Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the completion of the Beetham Tower in Manchester I was just wandering how come this firm have not yet considered building a tower in Leeds considering they have towers in Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham with plans for a tower in London. Could it be because of the strength of KW Linfoot in the Leeds residential skyscraper market or could it be because they are still waiting for a site or could they even be the developer for Criterion Place which appears to be at a standstill at present. Anyone have any ideas on why this is the case?

·
Registered
30,578 Posts
Well. Its interesting as no-one seems to really know the answer. Maybe theres one in the pipeline we don't know about, or maybe because theres already enough talls u/c/proposed or maybe they are the developer for Criterion Place. Its strange seeing as Beetham has shown interest in Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, London and Brighton. And Ive heard Newcastle. Well if they are planning to build in major cities then theres no doubt that theyve covered all of Englands major cities except Leeds which is suspicious.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Val Verde said:
Looking at the completion of the Beetham Tower in Manchester I was just wandering how come this firm have not yet considered building a tower in Leeds considering they have towers in Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham with plans for a tower in London. Could it be because of the strength of KW Linfoot in the Leeds residential skyscraper market or could it be because they are still waiting for a site or could they even be the developer for Criterion Place which appears to be at a standstill at present. Anyone have any ideas on why this is the case?

Probably because we are doing very nicely with other developers coming up with skysacraper plans, however, I think its just a matter of time before Beetham gets the bug to reach for the skies in Leeds.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, we don't know who has bought the Leeds Met site across the road from the Plaza, this was purchased quite quickly last year when it came up for sale. Could be Beetham, it is an ideal place for a tower.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have no doubt they have 'considered' Leeds. It could simply be that they have been out bid for pockets of land or as stated that they already have plans. There is no reason to assume that they are against the idea of building in Leeds, if they are wanting to stand out from the crowd, then they may think Leeds has too much going on for the moment. A development in Newcastle or Nottingham for instance would gain a whole lot more notice.

·
6,974 Posts
It probably is because Linfoot have taken the lead here in Leeds, they are Leed's very own 'Beetham' and gaining their own wealth of experience in the high rise residential market, starting with Bridgewater, and moving on from there.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I think Beetham will come to Leeds in time (given the economy holds out). Maybe it's best to go after the other cities, as Beetham will surely be looking to go 'one better' with each new project, hopefully going taller?

·
Registered
571 Posts
The thing with Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool is that Beetham we're pretty much the first to build a luxury high rise in those cities. So had little competition in selling their apartments. If Beetham we're to build in Leeds, they have to compete with the two criterion towers and the Lumiere scheme.

I think Beetham would be nervous of building in such a small city like Leeds, which already has 4 luxury glass high rises in the pipeline.

I personally don't think the Leeds market could support a beetham tower on top of our other schemes (if they get built) in the short term.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Interesting comments Skopie, I wouldn't be surprised if Beetham bypassed Leeds, if they did come to Leeds they would want their Beetham tower to be the biggest and best and if the rumours of Criterion rising to over 60 storeys let alone Lumiere's 52 storeys it would be a huge risk for them.

You never know they might bypass Leeds in favour of Sheffield just down the road :runaway:

·
Registered
30,578 Posts
I think Beetham may choose Leeds; but it could be as offices/hotel/retail over residential. It has developed in similar sized cities, although as the first major residential tower ie no competition as already mentioned.

·
6,974 Posts
Skopie said:
I think Beetham would be nervous of building in such a small city like Leeds, which already has 4 luxury glass high rises in the pipeline.

I personally don't think the Leeds market could support a beetham tower on top of our other schemes (if they get built) in the short term.
Perhaps not as things stand, but things move on ... if/when all the major schemes are built, Leeds will be a league above what it is now, and that will generate much more of a market interest than there is at present .. success tends to self perpetuate !

·
Registered
765 Posts
Skopie said:
The thing with Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool is that Beetham we're pretty much the first to build a luxury high rise in those cities. So had little competition in selling their apartments. If Beetham we're to build in Leeds, they have to compete with the two criterion towers and the Lumiere scheme.

how anyone can call leeds such a small city is beyone me lol, but i agree with you on the last bit you wrote about the other schemes, but who needs beetham anyway. i think leeds is doing just fine without them :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
In comparison to Manchester and Birmingham, which aswell as being larger, have more people with the money to afford these kind of places.

·
Registered
30,578 Posts
Actually regardless of population Leeds is a richer city than both those cities- people generally have more money in Leeds.

·
Who'd sit in THAT chair..
1,137 Posts
I don't think you guys should worry too much, since Criterion and La Luminere have been designed by Ian Simpson, the guy behind Manc's and Brum's Beethams, so even if you don't get a Beetham, they'll be similar in look, and just as impressive! :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Superfly said:
I don't think you guys should worry too much, since Criterion and La Luminere have been designed by Ian Simpson, the guy behind Manc's and Brum's Beethams, so even if you don't get a Beetham, they'll be similar in look, and just as impressive! :)
yea i completely agree, lumiere and criterion are 10 times better looking than the beetam towers. they will look amazing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Actually regardless of population Leeds is a richer city than both those cities- people generally have more money in Leeds.
The average person probably earns more in Leeds, but we all know the average person can't afford a million pound 50 storey penthouse.

To afford a good deal of the apartments in these luxury developments, you need to be on a salary comfortably above 75k, and places like Manchester, have many more earners in these top salary brackets.

Another thing worth noting is that Leeds has very wealthy and popular areas, where you can pick up large detatched houses within a few miles of the city centre. Therefore the demand for these luxury apartments may be less in Leeds than in Manchester, where the richest, most prestigous areas, where detatched houses are available, are much further out. It may be the case that alot of these top earners would prefer a family home in places like Roundhay and Alwoodey than in Criterion place.

Of course this may all change if traffic in leeds continues to worsen, and commutes from these nearby wealthy suburbs worsens, then demand for city centre pads may see a marked increase.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.