SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Stamford CT 4 Life
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are Connecticut towns so boring (

My hometown is Stamford, but what puzzels me is that a city of 120,000 + is so boring. All you can really do is go to the movies, play ball at the park or go to a friends house. THats a problem in CT cities there is not much to do. We gotta go out of state in order to find something to do ( white plains, new rochelle, NYC). It seems like in Stamford, entertainment is suited for the "rich and wealthy middle aged people", and the politicians in the city wonder why there has been a surge in gang violence in stamford........teens have nothing to do....they're bored. Stamford's downtown is virtually SHUT DOWN after 10 pm. They "claim" its alive, but it isnt, and there really isnt too much there. A bunch of restaraunts ( expensive), the mall ( needs a big makeover in all areas).. nothing more really.

Feedback
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,973 Posts
Probably because much of CT is more or less bedroom communites of NY and to an extent Boston.
 

·
Stamford CT 4 Life
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean ROCguy.....BUT here in stamford everything is for the rich and wealthy to do. Yacht marina ( who cares about those), expensive restaraunts, rich forum ( performing arts)... a bunch of stuff rich 45 year olds like to do. Nothing except the movies that teens/young adults do. The mall isn't any fun. You literally walk in the mall and you walk out 5-10 minutes afterward. the mall is dead, and there is nothing in there, but a bunc of rich people stores. It's not diversified. Take a look at trumbull mall, white plains galleria/westchester mall...danbury fair mall........the stamford mall compared to those malls are incomparable.the trump our mall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
StamfordCT said:
Why are Connecticut towns so boring (

My hometown is Stamford, but what puzzels me is that a city of 120,000 + is so boring. All you can really do is go to the movies, play ball at the park or go to a friends house. THats a problem in CT cities there is not much to do. We gotta go out of state in order to find something to do ( white plains, new rochelle, NYC). It seems like in Stamford, entertainment is suited for the "rich and wealthy middle aged people", and the politicians in the city wonder why there has been a surge in gang violence in stamford........teens have nothing to do....they're bored. Stamford's downtown is virtually SHUT DOWN after 10 pm. They "claim" its alive, but it isnt, and there really isnt too much there. A bunch of restaraunts ( expensive), the mall ( needs a big makeover in all areas).. nothing more really.

Feedback
Sounds just like my city, gang violence is up, and DT is closed after 10 or something unless theres a music venue open. One thing that Roanoke doesnt have is rich people though.

StamfordCT said:
I know what you mean ROCguy.....BUT here in stamford everything is for the rich and wealthy to do. Yacht marina ( who cares about those), expensive restaraunts, rich forum ( performing arts)... a bunch of stuff rich 45 year olds like to do. Nothing except the movies that teens/young adults do. The mall isn't any fun. You literally walk in the mall and you walk out 5-10 minutes afterward. the mall is dead, and there is nothing in there, but a bunc of rich people stores. It's not diversified. Take a look at trumbull mall, white plains galleria/westchester mall...danbury fair mall........the stamford mall compared to those malls are incomparable.the trump our mall
I hear ya, Our malls are diversified though, and no rich people here.
 

·
Jersey FRESH
Joined
·
460 Posts
I had fun in New Haven once. But we were doing Yale parties. There didn't appear to be a whole lot going on in the rest of town. I think your issues are these:

CT cities are fairly small (most are in the range of or under 100,000)
CT cities aren't the only game in town - Whereas a city of 120,000 in Idaho might have a lot going on b/c it's the only thing around, CT'ers go to their few larger cities (i.e. Hartford) or cities in neighboring states like NYC, Providence, and Boston. There's nothing "special" about a city of 120,000 in CT.

^ I dunno, just a hypothesis.
 

·
Stamford CT 4 Life
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right Iammius. Our cities are small ( stamford's has potential to at least peek near 140,000+). People do go to NYC because there isn't anything to do. Stamford is the center of the Greenwhich-Stamford- Norwalk area ( they only count stamford and norwalk, but they all next to each other). Stamford should at least have something. New rochelle has New ROC city, and they only have a population of about 50,000+. White Plains has about 70,000+ and they have a fairly nice downtown. CT cities need improvement, because everyone is going places outside of CT to have fun. We need to have some fun in our own cities for change, instead of always either being bored or going out of state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,535 Posts
Well I didn't call them boring... But one reason is that Connecticut is so decentralized. There are several cities with populations in the 100-150k range but no major central city. Much like New Jersey, but NJ has about three times the population so its cities are bigger. Just like NJ is divided between NYC & Philly, CT is divided between NYC & Boston. So one great asset about CT is that NYC & Boston are convenient for those bored by the attractions of Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford, Stamford, Waterbury, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
In high school I was in the marching band and we did the Columbus Day parade in Stamford, and I was expecting a lot more from a city its size. It seemed more like a regular suburb than a place with its own identity. Of course, that's just the impression I got.
 

·
Stamford CT 4 Life
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea Andysocks i know what you mean. In the 20 years i've lived here ( my whole life) it seems that they have done nothing entertaining with stamford. All they care about is bringing in more businesses and more money to please the rich folks. I understand the money issue, who wouldnt want cashflow into their city? But they have left residents out in the cold, and the youths here have nothing to do with themselves. All you really can do is go to NYC or just go to the park or a friends house. all the "attractions" are for the rich folks and those who could afford it. They say stamford downtown is alive.....it isn't alive at any part of the day really. Alive means it's bustling and people are always down there and things are going on...that isn't the case here. The downtown area is small as it is...they may wanna expand because its a bit tight and you could walk around it in like 10 minutes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I as in Hartford a couple of weeks ago

Billy Joel was at the Civic Center, the motorcycle show at the convention center drew 10,000 people, the Lion King was opening at the Bushnell, the hockey team was in the playoffs, and there was even a protest going on.
 

·
metrocard millionaire
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Alot of the time, the problem can be based on leadership and state.

one of the main reasons there has been a turnaround in places like White Plains, and New Rochelle were because of the leadership and the fact that both of their city council's were willing to take chances after the horrible urban renewal of the 70's and 80's that never fufilled its promises in both cities.

Stamford has to develop other ares outside of their downtown (like norwalk). And they should develop the waterfront even more, there's lots of potential there. Although one of the mistakes Stamford has done is take a cue from White Plains building "Platnium Mile" styled office parks that seem like an extension of what you'll see driving from White Plains to Port chester...these lovely low rise isolated office buildings.

One thing that could help Stamford alot is to develop more high density residential urban developments in their downtown (especially around the metro north stations)
In White Plains and New Rochelle the neighborhoods around the downtowns are still very lively in street life after hours. I can remember as a kid when I lived on lexington avenue in white plains there were always people outside hanging out and this was in the early-mid 90's.

the potential is there, but I think with that trump project they'll be headed in the right direction.
 

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
Joined
·
182 Posts
I recently moved up to Stamford, CT, from Brooklyn, and now commute. I absolutely love it. I've lived in Brooklyn for 5 years, and Stamford is a "big" little city. "Nothing to do" is very subjective. What do you crave doing? Are you into all-night raves, drinking/drugs til dawn? Are you into nonstop concerts? Are you into nonstop partying? Total and constant people everywhere--bars/restaurants/attractive people constantly on the go until 5am?
I know when I was a teenager, nowhere in my hometown seemed fit for me. I grew up in the south, and had a legitimate gripe! Anyway, my point is that if you are looking for what I mentioned, you are looking at life in a big city. That isn't Stamford, CT--that's New York City, Philly, Boston, Chicago, LA, etc. Small towns/medium-size towns just don't have the people to support what you are looking for.
Plus, I think most people go through that while teenagers--there's never "enough to do." Freakin' wait til you are 30, you'll be dying to have "nothing to do."
Stamford amazes me. It has 120,000 people in the city--with 40k in the downtown area, LIVING there. It has the most fortune 500 companies of any US city besides NYC and Chicago. The homes are gorgeous, the city is pretty, the beach is less than a mile away, and it has a thriving arts/theatre scene.
It's basically all about what is most important to you, and the stage of life that you are in. I'm 34 and was over the Brooklyn scene for a while. Stamford works for me. Maybe you should move to Brooklyn in the future. That's probably what you are looking for.
 

·
Stamford CT 4 Life
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I mean like that in other areas the malls are better, there are a few concerts in own that aren't for the "rich". Alot of things in stamford are geared toward the "rich" (its true). I don't know why Bridgeport has a team and stadium but we don't in stamford.....

I'd love for the mall to be redesigned and re-done so i can at least go somewhere when i dont wanna go to the park, movies, beach. There are some places like white plains that there downtown appears more happening than stamford downtown, but i just want to see more expansion and some better attractions in the stamford area, not just for the "rich" but for everyone.
 

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
Joined
·
182 Posts
StamfordCT said:
I mean like that in other areas the malls are better, there are a few concerts in own that aren't for the "rich". Alot of things in stamford are geared toward the "rich" (its true). I don't know why Bridgeport has a team and stadium but we don't in stamford.....

I'd love for the mall to be redesigned and re-done so i can at least go somewhere when i dont wanna go to the park, movies, beach. There are some places like white plains that there downtown appears more happening than stamford downtown, but i just want to see more expansion and some better attractions in the stamford area, not just for the "rich" but for everyone.
I hear you. I think Stamford's well on its way to becoming more diversified downtown--there are a ton of projects either planned or on the table. The whole waterfront is set to be revitalized.
 

·
Stamford CT 4 Life
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea revitalize the waterfront, BUT hopefully not in the expense of kicking out the "poorer" citizens and movin the "rich" citizens in. because i hate when they talk abotu revitalization and kick my family out and let some rich people move into my neighborhood and drive prices skyhigh, its happening in stamford too much too often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Stamford did seem kind of boring. There's not many fun things to do. It's mostly just small businesses. I lived in Wilton, CT before and I went to the mall in Stamford a lot. That mall was pretty nice, but that's the only thing to do in Stamford really. And it's also pretty close to NYC so nobody's going to want to put something there because people can just go to NYC and have a million fun things to do.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top