Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, as I've said in the past, I'm planning on moving to LA next year from the east coast (DC/Baltimore). I'm looking for a change. I've visited LA numerous times and something just feels "right" about it. When I'm there, I feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be (I'm being serious. I'm a little weird like that). I don't get that feeling back here on the East Coast.

I understand that LA is an enormous city and metro area, and with that comes numerous problems. However, in my research, I've been reading forums and it seems like Los Angeles, more so than any other city, has the most citizens who absolutely hate their hometown. Why is this? Does this place really have such serious problems? Some of these people are absolutely miserable (particularly on the LA forum at city-data) I've heard natives describe LA as a "wasteland" and a "third world country".

I'm coming from Maryland, which also has its problems (we were just ranked No.1 in murders last year and the DC area has the 3rd worst traffic in the nation). There are also a lot of people here in MD who complain about decreasing quality of life. However, I can also see that there are many good things about living in this state and that it's not all gloom and doom. Will I be able to do the same thing in LA or is the crime just evenly spread throughout the entire region?

Okay, I'm rambling here, so here's what I'm trying to say. I've had my heart set on moving to LA for a long time now. It's not just because I want "warm weather" or "beaches and mountains". If that was all I wanted, I'd also be considering San Diego. It's something deeper than that for me. I've grown to love the city from afar through my numerous past visits and reading message boards like this one. However, there are other boards that aren't necessarily making me rethink my decision to move to LA, but are making me a little more apprehensive about the future. So I just wanted to get your thoughts on this. Why do so many Angelenos hate LA and will I be able to live a relatively safe/happy life here without having to move to an isolated enclave in Bel Air? Thanks.

·
8,235 Posts
...because of all the damn mexicans who refuse to go through the legal system and learn English. Duh. :lol:

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
The media, which is controlled by corporations based in NYC, propagates a lack of self-pride about Los Angeles. A great deal of Angelenos are *not* natives, and come here with the mindset that this is not their hometown (particularly those originally from NYC or Chicago) and thus have no need to respect it or care to improve it, it's is only a place to make money/be a star and nothing else.

Then again most "natives" (the ones actually from here) you talk to most likely grew up in the suburbs and not Los Angeles proper, and thus do not actually know the city.

I don't know where you get your data from. Most people in the Los Angeles forum are natives and we love this city, if we didn't we wouldn't bother posting here.

I am a native Angeleno who loves Los Angeles. I won't even abbreviate it (actually "Los Angeles" *is* an abbreviation!). I believe all Angelenos who don't love this city should move the **** out.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
...because of all the damn mexicans who refuse to go through the legal system and learn English. Duh. :lol:
Mexicans don't whine and complain nearly as much as those NY transplants.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know where you get your data from. Most people in the Los Angeles forum are natives and we love this city, if we didn't we wouldn't bother posting here.
I don't really get the negative vibe from this forum. It's mostly from other message boards (particuarly, city-data.com like I said earlier). I understand that there are miserable people everywhere, it seems like everyone around the country loves to bash Los Angeles, including the people who live there. I just don't understand why because from what I've seen, it's a wonderful place to be. It's certainly not for everyone, but I don't see it as the awful hell hole that some say it is.

I believe all Angelenos who don't love this city should move the **** out.
I'd be all for that. Less traffic!

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
I believe all Angelenos who don't love this city should move the **** out.
Agreed. All the haters are better off leaving than anything else. There are plenty of people in line who would gladly take their spots.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Mikey, it's not what other people think, it's what you think. By the looks of it, you seem pretty set on Los Angeles and that's great. If you really want to move here, then nothing should stop you.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
To answer the original question, I think the primary cause of all the hate from Angelenos themselves is due to the insane traffic. For example, there are plenty of videos on YouTube where an Angeleno is stuck in traffic and they make a little comment like, "You want to move to Los Angeles? Well this is what you have to put up with every single day."

I mean, that's honestly the only thing I know of that would warrant such hate. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we Angelenos don't like the traffic situation. Yet at the same time, we are able to look past that and appreciate this great city and all that it has to offer. I have to ask myself why other Angelenos can't do the same? I mean, is the traffic really that bad? Bad enough to the point where all one can do is sit there and make disparaging comments? I think not.

