SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching Ukraine a country that Nigeria is richer than build amazing stadiums should put us into shame.

The only decent stadium we have in Nigeria is the national stadium in Abuja :eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno: and that one is inferior to even reebok stadium the home stadium of bolton wanders in England.

Why do we do everything inferiorly?

Nigeria was the first country to build a large modern stadium in all of Africa!!. Builts in 1961.

This is liberty stadium today :eek:hno::eek:hno: ....Abandoned

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is Reebok stadium of the bolton wanders club in england.

Cost only 38 million dollars.

28k capacity.

The funny thing is that if England host the world cup tomorrow this stadium might only be a training ground for teams. We Nigerians can build something like this haba Papa God help us ooo.

Nigerians tune it on the EPL every saturday and sunday and even mondays and see world class stadiums, i wonder if something in their brain click and say why can't we build something like this in naija, but nooo they drink guiness and eat goat meat pepper soup.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are the stadiums we parade in oil rich Nigeria What a joke!

Calabar stadium

Inferior shit

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
GG
5,877 Posts
Because it will be a waste of money to many cash strapped states. They have better things to worry about, roads, schools, security [lol]. As a matter of fact Its only in African and 3rd world countries that I have heard of the government building stadiums [apart from a national stadium]. In the developed world it is the private sector or a ppp that builds stadiums.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
In Nigeria, small sized stadiums are being built and some are being renovated.

The Nigerian government has made it clear, that it will not build larger stadiums, unless the current stadiums have been maintained adequately first.

But Nigeria actually does need a lot of new stadiums. Sporting development is very important in the development of a nation.

Even with schools etc, you don't breed a healthy society. That is how they build cities in the developed world. And I have seen it with my own eyes, that developing a functional society is much more than building the basics. You need amenities & other opportunities.

Sporting development is an industry in itself that even sustains other industries.

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because it will be a waste of money to many cash strapped states. They have better things to worry about, roads, schools, security [lol]. As a matter of fact Its only in African and 3rd world countries that I have heard of the government building stadiums [apart from a national stadium]. In the developed world it is the private sector or a ppp that builds stadiums.
How long have they be worrying about that, simple light is not stable.

How much money have been wasted by our politicians?

:lol::lol:

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Nigeria, small sized stadiums are being built and some are being renovated.

The Nigerian government has made it clear, that it will not build larger stadiums, unless the current stadiums have been maintained adequately first.

But Nigeria actually does need a lot of new stadiums. Sporting development is very important in the development of a nation.

Even with schools etc, you don't breed a healthy society. That is how they build cities in the developed world. And I have seen it with my own eyes, that developing a functional society is much more than building the basics. You need amenities & other opportunities.

Sporting development is an industry in itself that even sustains other industries.
Maintained? They need renovation. It seems they are ok with status quo like always.

The national stadium in lagos have been abandoned since 2003.

Why not make a deal with chinese to renovate the whole stadium also the liberty stadium, liberation stadium, sani abacha stadium in kano, calabar stadium, ahmadou bello stadium in kaduna!

40 million dollars is what it cost zambia to have the chinese build this marvelous stadium.

How much will it take to renovate all those stadium i mentioned it won't be more than 100 million dollars.

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
They say that Abuja's stadium looks like an abandon lot now :?:no:

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
The pitch has been cleared, it will soon be returned to its proper state.

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
GG
5,877 Posts
They say that Abuja's stadium looks like an abandon lot now :?:no:
It is, grass has pretty much over grown the entire facilities LINK

That is what happens when you have a government build and finance stadiums. This is why in the west its the private sector that builds these type of stadiums. Its usually large sport teams that builds this because they have a large fanbase that will pay tickets to go to the stadium. The stadium constantly gets used and constantly is maintained.

Abuja stadium on the other hand, who the hell plays there, nobody. the super eagles dont even play there anymore, the play in smaller stadiums around the country. the track and field teams practice in lagos and calabar. they are no NPL football teams that play there etc. Abuja stadium is a waste, like evry other government funded stadium.

Why build it if you have nothing to host, why build it if you dont even have the fanbase to attend an event. Many of these stadium IMO are so people can boast and say were have this or that.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Yes that has been cleared ^^

·
Hanging the boots up
9,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is, grass has pretty much over grown the entire facilities LINK

That is what happens when you have a government build and finance stadiums. This is why in the west its the private sector that builds these type of stadiums. Its usually large sport teams that builds this because they have a large fanbase that will pay tickets to go to the stadium. The stadium constantly gets used and constantly is maintained.

Abuja stadium on the other hand, who the hell plays there, nobody. the super eagles dont even play there anymore, the play in smaller stadiums around the country. the track and field teams practice in lagos and calabar. they are no NPL football teams that play there etc. Abuja stadium is a waste, like evry other government funded stadium.

Why build it if you have nothing to host, why build it if you dont even have the fanbase to attend an event. Many of these stadium IMO are so people can boast and say were have this or that.
And it cost almost as much as the Durban stadium in south africa but you can then the difference by the standards of both stadiums.....i hate the stadium in abuja....this is what the govt wasted their nigerian money on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts