Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I came across this article and I thought that I should post it and hear your opinions regarding South Africa. I know that plenty of South Africans and most specifically blacks and coloured people love Germany as well because of their style of football and as they records puts it, German cars are the most bought and loved cars in South Africa. VW, BMW, AUDI and Mercedes are the big sellers, combined, followed by the French and Japanese. Ok, may be I need not ot mension this but American cars are not making it in South Africa. I would really appriciate your comments.

Why Germans love South Africa

SOMERSET WEST has acquired a name for itself as Little Germany, due to the many German nationals who have made the town their home. It is difficult to put an exact figure to the number of German people living in the greater Helderberg area, particularly since some of them don't live here permanently, but rather spend four to six months here on holiday during Germany's colder seasons. Some estimates, however, have put the number of German people living in the greater Helderberg area at close to 5 000.

The DistrictMail interviewed some German residents to find out why they have chosen to live in South Africa. The three couples with whom the 'Mail spoke all singled out the friendliness of South Africans as the most important reason for their settling in the country. For them, South Africans are sunny and bright, whereas Europeans, according to them, are more time-driven and rule-bound.

Winfred Löffler, a past president of the Helderberg Rotary Club in Somerset West, has lived in Somerset West since 1995. He is from the German town of Braunscheig, but has not been in Germany since 1963. Now retired, he used to be in the hotel business and he and his wife, Vera, lived in a number of African countries before settling in South Africa.

Mr Löffler first encountered Somerset West in 1993 while on holiday from Johannesburg, and so liked the town that he decided to retire here. Why? The weather, he says, is one of the most important aspects of life, and he loves Somerset West's warm summers and mild winters. "There's no winter as such", he says, "so you don't have to run away." The Löfflers have lived in a number of countries around the world, but for them, South Africa offers the best quality of life out of all. The cost of living in the country is also extremely reasonable, Mr Löffler says. He believes that South Africans enjoy a better quality of life on their salaries than Germans can on theirs.

Barbara and Hermann Tofaute lectured in sport at the University of Cologne. They also encountered Somerset West while on holiday, and have been living here since November 1998, when Professor Tofaute was granted a sabbatical from the university. He later had his sabbatical extended for seven years because he liked South Africa so much. His sabbatical ends in 2006, but Mrs Tofaute says that if he wants to go back to Germany, he will have to go alone, because she likes South Africa too much to leave. The country is wonderful, she says, mentioning the friendly people and rich way of life as things she does not want to lose.

Helping the poor
Mrs Tofaute has also found expression for her big heart and is making a huge difference to a very poor community in Sir Lowry's Pass. Her heart was touched one day when she passed a poor woman walking with firewood along the side of the road. She gave her a lift, and from that moment on was involved in the Sir Lowry's Pass community. She has channelled nearly R200 000 into the community since 2001, mostly through donations from friends in Germany. Her love for the poor Sir Lowry's Pass community is one of the reasons why she does not want to go back to Germany. She also loves being around South Africans, saying that after five years of being in the country, their carefree and happy disposition has rubbed off on her. Mrs Tofaute says that it is easy to distinguish a German tourist from a German who has been living in South Africa for some time: the tourist, she says, will talk loudly and will want things done immediately, while the resident will be more relaxed.

Hans and Elisabeth Lobach moved to Somerset West in 2000. Mr Lobach is a past president of the Somerset West Rotary Club. Mr and Mrs Lobach have been in South Africa for 38 years. Mr Lobach is an engineer by profession and hails from the Rhineland, while Mrs Lobach was born in Hanover and later lived in the Black Forest area. They met in India while working for the same company. They are now in retirement in Somerset West.

Mr and Mrs Lobach have been actively involved in Rotary since 1959, ever since Mr Lobach was a founder member of the Rotary Club in New Germany near Durban in South Africa. Mr and Mrs Lobach have made a very constructive contribution to South Africa during their time here so far.

Together with the Lutheran Church, they helped establish a German school and crèche in Durban. In 1979, Mr Lobach's Rotary Club built the first old age home for black people in South Africa.

When Mr Lobach visited Germany in 1994 to check on the properties he owns there, he says he was asked whether he would be returning to Germany, as he had just gone into retirement. He replied "What for?". "South Africa has 50% more sunshine", he said, "and 50% less cars on the Autobahn."

But the most important thing, he says, is the attitude of the people in the country. In Germany, Mr Lobach says, there is a pessimistic outlook. In South Africa there is more vigour. And when you greet someone here, they actually smile and greet you in return.

·
Registered
511 Posts
In Germany there are two kind of images of South Africa portrayed. One is that of a sunshine country with easy and relaxed living and the other one is that of a high crime country with an increasing anti-white attitude causing many of its inhabitants to flee to Australia and New Zealand. I had a girl in class which lived in South Africa during her childhood and wanted to return there, so she obviously liked it very much. But then again I know a medical student who went to South Africa for a year because only there he had the chance to see gunshot and other severe wounds every day which he saw as a great preparation for his goal to become a surgeon. I really have problems to combine these two images to a cohesive picture since I have never been to South Africa myself.

·
BreitesBündnisDWF
7,534 Posts
been there a few years ago. seemed to me like an exotic version of the us south. i didnt encountered any crime or anti-white attitude but then again i was just a little touri stepping around

im surprised any one still loves ze germans because of their football style

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments, yes there is crime in South Africa caused by mostly illegal immigrants. I must say that the government is trying all its best to eradicate it and I must say that slowly its getting there. Not all over South Africa you get the crime, I must sat the main problem area is around Johannesburg but with the introduction of Skorpion, Metro Police and SAPS things are getting better and better. I must say that Cape Town, Durban and other parts are very low crime areas.

I must say that plenty of whites who are leaving South Africa are afraid of challenges.
As Il felomeno, there is not Anti-white thing happening in SA, but this guys are afraid of the black economic empowerment. Our government doesn't chase them away but its just says that the wealth of the country must be shared by everyone and not a specific. Its so amazing that Europeans invest more in SA while some people are saying that there's an anti-white thing going on.

In SA, you find Europe, the west, the east and Africa. Cape Town is more European, Durban is more eastern and Joburg is a mixture of them all. You can do Mountain Hiking, Ice Skating, Play the world's most famous sports e.g Soccer, Rugby, Golf, Cricket, Athletics and plenty others. I hope you guys will be here for the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

·
***H***
4,513 Posts

·
***H***
4,513 Posts
Meck-Pomm isn't ideal, but it's much better than many places in Europe, for example, better than provinces of UK or Ireland.

·
***H***
4,513 Posts
You are welcome. :)

·
Banned
150 Posts
Der Beginn einer romantischen Liebesgeschichte :)

...die damit endet, dass der gehörnte Kampfstein König Erbse mit seinem Szepter erschlägt

·
***H***
4,513 Posts

·
***H***
4,513 Posts
Was war besser ?

·
***H***
4,513 Posts
Goodbye :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.