Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fail to understand why forumers and people in general don't give Philadelphia the attention it truly deserves. It's CLEARLY the 2nd most urban place in America after New York and Center City is the most vibrant place in the country after Midtown Manhattan. Not to mention Philly has the largest collection of narrow streets, the most active bike culture, and the Mecca of American History. Philly deserves as much national attention as New York of DC and certainly more than SF, Chicago, LA, or Boston. Also, don't you agree that the Mummers Parade should replace the Rose Bowl for national broadcast and they should show Philly's 4th of July celebration instead of New York's? Or Thanksgiving parade, when Philly has the nation's oldest parade they decide to televise fecking New York.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
I don't think Philly is underrated. Its the 7th or 8th largest metro and tends to fit in just about correctly in most rankings that I've seen. One of the best cities for US history; high rankings for urban living; unfortunately doesn't seem to do as well in rankings on economic growth, population growth and cleanliness. Its a pretty cool city, but to say it deserves more attention than San Francisco or D.C. just isn't right. Rose Bowl parade is pretty special. That would be difficult for the Mummer's parade to replace.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Philadelphia gets just about as much attention as it should. It's a middle of the road large U.S. city - that's it. There are several cities ahead of Philly on most people's lists. Get over it.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Philly is the real 2nd city of the U.S. It's more historically important than Chicago, San Francisco, or LA. And it's more urban than Boston or DC. Or how about having the 3rd largest museum district, theater 2nd only to Broadway, and a classical music scene that's beyond anything else in this country? Or the Made in America festival? It's only 3 years old and already draws bigger crowds than Chicago's Lollapalooza!

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think Philly is underrated. Its the 7th or 8th largest metro
No, Philly's the 5th largest city and metro. There's no official data that Houston has passed it neither.

One of the best cities for US history; high rankings for urban living;
Philly has the best downtown and it's not "one of the best cities for U.S. history." It's THE CITY for U.S. history. Again, the country was founded here, as well as the most important institutions. Philly is equivalent to Islam's Mecca.

unfortunately doesn't seem to do as well in rankings on economic growth, population growth and cleanliness.
Philly is growing faster than any other city not in Sunbelt. In fact, only Dallas and Houston added more construction jobs last year. Philly's economy is pretty robust, and with Comcast the tech sector may surpass Silicon Valley. Center City is cleaner than most downtowns, New York included.

Its a pretty cool city, but to say it deserves more attention than San Francisco or D.C. just isn't right.
D.C. is only important because it's the capital and HQ's of national institutions such as Brookings. San Francisco is only the west coast's economic hub. It has no meaning in the Bos-Wash region. The Silicon Valley isn't even in the city of SF.

Rose Bowl parade is pretty special. That would be difficult for the Mummer's parade to replace.
The Rose Bowl is a prelude to a stupid football game nobody cares about. The Mummers Parade is an all city-wide party and a real way to celebrate the New Year. I've seen the Rose Bowl before and it looked like nobody was having fun or enjoying it. The Mummers; people were dancing in the streets! The Rose Bowl looked sedate compared to the Mummers.

·
centralnatbankbuildingrva
2,608 Posts
Philadelphia is the greatest city in the world, I just love the views of Decaying Ghettos from the Acela Express. Oh yeah, and their subway blows my mind, it's so perfectly dirty!!
:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.