SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
I Love You, Myself.
5,150 Posts
because they enjoy life more? LOL I don't know probably thanks to the spanish culture I mean there's more brick and south americans cities tends to be more greener

·
Registered
20,302 Posts
Maybe this is a pattern that is already part of Latin architectural identity. Always influenced by the Iberian countries.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
^^ Appart from the colonial districts this couldn't be further away from the truth... At least in the countries I have been too (I don't know about Brazil). And anyways, the urbanism patterns are just too different, I haven't seen one latin-American city that actually does look like a spanish city. It'd be like saying that french and north African cities look the same just because of a few colonial areas here and there.

And even colonial architecture - in Spain's case - was quite different from what was built at the time in Spain itself.

·
Registered
20,302 Posts
^^If you look at the color of the roofs, styles of houses, streets, etc., you will see a great similarity.

·
I Love You, Myself.
5,150 Posts
^^ :lol: don't pay attention he have something against south america is not the first time and everyone knows that

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
^^If you look at the color of the roofs, styles of houses, streets, etc., you will see a great similarity.
I admit this is only about the countries I know (Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico), it's maybe like you describe in Brazil, I don't know.

The only thing that is somehow similar in what you said is about the roofs, where sometimes Roman tiles are used. But in Peru for example, roman tiles are mostly used in the mountain region where the rest of the houses, the village structures etc. tend to follow pre-colombian models.

Another similarity could come from the "plaza mayor" which is in almost every city (in the countries I've been too), appart from that I don't see many similarities. Especially when you consider that the urban history in these latin American countries has been very different to that of Spain. (massive rural to urban migrations with little industrialisation in little time where the new urbanites auto-constructed their own homes following rural paterns. Whereas in Spain the central government responded to these kind of phenomenons by building blocks everywhere).

Off-topic: Bringme, how is what I said even anti-south American? Don't forget what I told you in the other thread. I'm anti people like you, nothing more :).

·
I Love You, Myself.
5,150 Posts
Off-topic: Bringme, how is what I said even anti-south American? Don't forget what I told you in the other thread. I'm anti people like you, nothing more :)

:|

And I'm probably anti people like you who thinks knows everything but don't have idea about nothing :D

·
I Love You, Myself.
5,150 Posts
So good for you too :D

So yeah thanks to the colonial architecture and Spanish influences that's why most of them look more colorful ;)

·
Oh Gloria Inaccesible
9,135 Posts
Why are Asians workaholics? why are French glutenous? Why do Africans have so much sex? Why are Fins so depressive? Why are Americans so ignorant? Why are Russians so cranky? Etc, etc, etc...

Questions along those lines. :)

·
Oh Gloria Inaccesible
9,135 Posts
Btw: Latin American cities are the best of the worst, and the worst of the best.

·
Oh Gloria Inaccesible
9,135 Posts

·
18,522 Posts
^^ Nope you are not going to find the same charming feeling in the US or Europe
That's just a bit ignorant. For example, my city is quite colourful despite being a Northern European city:

Take a look at this photo thread. Sure it might not be quite as colourful as Latin American cities overall, but it certainly is colourful.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts