1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Chicago Photographer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This is a tough choice...I slightly lean toward Beasley. Heinrick is never going to be a premiere PG; Rose would surely be an upgrade there, but who is the last NBA team to win without a good big man?
I dont think you can win an NBA title in this league without a good PF/C. As good as CP3 and Deron were this year, I think they will have a hard time getting to the NBA finals without that big time inside scorer.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
^ I dont think the Bulls will be able to keep both Hughes and Gordon though, Hughes already has a huge contract, and Gordon is up for a new contract.

Duhon is surely gone, if Rose is selected, then Heinrick is gone too. That leaves either Hughes or Gordon to pack.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Larry Hughes is 29 and made $12,000,000 in '08
Ben Gordon is 25 and made $4,800,000 in '08 (he turned down a $14mil a year contract or something crazy like that)

Also, Deng is gonna want a big payday too, I doubt the Bulls will be able to afford all of this "talent"

·
Loyola University
907 Posts
You gotta go with Rose. :cheers:

·
Registered
346 Posts
This is a tough choice...I slightly lean toward Beasley. Heinrick is never going to be a premiere PG; Rose would surely be an upgrade there, but who is the last NBA team to win without a good big man?
I dont think you can win an NBA title in this league without a good PF/C. As good as CP3 and Deron were this year, I think they will have a hard time getting to the NBA finals without that big time inside scorer.
Every hear of David West or Carlos Boozer.

CP3 and Deron have already had a LOT of success in the NBA playoffs, even after just 3 years.

And who was the Bull's big inside scorer in the 90s? The fact that those guys haven't won it all yet isn't because they are guards....it is because almost always, more experienced teams prevail in the NBA playoffs. The Jazz, and especially the Hornets probably need to gain another year or two of experience (while more experienced teams in the West perhaps decline a tad, due to age), before they can get over the hump.

I do generally agree with your main point, though, that a good inside presence is very important. As good as Rose is, so is Beasley....I'd go with Beasley.

·
Loyola University
907 Posts
If the Bulls select Rose, who do they have to score in the paint?
We trade for Okafor or Brand. But I would rather take Okafor.

Imagine the lineup:

PG Rose/Hughes
SG Gordon/Thabo
SF Deng/Draft pick
PF Okafor/TT
C Noah/Gray

That is a very young team that will make the playoffs and turn heads doing it. Plus you get the UConn connection with Gordan and Okafor. :)

·
63 Posts
We trade for Okafor or Brand. But I would rather take Okafor.

Imagine the lineup:

PG Rose/Hughes
SG Gordan/Thabo
SF Deng/Draft pick
PF Okafor/TT
C Noah/Gray

That is a very young team that will make the playoffs and turn heads doing it. Plus you get the UConn connection with Gordan and Okafor. :)

I dig it!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Beasley is the better pick but Rose is the hometown guy so a lot of people are biased. I like Rose better as a player and I think he has as much upside as anyone. But I think the Heat would be better off with Rose and the Bulls with Beasley. Beasley is an instant upgrade from what you guys have now at PF while you still have some talented guards. Hinrich, you could get rid of, but he's still a good player. Hinrich, Deng and Beasley would be great fits as the main spots at point, wing and down low. You could trade Tyrus Thomas, Hughes and Duhon. Gordon is inconsistent and wants too much money, I'd get rid of him, but he would be a keeper if he didn't want so much money and didn't shoot so inconsistently b/c he can play. Hughes is only 29 but gets injured so easily.

Don't let Gooden go easily. And I would test the waters with Nocioni.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Food for thought: The Bulls at first wanted to draft for need first in 1984 as well. Had they drafted at #1 or #2 instead of #3, they would've taken Hakeem Olajuwan or Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because they had a greater need inside. Portland drafted Bowie over Jordan because they felt they already had a guard and needed a center to win in the NBA. Portland never wins it all after that, and Jordan goes on to win 6 titles with the likes of Luke Longley, Bill Wennington, Stacie King, Will "the thrill" Perdue, and Bill Cartwright playing inside. If you have great guards, you don't need a dominate inside presence to win. Rose has shown in college he knows how to take over a game and lead in crunch time, something extremely impressive for a freshman to come in and do. That's an intangible that just can't be taught or passed up.

·
Loyola University
907 Posts
Food for thought: The Bulls at first wanted to draft for need first in 1984 as well. Had they drafted at #1 or #2 instead of #3, they would've taken Hakeem Olajuwan or Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because they had a greater need inside. Portland drafted Bowie over Jordan because they felt they already had a guard and needed a center to win in the NBA. Portland never wins it all after that, and Jordan goes on to win 6 titles with the likes of Luke Longley, Bill Wennington, Stacie King, Will "the thrill" Perdue, and Bill Cartwright playing inside. If you have great guards, you don't need a dominate inside presence to win. Rose has shown in college he knows how to take over a game and lead in crunch time, something extremely impressive for a freshman to come in and do. That's an intangible that just can't be taught or passed up.
Good point and I totally agree and good point.

yea as much as beasley would make an immediate impact. bulls just cant pass up rose.
IMHO Rose has a much bigger upside that Beasley. Even tho both will be studs i prefer Rose.
Beasley in the NBA will be playing against huge guys and might be a little bit undersized at the PF position. However Rose will be playing against smaller guards and will immediately become one of the most athletic and explosive guards in the league...in his rookie year. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts