SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a native of New Orleans, but I have traveled extensively including aboroad, and I make this post with a very unbiased view, and i'm not trying to insult anyone here, my fiancee shares my view and she's from Indianapolis, actually when we met I was suppose to re-locate up there but when she came down here to meet my family she insisted that we make our home here. All cities in the south with the exception of Miami have absolutely NO culture and are absolutely BORING, I"m a database consultant and have clients in many cities around the country, now when i'm in Atlanta which by the way has much worse demographics than New Orleans has ever had and is way too diverse for my taste, but I can't tell when i'm in downtown Houston, Dallas or Atlanta. They are all the same, they are southern but all the same, and all Chain restraunts. This is to the guys from New Orleans, no matter what city i'm in Chicago, New York, Atlanta or Houston am I the only one who is totally dissapointed by the food, but back on point, when you are in New Orleans you FEEL like you're in New Orleans, but most of the others, excluding Miami, New York, Boston and San Fran. They simply feel like plastic cookie cutter cities with no soul, and shallow history. I know that Atlanta and Houston have better and stronger economies and that is in part to 30 years of corrupt and inept leadership, New Orleans should be the largest and strongest in the South, but like my buddy told me, if houston or atlanta dissapeared tomorow dissapeared they simply wouldn't be missed, New Orleans on the other hand is a totally different story. I'm not trying to insult anyone here i'm truly not, but i'm simply stating facts, New Orleans is simply the most famous city in the South. My two cents......

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
First of all, welcome to SkyscraperCity! Although I dont quite agree with some of your "facts", I will say that New Orleans is truly a gem and is quite possibly my favorite Southern city along with Nashville. My cousin was displaced after Katrina and I have a new respect for what she went through, although she's doing fine now.

How can people not love New Orleans? The history, the charm, the anti-Bush (that's DUBYA, not Reggie), the food, everything! Besides personal preferences, of course, I think most people agree that in terms of Southern culture and uniqueness, New Orleans has no equals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was truly not trying to offend anyone else, oh and by the way I see you're from Indy, I was up there last month, my fiancee is from the Indy bloomington area, it is SO clean there, NO is simply not a very clean city but it hasn't always been like that, only in the last 30 years has it become so dirty, but I had a positive impression of Indy since i've been going there now and of course i'm a Peyton fan, you do know he's from New Orleans right? But in closing I think that New Orleans has her best days ahead of her, and her rightful place is to be the best major city in the south, she is already the most famous.

Thanks guys for listening to my rant.......................

·
Registered
483 Posts
NOnative, this is not going to end well. Anybody want to guess how many replies it takes untill the stuff hits the fan in this thread? That said NOnative, I agree with your thoughts. That's why I've stayed here through thick and mostly thin. However, your assertions about Houston and ATL may have poisoned this thread. We'll see....

·
Registered
148 Posts
"The history, the charm, the anti-Bush (that's DUBYA, not Reggie), the food, everything!"

It truly amazes me how anti-Republican these boards are. People act as if you should be shot if you're not a bleeding heart liberal that is openly hostile to all Republican principles. Frankly, I get sick and tired of it and that's coming from a person who hates politics whether we're talking Republican or Democratic politics. It takes no guts to be a liberal. Just follow the anti-Bush, anti-Reagan, anti-gun, anti-freedom know it all sheep herd known as the Democratic party and happily slurp up every bit of propaganda they feed. BTW, I think Bush Jr. has been a subpar president so please don't take my comments as an endorsement of his presidency. The Republican party definitely has problems that are worth sharp criticism but it gets awfully old hearing the constant parade of know it all liberals acting like they're vastly intelligent to everyone else and that they never had an incorrect thought in their lives. It just gets old.

I didn't want to get into politics but the Bush/Republican bashing on these boards gets incredibly ridiculous considering the boards should have little to do with national politics and everything to do with local politics instead.

Now that I'm off my soapbox let me address the original post. Your post although containing many valid points is destined to be heavily criticized I'm afraid. First of all, you're going to get blasted by Atlantans. Trust me, they don't take well to anyone suggesting that they may not be the center of the universe. Atlantans and the Atlanta media in particular view the rest of the South in much the same way New York and LA looks at the rest of the country. That is that nothing exists outside of their city or metro limits. Personally, I love visiting New Orleans. There is no better city in the country other than maybe Las Vegas to spend a weekend having fun. The food is entirely in a league of its own compared to the rest of the South and basically the entire country. On the other hand, I'd have a really hard time seeing myself ever living there. Dirty is an understated. New Orleans is BY FAR the dirtiest city I've ever been in. My brother and sister in law moved there about 2 years ago and really enjoy it. The people are great and the aforementioned food and entertainment is excellent. However, they don't see themselves there for too much longer. Many of the things that make New Orleans so unique and interesting are also potential problems especially when looking at the environment. N.O. is an environmental disaster waiting to happen. Many areas of the city would flood after common heavy summertime thunderstorms and the city itself is actually slowly sinking inch by inch further below sea level. The current mayor is a joke and has spent his post Katrina time in office blaming the President and Federal Gov't for the destruction and evacuation failures when so much of it was his office's fault. A strong honest leader who could bring together city and area leaders, a major environmental cleanup (which was needed well before Katrina affected the area), and stronger levee/anti flood measures would do wonders for the Crescent City.

Right now, I would put Atlanta (begrudgingly...Atlanta is a great city although not the center of the universe as many Atlantans would have you believe) even with its horrendous traffic, Houston, Dallas, Nashville, Charlotte, and maybe even a few other Southern cities ahead of N.O. when it comes to overall quality of life. Many other Southern metros have had much stronger economies than New Orleans for years now and the school systems in N.O. are well behind most of the other aforementioned cities. In review, I would agree with your premise that N.O. is one of a kind and the South wouldn't be complete without it. You simply can't beat it as a weekend getaway and the unique culture and fun loving spirit the city exudes. As far as places to live, not as great.

·
Registered
943 Posts
pft. (balloon noise)

I'm getting sick of these "New Orleans IS a great city!" (used as a defensive statement). as if everyone is questioning it... We know how New Orleans is/was, before and after Katrina. Now to point out some sillies in your "rant" (try using an online journal or blog or something else).

I'm a native of New Orleans, but I have traveled extensively including aboroad, and I make this post with a very unbiased view, and i'm not trying to insult anyone here, my fiancee shares my view and she's from Indianapolis, actually when we met I was suppose to re-locate up there but when she came down here to meet my family she insisted that we make our home here.
Starting out by saying how "Un"biased your post is, is and automatic warning symbol that it is bias. In an attempt to further prove your untrue statement, you include your Fiance', and the fact she's not from New Orleans. -Again, another attempt to make readers believe that your judgement and opinion are completely, and evenly balanced.

All cities in the south with the exception of Miami have absolutely NO "culture" and are absolutely BORING.
Perhaps you have something to back up this opinion? Maybe, since you already decided to, further detail your travel expierences in the entire South/Southeastern U.S., and give a good explination of why they are "Boring". Also, I would like to ask, what exactly you consider "fun", which every single city (again) lack.

I'm a "database consultant" and have clients in many cities around the country, now when i'm in Atlanta which by the way has much worse demographics than New Orleans has ever had and is [B]way too diverse[/B] for my taste,
"Wait, wait, hold the phone."

Just a sentence or so up you said that all cities in the south "Have absolutely NO Culture" (excluding Miami). -So, what exactly is "culture" to you? If Diversity isn't, then please, feel free (any time) to explain to me what you believe true culture to be.

but I can't tell when i'm in downtown Houston, Dallas or Atlanta. They are all the same, they are southern but all the same, and all Chain restraunts.
Well if that isn't a Generalization I sure as heck don't know what is these days. And you know what (sarcasm), Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are exactly the same, in every shape/way/form. "All Chain Resteraunts" -That gives evidence of how little you truely know (period, and) about other cities.

This is to the guys from New Orleans, no matter what city i'm in Chicago, New York, Atlanta or Houston am I the only one who is totally dissapointed by the food
Way to pep up the troops there stand leader. I am so curious as to what you think halfway decent food is. Unless of corse, your just a bias hypocrite... But oh no, not you, defintley not you with a "Fiance' from Indianapolis who shares your view".

but back on point, when you are in New Orleans you FEEL like you're in New Orleans, but most of the others, excluding Miami, New York, Boston and San Fran. They simply feel like plastic cookie cutter cities with no soul, and shallow history.
Well, I don't know about anyone else here on planet earth, When I'm in a different city, I certainly feel like I'm in a different city. Maybe its just me, perhaps I am the crazied of the bunch, but you have many hypocritical "opinions" to proclaim yourself as "very unbias".

I know that Atlanta and Houston have better and stronger economies and that is in part to 30 years of corrupt and inept leadership, New Orleans should be the largest and strongest in the South,
Very quick to point fingers at others to blame for New Orleans' problems. Don't get me wrong, the "leadership" plays a big role, but you simply cannot blame the entire reason on it alone. I have high doubt that if the leadership were any different in the previous 30 years, that New Orleans would have the crown in economic standing. So Don't flatter yourself, please.

but like my buddy told me, if houston or atlanta dissapeared tomorow dissapeared they simply wouldn't be missed, New Orleans on the other hand is a totally different story.
Roundin' up the troops I see. This is probibly the most unbiased thing you've said all day. Actually, this is a bit Ironic, because If I recall
...and I do; Everyone was ready to give up on New Orleans when Katrina rolled in. So I mean, since everyone is just as infatuated with your city as you, I wonder what people really think about Houston or Atlanta... My concern is that even without Disaster, everyone is just waiting for the sign, on the edge of their seats... To just abandon then entire Houston & Atlanta Area. Scary Thought.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here i'm truly not, but i'm simply stating facts, New Orleans is simply the most famous city in the South. My two cents......
Yes, you are trying.

What "Facts"? All you've posted so far is complete bull and idiotic/hypocritical statements. -New Orleans in the most famous? I highly doubt that. Maybe it is between you and others such as yourself, who rally in the S.E. section every so once in a while to prep talk up their egos. And Who said it was the most famous? (Again, besides you) Did you ask everyone? a survey? Source your "facts" next time, it could just make you look less like a complete moron.

*I don't think other people would mind if you kept your cents in your pocket from now on. That is, unless you can give evidence of any common sense or any -true- unbiased opinions.

-edit: I would also like to question your exact definition of "History" and "Soul". I mean, since every city except the 4-5 you mentioned, have not one single interesting chip of History. Come on, Philadelphia was the capital of the U.S., last time I checked, thats a much better History lesson then how New Orleans' glory days lie before 1776. Good job on that statement as well, I applaud your grand post... I mean, "Rant"

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well I believe many cities in the south have a whole lot of Culture your dead wrong on that Subject.But way to cheer on your city,I just really don't agree with really any of your points.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Cannonized said:
NO!!!!! Somebody took the bait!!!!
This thread is "poisoned" with or without the ATL/HOU/DAL reference. The editors should start a whole new section for whimpy campfire chants for New Orleans Residents who think such "very unbiased" thoughts.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
HoustonTexas said:
This thread is "poisoned" with or without the ATL/HOU/DAL reference. The editors should start a whole new section for whimpy campfire chants for New Orleans Residents who think such "very unbiased" thoughts.
I sometimes wonder if this is the Nawlins' forum instead of the southeast forum. :runaway:

·
Registered
943 Posts
triadcat said:
I sometimes wonder if this is the Nawlins' forum instead of the southeast forum. :runaway:
Well depending on the current topics, and the ones people bring back from the Dead, sometimes it seems to be domniated by one city. Usually the big 4 (not big 5, since Miami has its own) Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, or New Orleans. Which is not surprising, due to the high populations of the metros of the first 3, it would seem that the forumers from those cities would be more numerous, with the topics being Photos, or other such discussions. But In Nawlins case, Its usually just another topic, another pep rally, or another news article.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
again,

I'm not trying to insult anyone, and about the most important and famous, I was simply speaking about the southeastern region. Are you guys telling me that there is another city in the southeast that is more famous than new orleans? What about all the movie and rock starts that have reloacated here, or have bought homes here? How many movies have you seen with Atlanta, Houston or Dallas in them, it is a fact that New Orleans is the most filmed City in the south and the 4th most in the country, that is simply a fact. The city torn apart and 30 years of corruption, I leave that soley on the feet of desegragation and white flight, we can run things, they can't, and are being voted out this time. What city in the south can match New Orleans in Cuisine? Where does Emeril have his restraunts? Anyone who says different is simply smoking crack, and the school system. Let me give you a little tip about New Orleans, middle and upper middle class citizens don't sent their children to public schools, we have a very big Catholic and private school system. Lets get real here ppl, I have been to New York, Boston and Miami and they are full of very uniqe culture that I love, I guess that New Orleans is so much partly like a european city, and we should be, and our culture reflects that, most other places and cities were founded by americans.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
NOnative said:
again,

I'm not trying to insult anyone, and about the most important and famous, I was simply speaking about the southeastern region. Are you guys telling me that there is another city in the southeast that is more famous than new orleans? What about all the movie and rock starts that have reloacated here, or have bought homes here? How many movies have you seen with Atlanta, Houston or Dallas in them, it is a fact that New Orleans is the most filmed City in the south and the 4th most in the country, that is simply a fact. The city torn apart and 30 years of corruption, I leave that soley on the feet of desegragation and white flight, we can run things, they can't, and are being voted out this time. What city in the south can match New Orleans in Cuisine? Where does Emeril have his restraunts? Anyone who says different is simply smoking crack, and the school system. Let me give you a little tip about New Orleans, middle and upper middle class citizens don't sent their children to public schools, we have a very big Catholic and private school system. Lets get real here ppl, I have been to New York, Boston and Miami and they are full of very uniqe culture that I love, I guess that New Orleans is so much partly like a european city, and we should be, and our culture reflects that, most other places and cities were founded by americans.
Nawlins' may be the most filmed city in the South, but Wilmington is by far the film center in the South. It is 3rd after LA and NYC. One Tree Hill, Dawson's Creek, Matlock and many more shows and movies have been filmed at Wilmington.
Don't believe me, look it up....
If not, I'll look it up for ya later ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
They simply feel like plastic cookie cutter cities with no soul, and shallow history. I know that Atlanta and Houston
So New Orleans is now the only city in the south with Histiory, soul, character, and charm? This thread is funny!
Not only have he excluded Atlanta and Houston from having a history and soul, i guess Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham, Savannah and Charleston, no longer exist? Or maybe theyre just not southern enough? But whats funny is that the latter two have just as much charm as NO but just not as gritty and didnt have the title of MURDER capital, oh well, theyre loss ! As far as history, who is to say who have the better HISTORY? Thats stupid!

·
Registered
427 Posts
NOnative said:
again,

NOnative, you must understand that it is not OK to make sweeping generalizations about "the rest of the south" regardless of whether or not it may be true in your opinion.

As a New Orleanian, I would ask that you do the following prior to making statements about the culture, intellect, etc., of our city: be tactful; check your spelling, grammar, and capitalization; and avoid sweeping generalizations.

New Orleans has a lot of culture. That being said, the culture with respect to which New Orleans was most famous in the early 20th century (i.e., excellent acting companies, opera, symphony, etc.) is long gone. Those true icons of world culture have been eclipsed organizations in other cities, such as Houston Grand Opera and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra.

At the present time, we can claim one or two cultural crowns, the culinary crown and the jazz/funk/soul crown.

New Orleans has been, is, and will always be a great city. We have a history of importance to this nation that no other city in the South can claim. That being said, "past experience is not a necessary predictor of future returns."

Welcome to the board! We need more New Orleanians.

·
Registered
943 Posts
NOnative said:
again,I'm not trying to insult anyone, and about the most important and famous, I was simply speaking about the southeastern region. Are you guys telling me that there is another city in the southeast that is more famous than new orleans? What about all the movie and rock starts that have reloacated here, or have bought homes here?
I know you where talking about the southeast region. Atlanta is far more famous, expecially so with Gone with the Wind. So what about the oh so few number of "Stars" there?

How many movies have you seen with Atlanta, Houston or Dallas in them, it is a fact that New Orleans is the most filmed City in the south and the 4th most in the country, that is simply a fact.
If your going to state anything as "simply a fact", source it. Your full of sh*t anyways, I wouldn't expect you to.

The city torn apart and 30 years of corruption, I leave that soley on the feet of desegragation and white flight, we can run things, they can't, and are being voted out this time.
What the hell are you talking about?

What city in the south can match New Orleans in Cuisine? Where does Emeril have his restraunts?
Thats just your BIAS opinion.

Anyone who says different is simply smoking crack,
Again, your probibly the dumbest forumer I've seen since a pair from California.

Lets get real here ppl, I have been to New York, Boston and Miami and they are full of very uniqe culture that I love, I guess that New Orleans is so much partly like a european city, and we should be, and our culture reflects that,
Hypocritical statement. "Get Real". Your so full of yourself, its truely sick. How is New Orelans so much like a European City, besides the population density, and certain streets? New Orleans' culture doesn't reflect Europe at all, not one bit.

most other places and cities were founded by americans.
Everything I've ever seen you type is just 100% b.s

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
well, if emeril says new orleans is the most important town in the south...BAM...who can argue with that?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
My opinion of this thread...First: NONative..welcome to the forum and site. You have come in with a bang. You have nice things to say about our fair city, which is a topic of interesting and controversial topics, mainly due to our devastating hurricane event last August. Eyes are on New Orleans and the views of it's residents. Some don't like the fact that we are in the limelight. Some choose to knock us because of our urban issues, which are prevalent in the oldest of America's cities. We are not post-modern, we are unique, we are different, and to those that live in the other cities that are all progressive and similar, it is an afront and they take it to task. It's not necessary to throw it into their faces...a single visit to our city, a taste of our food, or a discussion and a cocktail with a native reveals how laid back we really are and don't really give a shit what others say...this can bug them even more. Approach this with caution. You certainly came in with a bang and you have received the response one would expect. To regular SSC poster: Give this person a break. We are hurting, while we continue to rebound from a most devastating event that killed over 1100 of our citizens and we have close to 1000 still missing. People here, in New Orleans, are particularly passionate and if it was your city, you know damn well you would be the exact same way. So listen, empathize, and understand, if that is possible inside of yourself. For once, don't fixate on yourself or your own city and attempt to understand and realize what one of the world's and America's most unique cities has been through. It's not that hard. It's obvious that NONative is passionate. And for every poster on this forum, whether you are from Dubai, Toronto, Mexico City, NYC, or Amarillo, I always say one thing that is underneath every post I present on this site and that is.."There is only one New Orleans."

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.