·
Smile!
609 Posts
People bash L.A. here because we are not that super dense pre-WW2, european-inspired archeitecture, skyscraperdrunk city like most people like here. I even heard people say L.A. has no history.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
I don't really get the negative vibe from this forum. It's mostly from other message boards (particuarly, city-data.com like I said earlier). I understand that there are miserable people everywhere, it seems like everyone around the country loves to bash Los Angeles, including the people who live there. I just don't understand why because from what I've seen, it's a wonderful place to be. It's certainly not for everyone, but I don't see it as the awful hell hole that some say it is.
I think the nature of this SSC forum, which spotlights developments and improvements in various cities in the world, lends to a more optimistic view of the city (or any city) than other forums you've visited. I don't know what they're like, but I would imagine most people's knowledge of their city from those forums is what they see everyday and what they hear on the 11 o'clock news. They won't know that there's a growing Downtown or new transit lines or a revitalized Los Angeles River until they are finished. If those people are actually aware of those things, they would be more eager to envision a future for this city, rather than dwell on things like skid row, gridlock traffic or a concrete flood control channel littered with shopping carts.

For most of us here in the SSC/LA forums, we are anticipating a brighter future for our city based on the news and knowledge that's shared here. True there are everyday problems, but that is not all there is to talk about regarding our city here.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
To answer the original question, I think the primary cause of all the hate from Angelenos themselves is due to the insane traffic. For example, there are plenty of videos on YouTube where an Angeleno is stuck in traffic and they make a little comment like, "You want to move to Los Angeles? Well this is what you have to put up with every single day."
I've seen worse traffic in other cities the world...Even the 405 on a Friday evening is *nothing* compared to what I've seen...

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Why is Mikey001 so insecure about moving to Los Angeles in the first place. He just mentioned he's been here more than once and it felt like he was at home when he was here. So why even bring up this topic here since the majority of us are happy campers. Who cares what they say in those other forums and yet I'm glad those negative individuals are packing and moving out. We definitely don't need those kind of people in our city anyways.

So mikeyo001 grow some balls and learn how to make your own decisions!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't hate Los Angeles at all, I love living here. Also no one I personally know hate living here. Also many of these same folks that complain probably haven't lived on been anywhere else. People are easily swayed by other folks opinions, and the media has a hand in this as well. Los Angeles isn't a utopia by no means, but its also not a waste land and is one of the most exciting and beautiful cities around. I've been to a lot of cities around the USA, and even though I like many of them, there is only a few that would be my choice of places to live. New York City would be my 2nd choice after Los Angeles. But even NYC would be a bit too much at times, and only if I was well off and could afford to I would only live there only a few months out of the year, and the rest in LA.

You know what you like, and already experienced LA, and you like what you felt and seen. That is all that matters, what makes you happy. If I would have listen to others when I moved to Chicago, I wouldn't have never took the chance. Also NYC has not always had a good reputation. Same with Chicago, as many of my co-workers and thought the city was a dump. I even lived in a decent area on the north side, and many of my suburbanite co-workers even looked down on it, just because it was the city. A friend I knew from the LA metro who originally was from Chicagoland once said Chicago was very dangerous. They told me I should consider living in the burbs, they were from Arlington Heights, IL.

Now what if I had listen to them? Glad I didn't, I had a nice time in Chicago. Still Los Angeles is home for me and I had to move back. I'm a native Angeleno, and really missed this great city. There is no place like it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
When interacting with "real life" Angelenos I have meet few who hate LA. Mostly everyone I know who lives here or is from here likes or loves it.

In the media and east coast I find a lot of LA haters. Many who have never even been here!

·
Entre Mundos
2,084 Posts
don't you get banned for making this kind of comment??? it doesn't have anything to do with what Mikey is asking :eek:hno: ...

well mikey all I can tell you is that certaintly you can't be racist against mexicans like this guy if you are planning to live in California.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
don't you get banned for making this kind of comment??? it doesn't have anything to do with what Mikey is asking :eek:hno: ...

well mikey all I can tell you is that certaintly you can't be racist against mexicans like this guy if you are planning to live in California.
Well G-man is from South Carolina...you know, they wave the Confederate flag down there...He probably burns crosses during the weekends...

1 - 20 of 308 Posts