SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a photo that hkskyline took of downtown Frankfurt, Germany, from an airplane window. The building on the left (the Messeturm, I believe) has always reminded me of Atlanta's Bank of America building. Which got me thinking, why does no one ever ask when is Frankfurt going to fill in the gap between it's skysrapers to form one downtown area, like we in metro Atlanta are always asked about downtown and midtown connecting up? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
its because I great number of people hate Atlanta and the the southeast in general. I think they are just jealous because their cities are going down the tubes and will never have growth again, but that is just my opinion.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
^ i don't think it's to that extent, but i have heard people bitching about Frankfurt (check SSP's city photos) not being filled in.

but then again, i think people also don't..."appreciate" Atlanta or the south.

-

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
ISn't it because Frankfurt is an old city with what would be considered super urban streetscapes below those spread out scrapers. 99% of the sunbelt has nothing to compare to it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ahh, Mainhattan. I don't know, this is just my opinion, but the German economy isn't doing to well right now despite rebounding last year and maybe they don't need any more office space. The unemployment rate there is through the roof. But it'd be gnarly to see them build more, because they've got an amazing skyline.

Speaking of Frankfurt, have any of you seen/been in Terminal 4 at their airport? That building is bad ass. And people hate the South.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say "bad ass" are you being positive or negative? I've never been to or through Frankfurt, but I always thought it was pretty good for a major hub airport.

·
King of the Queen
2,164 Posts
when you destroy something to fill in a gap between atlanta's midtown/downtown you're probably taking out the freeway, a surface lot, or a parking garage. there, i'd have a feeling you might run into something old.

also, they are europe. they can do what they want since they are 'dense.' :|

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nick, I meant it in a good way. I loved it! The rest of the airport needs some touch-ups and overall I don't think Frankfurt's quite as good an airport as Schiphol in Amsterdam, but Frankfurt Terminal 4 was totally sweet. Also Nick, I saw CBS was showing the race this weekend- do they show all the F1 races?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.