SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Why Jimmy McGovern's 'The Street' is set in Manchester...

5781 Views 60 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  eric_cantona

Starts Thursday 13th April 2006, 9pm, BBC ONE

"It's actually set up here in Manchester but I had thoughts initially of a street off Kensington - that's Kensington, Merseyside NOT Kensington, London! But there are always problems on Merseyside because if you portray a character on screen who's a thief say, then you're compounding a stereotype. Our city is very sensitive about how Scousers are portrayed. So it's a lot easier to do it in Manchester.

"I see no reason for us to take our work and stage it on the streets of London and provide employment opportunities in London in the world of the media. I'm delighted that the BBC wants to move [certain departments] up here. I think they should bring the entire BBC up here, BBC One, Two, Three, Four, and Sport and Radio. London won't miss it and here the North West will just boom."
See less See more
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
So there you go! The scousers have missed out on another opportunity for something good happening in their city because of the massive chip they carry on their collective shoulders.
Victim mentality!
Boris Johnson was right!
And McGovern is a scouser so i'm not saying this (just agreeing with what he says).
McGovern is a great writer but I find it ironic in the extreme that he is finally displaying a guilty conscience over the damage he, Bleasedale and other scouse writers have done to their home town.

Perhaps he's trying to atone for this by setting his series in Manchester.

Because you can bet your boots therewill be a 'touch of larceny' involved with at least one of the stories.

Then it will be our turn to be perceived as thieves, murderers, druggies and skip-diving lowlifes.

Maybe we will develop a whingeing 'why us?' demeanour and become 'self-pity city' and start blaming Liverpool for all our 'problems'.... ;)

I'm just kidding of course, that scenario would never happen in Manchester. There's far too much cockiness and self-assurance amongst most Mancunians that would certainly kick into gear well before any negative 'perceptions' were changed.

It's just not our style.
See less See more
I dunno about that SMP, most Southerners now think of us like we're all out of Shameless.

See less See more
SMP - :applause:

WeastieBoy - ive given up giving a shit what Londoners think about us (not that they do think about us.......only when they want something.... like United tickets)
Although the writing has gone down hill somewhat in the latest series, you couldn't say Shameless has damaged the city. Its done with such humour and merely articulates another facet (however exaggerated it may be) of the city's character in the same way as Cold Feet, Coronation St, Queer as Folk et al have also done.

The city is bigger than any one TV programme and is a mark of confidence that we are quite happy to have the full spectrum of mancunian life, good, bad or ugly represented on the TV. Its also a mark of how many skillful writers and production companies operate successfully in Manchester.
WeasteDevil said:
I dunno about that SMP, most Southerners now think of us like we're all out of Shameless.

Doesn't bother me - two of the best shows on TV in recent years (Shameless and Life on Mars) were set in Manchester. Why be insecure about what's portrayed? They're entertaining shows strengthening the business that is show in our city. The Manchester Passion, The Street, the return of Cracker, the Beeb moving in, the upcoming Moors biopics, Xfm Manchester - the media lurves us...

Anyone in the know knows how I cool Manchester and Mancs are, and those who'll believe the stereotypes still think the North is all cobbled streets and lamp-lighters. Bring it on...
I saw the first series of Shameless and to be honest, I thought it to be way over the top but funny in parts.
I'm sure most right-minded people saw it for what it was, a bit of diversionary light entertainment, not to be taken seriously, with very exaggerated characters and story-lines to boot.
I always get a chuckle when I hear siblings of the same friggin family with different regional accents.
The casting people obviously take us all for *****.
Twas forever thus...
The Longford said:
So there you go! The scousers have missed out on another opportunity for something good happening in their city because of the massive chip they carry on their collective shoulders.
Victim mentality!
Boris Johnson was right!
Speaking of chips on shoulders :|
Blabbernsmoke said:
My stop watch was ticking and guess what?

Bang on time.

Mr predictable has surfaced.

Somethings on SSC never change!

Blab, blab, blab.:)
BeardedGenius said:
Doesn't bother me - two of the best shows on TV in recent years (Shameless and Life on Mars) were set in Manchester. Why be insecure about what's portrayed? They're entertaining shows strengthening the business that is show in our city. The Manchester Passion, The Street, the return of Cracker, the Beeb moving in, the upcoming Moors biopics, Xfm Manchester - the media lurves us...

Anyone in the know knows how I cool Manchester and Mancs are, and those who'll believe the stereotypes still think the North is all cobbled streets and lamp-lighters. Bring it on...
I think that all the above are good. Shameless is very funny and at least it shows the underclass in a real estate,just as Cold Feet showed Manchester's middle class urbane Didsbury/Alty set or Queer as Folk showed Manchester's vibrant and large gay community. The only problem I have is Corrie, because it is like a fairytale place stuck on the 60s. Instead of Mancunians it's all stupid Lancashire and Yorkshire accents (like having Eastenders played by people with Devon accents - oh well it's all Southern so no one will notice!), no street in Manchester has been like that for about 30 to 40 years. It would be OK if it was played out as a 1960s comedy (which in fact it is and that's why it gets the ratings - same as that Heartbeat wank). Also if I was inner city and paying my Council Tax - I'd have burnt down the council offices if they hadn't tarmac'd my fucking road yet in 2006!! All this cobble shit is so far off the mark for Manchester it's unreal. It really let's this vibrant modern cosmopolitan city down.

It's like a Manchester producer insisting that they have smog for every scene in Eastenders, because of course London is stereotyped as being foggy and smoggy - or at least it was in the 1950s. I know Eastenders doesn't do London any favours and it certainly lacks comedy,but at least it exists in the 2000s and not the 1960s like the Corrie crap.
See less See more
skymann said:
The only problem I have is Corrie, because it is like a fairytale place stuck on the 60s. Instead of Mancunians it's all stupid Lancashire and Yorkshire accents (like having Eastenders played by people with Devon accents - oh well it's all Southern so no one will notice!), .

Always makes me chuckle does that. Only a handful of them on Corrie speak in the local accent. The rest have this silly Yonner accent. Time to fucking move on.

By heck, ekythump(spelling).
Say what you will about Corrie, but the idea that Eatenders exists anywhere near the real world, never mind that of the current decade is preposterous. That square would be worth millions, filled with advertising executives, journalists, gallery owners and the like, Pauline, Dot and Pat would be sunning themselves year round off their property windfall and every other bugger wouldn't be a milquetoast gangster.
Cherguevara said:
Say what you will about Corrie, but the idea that Eatenders exists anywhere near the real world, never mind that of the current decade is preposterous. That square would be worth millions, filled with advertising executives, journalists, gallery owners and the like, Pauline, Dot and Pat would be sunning themselves year round off their property windfall and every other bugger wouldn't be a milquetoast gangster.
I know, Eastenders is shit too and obviously not realistic, but at least they try to get cockney accents. It's unforgivable that they don't even do Mcr the courtesy of having Manchester accents. Both soaps are crap and it would be better if they stuck to a specific era (Corrie 1960s, Eastenders 1980s) and stopped pretending they even remotely portrayed either modern Manchester or modern London.
Corrie is in its way an excellent programme in a way that Eastenders isn't. It isn't really as period as you're making out either. It's constrained by its original setting in that it's trying to be an everyday drama about everyday people when half the characters it needs to add necessary variety would never live in the street its set in. This is unfortunate, but unless you wish they bulldozed the rovers and put up a Barrat estate in 1988 there isn't really a lot they can do about it. They've chosen to perpetuate this unreality to keep the history and the purpose of the show. Because of this it's not Manchester, it's very pointedly Weatherfield. It certainly isn't fucking Eastenders or Hearbeat though.
Hmm thought it was a bit pants really, though I do like Liz White
Irish Blood English Heart said:
Hmm thought it was a bit pants really, though I do like Liz White
Me too
You would think the Corrie casters would at least insist on the out of town actors making an honest attempt at a Manchester accent. It's not that difficult, say like geordie or scouse even.
Blabbernsmoke said:
I liked the way he 'edited' my quote where i point out that this was McGovern's opinion and i was just agreeing with to make it look like i was being an arse!
Is blabbernsmoke a tabloid journalist i wonder?
jrb said:
My stop watch was ticking and guess what?

Bang on time.

Mr predictable has surfaced.

Somethings on SSC never change!

Blab, blab, blab.:)
ROFL :rofl:

Just reading what Longy said I was SURE some scouser would pounce...I don't know, makes you laugh.

Re: Negative portrayals. It's give and take IMO, plenty of other shows have shown a very different side to Manchester, Cold Feet, Cutting It, QAF, who gives a rats ass what Londoners think of us? When they care to drag their ignorant little bottoms out of the capital and visit Manchester they will soon see how misinformed they were.

PS: Totally agree with you Longpants and Mr McGovern of course, scousers would have got on so much better over the years if they just dropped the pity routine, once they were stereotyped as thieving scumbags and lazy dole filth, now they are just thought of as whingers who are holding themselves back.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.