Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a picture of the ex White Star Building at number 3 James Street. The picture is to send to a cruise ship director who gives a lecture, with graphics, on the subject of the ill fated White Star liner TITANIC. His lecture is very informative but is totally devoid of any reference to Liverpool and the sacrafice of many of it's citizens who crewed TITANIC . I did send him the link to "Liverpoolpictorial" with it's photo's of the "Hero's of the engine room".
Thanks in advance.

·
Onward and Upward
153 Posts
sloyne said:
I am in need of a picture of the ex White Star Building at number 3 James Street. The picture is to send to a cruise ship director who gives a lecture, with graphics, on the subject of the ill fated White Star liner TITANIC. His lecture is very informative but is totally devoid of any reference to Liverpool and the sacrafice of many of it's citizens who crewed TITANIC . I did send him the link to "Liverpoolpictorial" with it's photo's of the "Hero's of the engine room".
Thanks in advance.
Let me have an email address and I'll send one to you. :)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thudbucket said:
Let me have an email address and I'll send one to you. :)
I have sent you my e-mail address via the "Private Message" facilty. Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
41 Posts
sloyne said:
Thanks in advance.
wasnt liverpool the titanics home port

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
rob12345 said:
wasnt liverpool the titanics home port
Yes it was, Liverpool written in large letters on the stern of the ship.

Titanic was built in Belfast by Harland and Wolf,(there is a Harland and Wolff building somewhere in the dock road area of Liverpool), with maiden voyage from Southampton. Titanic Never got to visit Liverpool.

The following is an interesting web site about Titanic and White Star Line.
Didn't know that the White Star Line was taken over by American interests before the Titanic disaster, click on White Star Line link.
Titanic site

Amazing what you can find on an internet search.

·
Banned
41 Posts
JUXTAPOL said:
Yes it was, Liverpool written in large letters on the stern of the ship.

Titanic was built in Belfast by Harland and Wolf,(there is a Harland and Wolf building somewhere in the dock road area of Liverpool), with maiden voyage from Southampton. Titanic Never got to visit Liverpool.
just found it intresting that a titanic lecturer would have no reference to liverpool with liverpool being the ships home

·
Liverpool, England.
12,682 Posts
The significance of Albion House (formerly the White Star headquarters) to the Titanic is that the disaster was announced to the wives and families of the crew from the safety of the first floor balcony. Bruce Ismay, the chairman of the White Star line, lived in Waterloo and White Star liners would sound their sirens as they went past his house. Ismay was later vilified for saving himself when the Titanic went down.

At the time of the Titanic disaster, White Star had been taken over by J P Morgan, the American financial magnate. Later on, it was to be merged with Cunard.

Albion House was badly damaged during the War and was partially rebuilt to a plainer design. The gable of the pre-war building was much more ornate.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rob12345 said:
just found it intresting that a titanic lecturer would have no reference to liverpool with liverpool being the ships home
I wonder why? I once went to a lecture on "Modern Music", and the influence of the 'BEATLES' on that music, at Washington State University in Seattle. Only once was Liverpool mentioned and that was at the begginning of the lecture when the lecturer opened with; "And then came the 'BEATLES' out of Liverpool with their cheeky 'COCKNEY' accents.

And I can't begin to count the times I have heard, in documentaries, that the Cunard liner LUSITANIA was sunk off the coast of Ireland while on her way from "New York to Southampton".

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ste said:
Isn't it derelict at the moment?

I the last remaining tenent (the parole board) moved out just recently.

I think the plan now is for flats. Which would be a shame when you consider the sort of White Star/Titanic attraction could be put in it.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Lets have a TITANIC pub

pjmulholland said:
I the last remaining tenent (the parole board) moved out just recently.

I think the plan now is for flats. Which would be a shame when you consider the sort of White Star/Titanic attraction could be put in it.
With Coopers across the road about to be demolished ,the ground floor should be converted into a " White Star" pub called the --- Titanic :cheers: .

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
woody said:
With Coopers across the road about to be demolished ,the ground floor should be converted into a " White Star" pub called the --- Titanic :cheers: .
Good idea, i was thinking that myself, as pjmulholland said, the White star building itself wood be great with a Titanic/Whitestar themed pub on ground floor, and resteraunt on floor above, with rest as apartments to make the thing more viable.

There is probably plenty of room for a modern expansion of this building to the side for extra apartments.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Never seen a picture of that building, it's amazing, anyone got a more recent colour picture of it?

It already looks like an apartment building.

·
366 Posts
JUXTAPOL said:
Hello Skopie

Take a look here for a colour pic.

Or here for a Titanic website old picture.
Juxtapol, I'm glad you posted the link to the Viewfinder site. Great for research - I've saved it in to my favourites. :cheers:

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
Gazzab said:
Juxtapol, I'm glad you posted the link to the Viewfinder site. Great for research - I've saved it in to my favourites. :cheers:
Has some amazing old and current pictures on there of liverpool,

For example take a look at this.
Blacklers lewis's bomb damaged

·
Registered
817 Posts

The building on the right with 'figure factory' upstairs and 'coopers' downstairs mings. Big time.

It should be knocked down ASAP :puke:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts