1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why I love Louisville:

Old Louisville
Best Neighborhood in Louisville PERIOD

I always feel comfortable in Old Louisville especially in the summer. When i lived on campus at uofl I used to walk all the way from belknap campus to broadway just o take pictures.

Baxtor Ave, and Bardstown Road.

I love this section of Louisville because i used to go to Atherton high school before i transfered to Shawnee, and I would always walk around the highlands area. It was pretty amazing being 16 years old from the west end, and being able to get away from it all with a long walk around bardstown road and baxter ave. Iwouldn't trade a night in Ear-Xtacy with friends for anything.

The Near Park Duvalle

I used to live in Park Duvalle when it was the Southwick and Cotter homes housing projects. Its a very different neighborhood today, and i'm proud to see sow it has improved. It still has a long way to go because it hasn't seen a lot of growth in businesses and liqour stores are still on the corners.

Shawnee Land

I'm sure everyone knows about shawnee land, its composed mainly of the Shawnee PArk and Chickasaw park neighborhoods. These sued to be all white neighborhoods but a large portion of whites left during desegregation. Today it is pretty much all black but i'm sure anybody of any color woul denjoy living in Shawnee Land.

Why I hate Louisville.

Downtown Night Life Sucks.....

Sorry, but I haven't been to a club downtown in about 2 years. Why? Because there are no clubs that appeal to young black men like myself downtown. You can't convince me with a million dollars to go into the Red Chetah just so i can get a headache listening to Tecno music. O'meilly's corner used to be fun to go to...back when i was 16, but I hated having to walk across the country music dance floor just to get into the section that played hip hop music. And even that was pretty lame, because all the hip hop music they played was from the late 80's and early 90's...you can only listen to Sir-mix-alot for so long untill you vomit from the annoyance of his music.

Segregation of people, and businesses....

Yes, you can't deny it, its pretty obvious. I'd challenge any Louisville forumer on this site to ride a bus from Baxtor Ave & Broadway all the way to Shawnee park and back and see how segregated this city is...I used to do it everyday when i attended Atherton. If you take a bus from shawnee park up broadway a white person will probably not get on untill you reach 10th and broadway.

This city is so segregated it makes me sick sometimes. There are literally some neighborhoods in this city that if you lived in one and never came out of it your entire life, you would have never seen someone of a different race. There are schools in this city that you can go to and not have had a black teacher or classmate for the entire time you where there....there are stores in this city that black people have never stepped foot into because chances are they probably didn't know they existed because they are so far from the city.

The west end has about 120,000 residence, maybe more, yet the only large mall it has is Lyles Mall which was built in the 70's. Why is it that the highlands has all of the retail in the city when it has about the same, maybe less, residence than the west end? Why is it that the only movie theater built in the west end went bankrupt and is vacant on Broadway.

Why is that everything is being done to improve everywhere but the West End? How much money did they put into 4th st. Live? Why is it that not even have of that was put into funding businesses in the West End?...I hate how everything built in the West End is second class. The broadway cinemas was nothing compared to the other theaters in the city. The new housing being built, even though it is helpful, is cheap as plastic.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Damn Soulbrotha, Louisville seems like such a cool city. That first pic is awesome. Are those houses? Louisville has some beautiful old buildings. Are you from Louisville? Your pics are great.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Unfortunately segregation is a fact of life in many cities, particularly those with an older urban core. Not saying it's right, but not even gentrification is helping out.

Ear-X-Tacy is one of my favorite record stores by the way....

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
TheBrad said:
Unfortunately segregation is a fact of life in many cities, particularly those with an older urban core. Not saying it's right, but not even gentrification is helping out.

Ear-X-Tacy is one of my favorite record stores by the way....
"Ear-X-Tacy", cool name. I like "Ear-gasm" better, though. LOL. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey not to sound like a prick but you keep asking "why" and i think i have your answers. People have tried to invest in the WEst End, but everything always goes bankrupt... why? If a store goes bankrupt you can't get mad that it shuts down, that's just good business sense.. example: Broadway Cinemas. I never went there... never had a reason to...but it seems the citizens in that area did not support the cinema enough to keep it alive. You can't expect people to drive to tthe West End to see a movie when there is a movie theatre closer to home. The same goes with a mall. Nobody that lives outside of the west end is going to drive there to go to the mall when there are 5 other ones that are closer.. i'm sure that some people will, but not enough to make a huge impact. If a business is built in the west end, it has to be supported by the citizens of that area, and i don't think that is happening. I have no idea how to fix this, but that;s how i see the problem... any other views?

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Damn Soulbrotha, that's some powerful shiite. I think I might cry . . . :cry:

BTW, segregation is a problem everywhere. In downtown Augusta, there are some train tracks that divide the city.
On one side is the Hill and Medical Center, both very rich, and on the other side is some projects and low-income houses, very poor.
Guess which side is the home of most of Augusta's black population? :eek:hno:

Segregation is a fact of life, and we have to live with that. :(

On a lighter note, why don't you just blame your problems on crooked politicians like everyone else. :colgate:

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Sorry, Soulbrotha. I share your sentiments, to an extint. Roanoke is pretty divided, for its population. You have to very distinct area where White's and Black's reside. Luckily, there have been some cool movements to restore the black district, and make it a sort-of 'tourist' attraction for African-Americans in the South. Partly becasue its one of the few cities that is focusing on revitalizing areas like that.
But I hope Louisville will soon see its problems, and at least try to correct them.

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
raqoff25 said:
Hey not to sound like a prick but you keep asking "why" and i think i have your answers. People have tried to invest in the WEst End, but everything always goes bankrupt... why? If a store goes bankrupt you can't get mad that it shuts down, that's just good business sense.. example: Broadway Cinemas. I never went there... never had a reason to...but it seems the citizens in that area did not support the cinema enough to keep it alive. You can't expect people to drive to tthe West End to see a movie when there is a movie theatre closer to home. The same goes with a mall. Nobody that lives outside of the west end is going to drive there to go to the mall when there are 5 other ones that are closer.. i'm sure that some people will, but not enough to make a huge impact. If a business is built in the west end, it has to be supported by the citizens of that area, and i don't think that is happening. I have no idea how to fix this, but that;s how i see the problem... any other views?
I may be wrong, but didn't galleria go bankrupt, or nearly go? And look at it now. Why is the west end the only part of the city where people have to drive 10-30 minutes from just to see a good movie, or find a good grocery store.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
I would consider moving if something bothered me that much. But, I don't really know the circumstances, etc.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It has to do with investors...no offense but no one wants to invest in such a risky area with such a high crime rate. Segregation happens and we are still feeling the ripple effects and this is one of them. The city can give tax breaks on something like fourth street live but a developer has to show an interest (common sense). The Highlands is the way it is because small business owners have invested and people frequent (there really arent many chains in the highlands, or city invested institution other than a library), if west end powers invested in their own local business and it succeeded you would feel the same effect. The city isnt in the business of starting businesses, they can give tax breaks and do in many cases, but like I said the interest has to be there.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
JRQ said:
I would consider moving if something bothered me that much. But, I don't really know the circumstances, etc.
I find that many people in depressed area's of Louisville without transport (or even with) find it hard to get out, it is the same in many cities with mediocre job offerings (for those without 50000 degrees) to just up and leave so many peopel have to call certain places their home sheerly for it being affordable, and it sucks that certain people (neighbors usually) have to be so careless with their neighborhood and dont realize that even though they are economically depressed (white black cuban or asian) that they are not going to further their families by dealing/doing drugs or killing and in turn make the neighborhood bad for the rest of the populous. Not to mention crooked cops, and police stations full of people who say things such as 'oh that area is too bad let them fight it out' etc. (I have seen that first hand). Its all dog eat dog politics and it all goes back to why the pissed off people are pissed off and kill rob and steal....facts of life, unfortunately.

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SChristopher said:
It has to do with investors...no offense but no one wants to invest in such a risky area with such a high crime rate.
the west end is full of money making industry...just not the kind that we need.

All these companis making millions of dollars in rubbertown, yet we can have a little decent mall on west broadway or something?

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now the West End only has one major grocery store (Krogers).... thats pretty sad for an area with over 120,000 people.

Buehler will close four groceries
Former Winn-Dixies were acquired in fall

Buehler Food shopper Samiyyah Sledge of the West End, with daughter Jemiyah Johnson, said destination shoppers tend to go to the suburbs. (BY KEITH WILLIAMS, THE COURIER-JOURNAL)
By David Goetz
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal

Buehler Foods is closing four of the 16 groceries it bought from Winn-Dixie last fall, apparently because they couldn't pull their weight in sales.

The stores at 5252 Bardstown Road, 2809 W. Broadway, 3430 Taylor Blvd. and 1148 S. Fourth St. will begin liquidation sales shortly, the company said yesterday, and their closing dates will be announced soon.

Buehler didn't say how many jobs will be affected but promised to place as many workers as possible in its 12 remaining stores.

The small chain, based in Jasper, Ind., bought the Louisville stores after Winn-Dixie announced in April of last year that it was leaving Kentucky and other nearby states to concentrate on its stronger markets in the South.

The purchase was part of a larger deal for 40 Winn-Dixie stores brokered by Buehler's Kansas-based wholesaler and involved other independent chains.

Buehler President Kris Buehler Massat said the block of stores would give the company the "critical mass" it would need to enter the Louisville market in competition with Kroger, Wal-Mart and Meijer.

Massat also said in November that a chance to buy the stores came fairly quickly and that Buehler hadn't considered the status of each store as closely as it would have liked.

In a statement yesterday Massat said that in buying all the Winn-Dixie stores in Louisville "we took possession of some locations that, in our view, will not support our long-term plans" for the market. Neither Massat nor a company spokesman returned several calls seeking comment.

Shoppers at the Fourth Street store yesterday expressed mild surprise that it was closing so soon after Buehler took over, but not a lot of disappointment.

Melissa Badian, who lives in the neighborhood, said she liked the store as an alternative to the Kroger a few blocks away on Second Street because she could comparison shop.

Bill and Malika Hardin were at the Buehler store because Bill kept his prescriptions on file there when Winn-Dixie left. For grocery shopping they prefer the Kroger in Shively or Save-A-Lot. Buehler's prices are too high, Bill Hardin said.

People shopping for sales or using it as a convenience store aren't enough to make a full-sized grocery profitable. Such stores need destination shoppers who'll return weekly.

And those shoppers tend to migrate to the suburban megastores and discounters, said Samiyyah Sledge, a West End resident.

"If it was a little closer, I probably would go to Wal-Mart," she said. "Kroger's OK when they have their sales, but I don't care much for the Kroger's down here. … A lot of people like to go farther out because (the stores) are a little nicer. "
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050415/BUSINESS/504150351/1003
-------------------------------------

Its crazy that people have to drive half way across the city to shop at a decent grocery store.

Get ready for another big ass vacant building to occupy Broadway.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Soulbrotha said:
the west end is full of money making industry...just not the kind that we need.

All these companis making millions of dollars in rubbertown, yet we can have a little decent mall on west broadway or something?
Sadly a good deal of it has to do with the fact that a good many who work in the west end dont actually live there, which means ultimately they dont spend money there. No doubt that if there was even a chilis restaurant there (i know you dont like chains, but just reaching here) many people would probably go there, it is just the matter of bringing in the investers who bring these things in. Unfortunately since the suburbanization, people work in the city and live and shop in the burbs leaving it to die at night which is not right but the way things have gone.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Shame that Winn Dixie had to close down though, I had been there a few times and it was much nicer than the Kroger down there. Again I guess it is all about the ultimate ending profit and not the people.

·
Banned
795 Posts
The bigger the city, the WORSE the segregation! Name me one city that is not segregated. ATL, STL, Chicago, Detroit (BIG TIME). Don't single out Louisville.

I have lived in Chicago for almost a year. It is 10 times worse!!!! You think west Louisville is deprived of business? Ha! Come to Garfield Park or anywhere on the west side of Chicago. It looks like a bomb has hit. Unfortunately, America is messed up. But really, why don't you do something about it. Tell those thugs to quit slumming crack and killing each other. If you don't know them, try and form a community club for youth, or help the Reverend Coleman get kids off the street. If you don't like it, move. If you wanna see your neighborhood improve, do something about it.

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Creating business in an area isn't about philanthropy, it's about business, companies will only invest in an area if they see a profit out of it. If I was an investor honestly there is no way that I would invest in the west end because the medium income is so low, especially if it were some kind of mall development. theres simply not the income to support that kind of development, especially compared to the Highlands, or just about anywhere east of Bardstown Rd.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts