SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fishing
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why do Chinese cities prefer yellow street lamps rather than white ones? White light looks more bright and glorious. What do you think?:banana:

Beijing

Guangzhou

Chongqing

Shanghai

Tokyo

·
Banned
11 Posts
Why do Chinese cities prefer yellow street lamps rather than white ones?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

How did you notice that ?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Most cities in North America use "yellow" street lights. I think it's because it saves energy and is less eye-piercing for drivers (safety issue).

·
Skyscraper!
143 Posts
hm.... yellow looks more warm, white more cold....

Interesting question!!

·
Fishing
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do Chinese cities prefer yellow street lamps rather than white ones?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
How did you notice that ?
Most Chinese city photos do prove :nuts:

Most cities in North America use "yellow" street lights. I think it's because it saves energy and is less eye-piercing for drivers (safety issue).
I think energy saving light bulbs produce soft-white lights.?

less eye-piercing for drivers (safety issue).
Think about your car headlight, white is much clear:cheers:

hm.... yellow looks more warm, white more cold....

Interesting question!!
good to use white in summer :)

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I think energy saving light bulbs produce soft-white lights.?
You're thinking interior compact florescent bulbs versus incandescent bulbs. Streetlights are sodium vapour lamps not incandescent.
Think about your car headlight, white is much clear:cheers:
Actually headlights are slightly yellow or gold in colour I believe. Some people install intense white headlights for 'good looks' but that's actually illegal and will get you a ticket.

Okay, I've done some more research. It appears that yellow lights are produced from sodium vapour lamps, and they are easier to filter out in terms of light pollution (there is only one wavelength). White versions of such lamps are used but are more expensive to manufacture and have shorter lifespans as well as lower efficiency. On the other hand white lights seem to improve peripheral vision and reaction time in terms of road hazards, however powerful white lights are less desirable for car headlights because of the glare caused for oncoming drivers. In fact highways have very few streetlights because they cause drivers to lose night vision and makes it difficult to distinguish oncoming headlights (easier to see a light on a black background than a gray background).

I've found this explanation for the different kinds of lights used:

High Pressure Sodium Lamps: These lamps provide a golden colour. They are used where a more natural colour is required.

Low Pressure Sodium Lamps: The majority of lamps are of this type. It is the most efficient in converting electricity to light and produces the familiar orange colour.

Compact Metal Halide: This type produces a white light giving good colour rendering and is useful in town centres and conservation areas.

Compact Fluorescent Lamps: These lamps are used to illuminate traffic signs and the advent of higher wattage versions is finding increasing use for street lighting using the advantageous white light.

In conclusion, yellow lights are more energy efficient and better for the natural environment. White light provides better contrast for road hazards but can reduce driver's night vision and the visibility of headlights.

IMO selecting city streetlights should be determined by safety, conservation, and environmental protection; in that order. Aesthetics come after. :)

·
囧!
10,896 Posts
Haha, in the photos shown in the original post it is a matter of white balance used in the camera. It has nothing to do with the colour of the actual street lights.

Although, China might have more yellow-ish lights than Japan for example, I don't know.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Haha, in the photos shown in the original post it is a matter of white balance used in the camera. It has nothing to do with the colour of the actual street lights.

Although, China might have more yellow-ish lights than Japan for example, I don't know.
Go ask the danes... scandinavian are the masters of lighting and lamp design. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts

great news, i love my seed upgrade.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That is a science question. Yellow light is often preferred because human eye is most sensitive to yellow light. Therefore, using yellow street light is most energy efficient. Yellow street light are generally from sodium lamp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts