SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
To be fair, if places like Leicester or Newcastle aren't given their own forums, it's unlikely Bradford would. I don't see the harm in creating a separate subforum a bit like the Electric Press though. There seem to be so many Bradford threads because a lot of the smaller Leeds ones are just lumped into other threads, whilst comparative Bradford developments have had their own threads created.

·
*-City Of Bradford-*
1,091 Posts
Already Posted:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=779548&highlight=

I suspect there will be lots more Bradford threads coming along as more projects are announced and as more activity on current project gets under way.

Personally it would be great having a seperate section for Bradford, but Bradford and Leeds now work togehter at MIPIM so it makes sense that they are in the same thread.

·
Building Sustainability
2,777 Posts
What about having a Sub Forum called Under Construction for threads where projects are actually underway leaving all the proposed / visions / applications etc etc here. This way we would get a good split of threads from else where in the Leeds City Region in the Sub Forum: - Under Construction

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
What about having a Sub Forum called Under Construction for threads where projects are actually underway leaving all the proposed / visions / applications etc etc here. This way we would get a good split of threads from else where in the Leeds City Region in the Sub Forum: - Under Construction
What about splitting the Leeds Forum as follows:
* The Electric Press - Leeds Skybar (as present although surely on topic threads to do with development (eg: retail, economy and transport) should be moved into their relevant forums imo?)
* Leeds Developments (for developments in the Leeds area)
* Bradford Developments (for developments in the Bradford area)
* West Yorkshire and surrounding City Region developments (for developments elsewhere in the Leeds region eg: Halifax, Harrogate, Huddersfield, Wakefield and York). Perhaps they could get their own subforum if and when they get enough posts.
* Completed Projects (an archive of completed developments across Leeds and the surrounding City Region such as Bridgewater Place, Clarence Dock, Opal Tower etc)

I doubt personally that an under construction forum would get enough posts personally at this current time and would be better just to be placed into the relevant forums listed above imo.

PS: Shouldn't this be placed in the Electric Press?

·
Man of Motion
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
* The Electric Press - Leeds Skybar (as present although surely on topic threads to do with development (eg: retail, economy and transport) should be moved into their relevant forums imo?)
* West Yorkshire and surrounding City Region developments (for developments elsewhere in the Leeds region eg: Halifax, Harrogate, Huddersfield, Wakefield and York). Perhaps they could get their own subforum if and when they get enough posts.
* Completed Projects (an archive of completed developments across Leeds and the surrounding City Region such as Bridgewater Place, Clarence Dock, Opal Tower etc)

I doubt personally that an under construction forum would get enough posts personally at this current time and would be better just to be placed into the relevant forums listed above imo.

Sounds a good idea.

·
*-City Of Bradford-*
1,091 Posts

I think you should have two sections for Bradford, one for developments, Transport, Economy, ect and another for Completed Projects.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
No offence to him, but the only reason for so many Bradford thread's is because 'City of Bradford' posts them all... and then in the skybar he copies all the names of the Leeds thread's.... all part of his plan to get a Bradford forum by flooding the Leeds Forums (I think)... hehe

:lol:

·
*-City Of Bradford-*
1,091 Posts
No offence to him, but the only reason for so many Bradford thread's is because 'City of Bradford' posts them all... and then in the skybar he copies all the names of the Leeds thread's.... all part of his plan to get a Bradford forum by flooding the Leeds Forums (I think)... hehe

Its not part of a plan. I just think if Leeds can have it, why can't Bradford?

·
BAND
3,239 Posts
Basically, having the one Bradford thread 'Bradford City Centre Regeneration' was a mostly unreadable mess, had to keep jumping from topic to topic of which there was a lot. Enough people commented on how they couldn't make head nor tail of what was going on in the city from that thread. Since the new threads have been created mostly based on projects, we've been able to separate one thing from another and posts are far more on topic and shorter. It is a massive improvement from how things were.

As for Bradford Threads being on the 'Leeds Forum', this is the Leeds Metro Area forum, a forum that says in its subtitle ''Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire'', therefore shouldn't really be any qualms with there being Bradford threads on the forum. This is a shared space on the forum and development isn't only happening in Leeds.

Having said that, I don't like threads that are just created for the sake of it. For example a thread was created for the Matrix Apartments development in Bradford despite the fact the project is on hold and hasn't even started on site yet. I don't see the point in creating a thread for a project which shows no signs of starting up any time soon. Similarly threads have not been created for The Beehive Apartments project or The Channel Urban Village project as both are on hold/undeveloped (this is not a cue to create a thread). This should remain so until we see some real activity again and the same goes for anything similar. Another example of a needless thread was a 'Bradford Hotels Thread', just plain copying the 'Leeds Hotels Thread', there are already enough threads on the specific hotel projects for the city, I don't think a general discussion is required on them, and we do have to have something left to discuss on the Bradford City Centre Regeneration thread. As a result the thread had no responses.

Now I'm not trying to have a dig at you City of Bradford, but this is just some advise on how to go about on a forum and have an eye for the editorial. An over proliferation of new threads when there is not enough activity to support it is unnecessary. If the project is pretty major and looks set to get underway, i.e. under construction, fair enough post a thread, but best hold back on the whole as these projects have a habit of disappearing. Having said that though, I'm not sure that all the Leeds forumers stick to the same rule, maybe because there's more hope in the project getting going there, but there is a vast backlog of Leeds related threads that are pretty much dead, some at birth. Also if you have a group of photos you want to post, please please please put them on the Bradford Picture Thread which you yourself created. Unless some of the photos relate to current projects, just use that thread as it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to photographs and images of the city in general rather than on the main thread where it disrupts the flow of the discussion and is considered spam as a result.

Okay, moving on. I personally am in two minds about supporting a Bradford subsection to the forum. On the one hand it provides order and divides Leeds and Bradford project, while on the other it results in there being a rarely visited subsection that forumers tend to ignore as a rule, only seeing the most recently posted on thread in the index summary. If there would be the option, I think Bradford would only need the one subsection, not two or any further. But I think on level it might be better for the Leeds and Bradford threads to share the space and an acceptance that Bradford is yes indeed a city with projects and guess what, threads. Attention just needs to be given to their cultivation is all.

·
*-City Of Bradford-*
1,091 Posts
a thread was created for the Matrix Apartments development in Bradford
I was bored.

Another example of a needless thread was a 'Bradford Hotels Thread', just plain copying the 'Leeds Hotels Thread', there are already enough threads on the specific hotel projects for the city,
That was a fail of a thread, totally failed.

Also if you have a group of photos you want to post, please please please put them on the Bradford Picture Thread which you yourself created. Unless some of the photos relate to current projects, just use that thread as it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to photographs and images of the city in general rather than on the main thread where it disrupts the flow of the discussion and is considered spam as a result.
You already said.

I think you should have just sent a PM instead of publicly announcing it, thats what the others have done.

·
Building Sustainability
2,777 Posts
Dan B

I agree with your post in full.

Basically people need some self control when starting new threads. I think there has been an element of starting threads for the hell of it, perhaps to try to out do or even undermine the forums LEEDS name. However, as you say the forum is for the Leeds City Region and it makes sense to have Bradford, Harrogate, Halifax and the other satellite towns within the forum.

·
*-City Of Bradford-*
1,091 Posts
Dan B

I agree with your post in full.

Basically people need some self control when starting new threads. I think there has been an element of starting threads for the hell of it, perhaps to try to out do or even undermine the forums LEEDS name. However, as you say the forum is for the Leeds City Region and it makes sense to have Bradford, Harrogate, Halifax and the other satellite towns within the forum.
And thats what we want to change. I don't think in the future when the economy comes back, and the projects boom starts again I don't think it will be possible to have all Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Huddesfield, Halifax, Keighley, Harrogate ect in the same thread.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
But with most of these issues there isn't enough happening in the respective areas to support their own thread. There are obviously a lot of transport projects in Leeds and a lot of needs. There are no major transport projects in Bradford, and all it's transport problems are pretty similar to those of other places in the city region. Which begs the question 'why doesn't every town/city in the city region have it's own thread for every issue?'. Well simply because there isn't enough going on to support them- and that is the case with Bradford also.

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts

True. It's fair enough to create a thread if there's something to discuss with other people, but not qhen it's just one person who keeps talking to themselves!

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
But with most of these issues there isn't enough happening in the respective areas to support their own thread. There are obviously a lot of transport projects in Leeds and a lot of needs. There are no major transport projects in Bradford, and all it's transport problems are pretty similar to those of other places in the city region. Which begs the question 'why doesn't every town/city in the city region have it's own thread for every issue?'. Well simply because there isn't enough going on to support them- and that is the case with Bradford also.
Yeah - 'Bradford Transport' should probably be in the City Region transport thread, just like stories about rail links to Harrogate are.

·
Man of Motion
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
True. It's fair enough to create a thread if there's something to discuss with other people, but not qhen it's just one person who keeps talking to themselves!
Perhaps I shouldn't have started this. Sorry. I take DB's point about the metro area, though looking over these threads over the past few years it seems that a lot of non-loiners rather resent being included in the Leeds Metropolitan area, though (to me) it seems clear that Wakefield, Dewsbury and Bradford are as much a part of a "greater Leeds" as are Oldham and Stockport part of a greater Manchester, in the geographical as opposed to political sense, hence the lower-case g in greater.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
They probably don't want to be branded as 'Leeds', but the people who are completely against recognising that they are part of an economic region centred on Leeds are foolish, because their best chances of regeneration/investment are through building on Leeds' strengths rather than trying to go it alone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts