place was built and still has the classic 70s futurist styling similar to the Barbican of windows with thick curved corners.

I've never seen pictures of what it was like inside, but I've always wondered if that top window was a restaurant and the lower slab a viewing gallery. Would have been awesome.

This building by Chipperfield has a similar feel, although is in no way related.

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
inside it was a data centre basically with lots of long winding corridors and little by the way of light. always felt it was simply in the wrong place to be considered iconic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts