SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More tidbits of information from the WYCA website:

Munroe K, owner and operator of the White Rose Office Park, and the West Yorkshire Combined Authority will be submitting a planning application for the station buildings to Leeds City Council in late 2019. If you have any comments at this stage, we invite you to contact Munroe K before the end of November 2019
There's a full leaflet on this available here: https://www.yourvoice.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/whiteroserailstation

·
Registered
270 Posts
Guess this would put to bed the chance of a station at Elland Road ! :-( (Would they be too close together?)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess this would put to bed the chance of a station at Elland Road ! :-( (Would they be too close together?)
No, not really - and I think they are both on different rail lines. White Rose would be on the Leeds to Manchester Transpennine line, an Elland Road station would be on the line which goes out to Wakefield via Outwood.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's a lot less extravagant than what was originally proposed and I've no idea who designed that CGI train but that's just weird.

However, seems to be a better location for a train station than Cottingley. If future TT changes happen then likely to be better visited for office workers & the college that's there.

Would still prefer the station to be on a loop but doesn't look like it's feasible on the embankment.

·
Registered
29,220 Posts
I think we were all surprised by the extravagance of the original proposal, so this is not surprising at all. Getting this station built in any form is priority.

I don't see why it has to be a replacement for Cottingley, though. Despite being close to each other, both serve different areas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's a lot less extravagant than what was originally proposed and I've no idea who designed that CGI train but that's just weird.
A Northern branded HST with windows and seats in the front, an odd render, why not use one of their new trains rather than make one up.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
A Northern branded HST with windows and seats in the front, an odd render, why not use one of their new trains rather than make one up.
Looks like a shortened Intercity 225 which would be a curious train to use on a non-electrified line especially as they are currently being withdrawn from the East Coast Main Line as the new Azuma's enter service. I would have thought using a new Northern or Transpennine train in that render would have made a lot more sense.

Also wouldn't the proposal to upgrade the Transpennine line between Leeds and Huddersfield presumably complicate this proposal considering the construction of the White Rose station might as well be done as the same time as upgrading the Leeds - Huddersfield line? Other than electrification will the Leeds - Huddersfield line remain two tracks at this point? Would be pointless building a new station for two tracks if the railway is to be re-built to four tracks in the near future. Also I presume this proposed White Rose station will see the closure of Cottingley station considering the close proximity of the two stations.

As for how this station looks it looks a bit bland imo and I hope it is designed to ensure walking between the White Rose Centre and this railway station is as straight forward as possible to ensure as many passengers use this station as possible.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think we were all surprised by the extravagance of the original proposal, so this is not surprising at all. Getting this station built in any form is priority.

I don't see why it has to be a replacement for Cottingley, though. Despite being close to each other, both serve different areas.
I agree and think it would be very short sighted to shut cottingley. I would keep it open with a parliamentary train and if NPR gets built and frees up the huddersfield line it would work well as an extra station on say a four trains an hour clock face service from huddersfield.

·
Registered
674 Posts
From the responses to the Q&A it appears the White Rose Park developer is considering a more substantial station building. I guess the logic is to get the basics in first.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I am concerned about this as well I think realistically it's about a five to ten minute walk. Although the bend at white rose on the line might make it difficult to reduce this.
Assuming a path is built, it's around 450m* from that pedestrian tunnel in the mock ups to the bus station/Debenhams entrance.
By comparison, the Owlcotes entrance is 750m* from New Pudsey along its footpath.

*Google Maps measurements

·
Registered
224 Posts
Assuming a path is built, it's around 450m* from that pedestrian tunnel in the mock ups to the bus station/Debenhams entrance.
By comparison, the Owlcotes entrance is 750m* from New Pudsey along its footpath.

*Google Maps measurements
Ok well a decent path as you say and perhaps a remodel of that entrance to white rose to make it more welcoming would make it more attractive. I live near the station in Morley and I would definitely get a train to white rose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts