SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are there no good small local italian restaraunts in Tampa? Italians migrated here like other places, but the pizza and italian food is sub par. On the east coast where I grew up and in Orlando all the new yorkers moved down and opened up some pretty good places. Could someone guide me to a good non-chain place? Eddie and Sam's Pizza downtown is good for example, but that is just a pizza joint. It just seems weird being an immigrant city and all.

·
10,537 Posts
zerobullchip said:
Why are there no good small local italian restaraunts in Tampa? Italians migrated here like other places, but the pizza and italian food is sub par. On the east coast where I grew up and in Orlando all the new yorkers moved down and opened up some pretty good places. Could someone guide me to a good non-chain place? Eddie and Sam's Pizza downtown is good for example, but that is just a pizza joint. It just seems weird being an immigrant city and all.
The Spaghetti Warhouse in Ybor is good, along with Gio's Italian restraunt in Carrolwood. Gio's is a little more expensive but is the best Italian place I've ever been to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you're right about the lack of good cheap Italian, and I've tried most of them in Tampa. The best I've found is Cellini's, which is pretty good and cheap, it's way down at the end of Bayshore near Ballast Point. If you want to drive to Sarasota, Cariguilos is really good too.

·
SoHo
1,039 Posts
zerobullchip said:
Bella's is good. But that is still somewhat soho.
?? Hey Zerobullchip -- what do you mean by that? :wink2:

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Quegiebo said:
?? Hey Zerobullchip -- what do you mean by that? :wink2:
While I would not consider Bella's expensive, the dinner prices have crept up a bit. I would not call it a moderate joint. Like a corner italian restaraunt.

·
SoHo
1,039 Posts
I'm a fan of Papa Louie's Pizza in S. Tampa (4110B. Henderson Blvd.) The staff is really friendly, not to mention they make one helluva tasty pizza. Damn. Now I'm hungry. . .

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
^I can't really wrap my mind around driving out to the sticks to get some italian food though. Crap, it would be like a 30-40min drive one way...

And on a slightly hypocritial note, I'm taking a date to Caraguilo's in DT Sarsota on Friday. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Johnny's Italian Restaurant puts together a good meal on SR590 (Coachman Rd.) between US19 & McMullen Booth in Clearwater. Get in there before 4pm for lunch prices, which are the same portions as dinner for like $6.00.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts