Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's tiring.I've been up to Liverpool,Leeds and Birmigham recently and their city centre is a wonderful place to spend time in (and money). I love Sheffield and wouldn't want to move anywhere else if possible,but if I get the choice I will definitely choose Birmingham.
Yes it's 3x the size of Sheffield but Leeds isn't. I know it's been discussed before, Sheffield is on the up, Sheffield folks do not have the money to spend in so called "posh shops" but most of the shops I'm on about aren't even posh..
So ok Sheffield would never get a selfridges,but why oh why is it that even food outlets always leave Sheffield out.
Take Krispy Kreme doughnuts, got myself a few yesterday in Birmingham. Think to myself this is a brilliant place, Sheffield would very much benefit from it. Well check the store locator on the website, they're all open down south, and guess where they've chosen to open later on this year? Yep, Manchester & Leeds.....

Borders? Muji Same story! And most of the retail stores I'm talking about open branches in much much smaller cities!
I could go on and on and on with other examples...
So ok, fair enough some of these issues **might** get resolved with the new retail quarter, but it's too little to bloody late. Been living here 7 years and i've had enough jumping in the car and travelling at least over 2 hours in traffic to get to the nearest decent shopping city centre.
And before you mention it, I hate meadowhall and most shops in there are nothing out the ordinary..
Why didn't most of the shops named above not open on the moor years ago?? Sure, the vacant shops aren't very big but most retailers have money to spend on making the shop bigger. Take carphone warehouse on fargate, they worked wonders with that, same with river island...
Now look at the moor, a mess. they're going to knock it down (which now is the best thing for it yep) but we'll have to wait for ages for it to become a decent shopping place again. And even longer for the NRQ.......
Rant over, I feel better now.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
Meadowhall ripped the heart out of Sheffield and you cant expect the cente to recover straight away. In a way though it has helped the city Sheffield has one of the best selection of vintage and indedendant stores outside if London I would say Division Street is one of the best shopping areas I know.

The Big chains are on there way it started with GAP and now we have Office, Schue, H&M and not that I'd go there but River Island too. The City Centre is really starting too buz which can only be a good thing. As for food outlets I'd preffer independant shops rather than chains. The biggest example of this is TGI Fridays or Frankies and Bennies why pay £7 for a crap mass produced burger?

Once the NRQ is up and running I'm pretty sure Zara, Muji and the rest will follow, I bet Topshop/Arcadia open up a new huge store as well.

·
Registered
744 Posts
true, things are changing but the situation is still dire. and it's easy to forget when we say 'wait for the NRQ' that we'll be waiting till at least 2012 before we see it open. i for one will be long gone by the time that happens. maybe i'll just have to enjoy it when i come back for holidays to see my parents.

·
18,099 Posts
personally i think sheffields shopping isnt half bad. ok we dont have loads of random stores that are classed as 'perks' but arent necessities, but i dont think thats a problem, because things are advancing quickly here and it wont be long before we are ready for these shops. and then we will probably get some of them. sheffield centre is a small homely feeling city in comparison with others and i think we have to try and retain that on some level.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In reference to Krispy Kreme in Sheffield, I was talking to one of the top American Krispy Kreme guys who was over here shortly after the Enfield (London) store opened and asked him about whether they were thinking of opening one in Sheffield. He said they were currently in negotiation with Meadowhall about the site on the perimeter of the centre that was once ear-marked for that New Orleans themed development.

Now this was about 10 possibly 12 months ago and of course the city centre is set to redevelop dramatically so the options open to them may have changed? Personally I'd prefer to see one in the centre as I'm from Chesterfield and Meadowhall would be too far for my doughnut fix! And as my wife is American it would have to be a regular trip!

One thing I would also like to say about Meadowhall after a recent trip there over the weekend, is how many empty units there are at the moment. I know leases come to an end but personally I think the place isn't what it used to be and I'm hoping the city centre is going to claw back some well deserved business once all the developments are complete. It will certainly have more going for it than a mall which once all the developments in the centre are complete, must be getting on for at least 20 years old?

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
I agree we need more of the 'ordinary' kind of shops like the ones mentioned. But like people have said the massive problem for the city is Meadowhall.

Sheffield is on the up the gradually on the shopping front a year or so ago many of my mates and people i know wouldn't go there, but would go to Meadowhall.But now, people are going to Sheffield instead!! Not sure if it is to do with us getting older and not wanting to be in Meadowhall as it gets more annoying every time we go.

Here are a few shops(not necessarily where i would go) that would be good in the city centre - Aspecto,Apple,Freespirit,French Connection,House Of Fraser(would be great, but i doubt it!),Henri Lloyd/Scotts/Lacoste,Jack&Jones,Jane Norman,JJB(is there one now in the centre?)La Senza,Levis,Miss Selfridge,O'Neill,Quicksilver,Republic,Virgin Cosmetics,Zara.

Just got these from the Meadowhall site, that i thought could both have a store in the city too.

Also i have just thought. Is there a Burger King in the city centre. I know there used to be one on Fargate(i think!). Just seems odd that there isn't one in the centre.

Also a bigger Next,Topshop/Topman,Schuh and USC could surely be sustained.

·
Michael
889 Posts
There is a burger king near KFC I think, And ye I agree there are plenty of shops missing and even some of the current ones are pretty naff or small, like New Look, topshop/man and next, even my town has a bigger next and new look than the ones in Sheffield :p

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There is a burger king near KFC I think, And ye I agree there are plenty of shops missing and even some of the current ones are pretty naff or small, like New Look, topshop/man and next, even my town has a bigger next and new look than the ones in Sheffield :p
Doesn't Chesterfield have two Next stores in the town centre both bigger than the one in Sheffield city centre?

Shopping for mens wear in the citycentre is pretty crap to be honest,the only stores I find worth going in are Ark, G-Star and River Island, GAP & Topman if I'm desperate lol!

I hear All Saints is opening at Meadowhall, now that's a store I would love to see in the city centre, along with a Diesel store.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
I like it in Sheffield though for the smaller stores.

I go in the normal ones like Topman,Gap,H&m,Debenhams,HMV etc. But i like the other smaller ones like Limeys,Seasons,Sa-Kis,Office,Size,Freshmans and previously(before they bloody shut - hope they re-open elsewhere!) Eton and Brother2Brother.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Whilst Sheffield could obviously do with more or bigger of the ordinary named stores its still going to need those higher end and less 'high street' brands to bring in people from further afield. Whether it be privately owned stores filling a niche market or selling niche products or indeed a bigger well known name such as Selfridges and Harvey Nichols, Sheffield still needs that UNIQUE selling point. Its not going to be any good in 10 years time saying yeah we've got the biggest H&M in the area...who's gonna book into a boutique hotel for the weekend to shop in those kinda places...chances are they could have stayed in their home town for that.

Whenever you see Leeds advertised for a weekend break, 9 times out of 10 you'll see images of Harvey Nichols alongside...as well as other top end brands in the Victoria Quarter. Same with Birmingham where you have the Mailbox/ Malmaison hotel and Selfridges.

Sheffield can only get better retail wise and I think Meadowhall is going to notice a difference in footfall once the planned redevelopments are operational, their long term effect though is gonna be down to how successful developers are in attracting the 'right' retailers which will ultimately help Sheffield shine.

Just another note about Meadowhall...is it me or is House of Fraser gone from bad to worse? This is one store that was far superior when it was in the centre and had a lot more to offer...

·
Registered
94 Posts
And yes skyfitsboy...Chesterfield has 2 Next stores within about 4/5 mins walk off each other and at the very least the newer of the 2 is significantly larger than the Sheffield centre one. However the rest of the shopping in Chesterfield is fairly unexciting!

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
Yeah House Of Fraser mens bit is a bit crap now. Was great a few years ago.Got a nice Paul Smith top from their though the other day.

To be honest i find Meadowhall much the same. It all seems to be the same boring crap to me.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
The new Next in Meadowhall is going to be the largest in the country so any store in the City centre would have to compete with that. But saying that if you look at some of the renders for the NRQ Next looks to be one of the ancor stores.

Shopping in Sheffield is great Division street is its UNIQUE selling point and leopold Square for eating will be. why would anyone want to go to a boutique hotel to go to Next or a 'dougnut shop' anyway? surely people go away to get something that they cant at home? As a student (who are the vast majority who shop in the City at the min) why would we want a Harvey Nicks? don't know that many students who have the money to shop there? If anything we should want more independant stores.

·
18,099 Posts
meadowhall is crap,

i was there yesterday (first time in about 3 months) and i counted 6 mobile phone shops in a row, opposite 4 banks in a row, alongside 5 chav clothing shops..... the place is a hole.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
Yeah I think out of town shopping has had its day the metrocentre is the same (though arguably it has always been a hole) the new trend is City Centre shopping and making a day of it. The only thing I like Meadowhall for is if I need to get someone a Birthday present and then its dead handy to just dump the car outside and get in and out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would hardly call Division St a unique selling point. True it has some unique privately owned niche market stores but its not enough to pull people in from further afield is it? My point with the Selfridges/ Harvey Nicks/ Krispy Kreme is that they are names that aren't saturated over the whole country so they make an area more unique over the run of the mill high street set up seen throughout the country.

Yes the bigger well known stores are an important factor in making up the retail sector but they arent what make a place special or different are they? And thats the point I'm trying to make....if its to win custom back from Meadowhall and pull in customers from further afield just like Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester do then its got to have something more unique.

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
The new Next in Meadowhall will be moving from its existing 40,000 sq ft store into a new 66,000 sq ft two-level unit it will not be the largest in the country it will be there fifth-largest store in the country and the new Primark in Meadowhall will be 73,000 sq ft, trading over two floors.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts