SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to the Supertalls thread and Dubai has heaps of these going up. (300m+). I wish Brisbane would get some. It'll look awesome.

Hurry Up!!!!!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Even the most rudimentary understanding of supply/demand, property, commerce or any similar topics will tell you very quickly why we don't have supertalls.

It really is an extremely obvious question.

Low population, wide open spaces, lack of demand, relatively smaller growth rates compared to the likes of Dubai, planning restrictions. I don't know... Knock yourself out and think of 10,000 more reasons why.

Forget about supertalls and focus on what we actually can do.

·
Regular User
970 Posts
Airplanes will crash in to them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You're all wrong. It's because of the hole in the ozone layer. We're not allowed to build over 300m in Brizzy because people on the top floors will get sunburnt...

·
446 Posts
You're all wrong. It's because of the hole in the ozone layer. We're not allowed to build over 300m in Brizzy because people on the top floors will get sunburnt...
actually it's because the people on the top floors will be able to look into the yards of most Brisbane schools, creating a haven for pedophiles.

it's about time somebody thought of the children.

·
®
6,018 Posts
:lol:

I always thought that it was because of airplanes and the viability of running services in them.. (Water in particular) you'd need a good pump at the top)?

·
NICE HAT.....
395 Posts
Couldn't find a specific page to put this in but thought I'd do a quick photoshop job as I just got back from NYC and wondered what 1WTC would look like in Brisbane.
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
NICE HAT.....
395 Posts
Looks huge I know, I thought that too when I finished it. I tried to measure it accurately through SSP so should be about right. Tallest comparison would be riparions spire which is 250m and 1wtc is 541m to spire, so nearly 300m difference!
Just for shits and giggles anyway:)

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Not sufficient demand.
Insufficient ego and tighter planning laws are Brisbane's problems. You'll find the taller skyscrapers being built in places which have poorer planning laws. A community desperate to be noticed on a regional or world scale will often allow supertalls, which is also related to ego. IMO Dubai and many east Asian cities are good examples of this.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Freedom Tower is well suited to Brisbane but economics mean towers like this wont be built either in Brisbane or elsewhere in Australia.

Its usually the cowboys like Alan Bond that claim to have money to throw who propose them.

I'm surprised that someone like Clive Palmer that has money to burn has not even tried proposing a supertall in Queensland.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Clive Palmer is throwing is money away into other things such as giant robotic dinosaurs and Titanic replicas.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It's because in Australia and especially in Queensland, there has been a love affair with the quarter acre block and the idea that everyone can and should own a house out in the burbs, washing your 3 or 4 cars on the front footpath, growing endless expanses of grass and then sitting in gridlocked traffic during the working week! Apartment living is fairly new in our history and even today many people are dead against living in let alone building tall buildings! (remember when Jim Soorley fell off his chair at the Emerald proposal?)

There is a slow moving shift that is well underway to embrace high density living that will eventually one day lead supertalls being built, most likely similiar to the mixed-use style of Riparian Plaza.

I think that Brisbane will by the end of this decade will be home to a few supertalls in excess of 300m, Harry Trig-whats his name will have Meritons everywhere eventually!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts