SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed so much East-West hate recently .
We are all Canadians , We all cheer For Team Canada , and the Blue Jays dont we ? We all love Hockey , Beer and Snow forts Right? I love this country , every part of it . People it seems are acting like the Hutu & Tootsie tribes latley ( watch Hotel Rewanda for Canadian Pride ) . so if you hate the other side of the country , tell us why , and solidify your Canadain Hatred

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Eh, it's more interesting than the usual Vancouver vs. Toronto or Everycity vs. Toronto threads that would pile up on here.

·
Registered
695 Posts
A lot of it has to do with the redistribution of the wealth, primarily from Alberta and Ontario, that goes to the east-coast provinces. However, this is how our country works, and until a Prime Minister or Supreme Court rules otherwise, this is how it will continue to be.

It is completely unecessary for the west to hate the east or vice-versa. It's not my fault that my province is a "have-not" province. It's not mine, or my province's fault that money from Ontario and Alberta are funelled into New Brunswick, or any other province. It is the government that makes these decisions, and WE are the people who ELECT them to do so.

If people are sick and tired of their precious money going elsewhere, then maybe it's time for a change of our political system. Maybe we should privatize more, and publicly fund less. That would solve a LOT of people's problems. But, oh wait- that is where they begin to complain about having to pay for it directly out of their pocket.

Every province does something for the country. Canada is a country of 32million people, which is less than most countries, and has become one of the richest nations in the world. Canada is not called the "Land of Dreams" by people living in Third World countries for nothing.

Some people need to take a step back, a big step back.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i don't cheer for the blue jays.

i don't like baseball but i'm more likely to cheer for the Mariners or the Sonics than i would for the Jays or the Raptors

this isn't based on toronto-hatred, just that seattle is more of "my" town than Toronto is - it's the same culture and environment.

·
Technocrat
878 Posts
I don't hate the East, I just don't much care for it. There are some issues between us, but there isn't exactly a reason for hatred.

Sure, one thing I do take issue with is that a Liberal elected by the East and is 2,875 km (1,786 miles) away from me thinks that he knows what is best for me.

And then there's the fact that I've never been out East, and never have had a reason to go (I haven't even been to Sask.). Just Alberta and BC will do for me thanks. As far as travel goes, I've been to 8 states (soon 9, going to Houston for 9 days this summer) where I've been to 2 provinces.

And when we get down to the attitudes involved, I have found Americans are very friendly with Western Canadians while Eastern Canadians are relatively more hostile (it doesn't mean much, having not travelled myself out east. And most of the Ontarians I've found that moved out here, and there is a lot, have been quite friendly. Maybe forums just have a disproportionate number of angry easterners :) ).

There ARE a few things that would solidify a hate for the east for me, numero uno, another NEP (O ye slayer of economies!). But mostly just along those lines.

EDIT: Oh yes, and who the hell cheers for the Blue Jays? Baseball, ughhhh...I still like hockey, but only the World-level stuff. Past that, it's all CFL for me...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do wish Ontario would get a little more of it's money back, especially TO. Having said that, I love Canada- all of it- and I am proud to be Canadian. Transfer payments don't bother me per se- but this recent special deal nonsense with Newfoundland and Nova Scotia does bother me.

Finally, I have no problem with the west. Every region has idiots, it is just unfortunate that idiots from Vancouver are grossly over-represented on this forum.

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel the healing all ready. Try to say one nice thing about the other coast , I like how big Toronto is and that there construction levels are so high.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Boris550 said:
Sure, one thing I do take issue with is that a Liberal elected by the East and is 2,875 km (1,786 miles) away from me thinks that he knows what is best for me.

And when we get down to the attitudes involved, I have found Americans are very friendly with Western Canadians while Eastern Canadians are relatively
more hostile (it doesn't mean much, having not travelled myself out east. And most of the Ontarians I've found that moved out here, and there is a lot, have been quite friendly. Maybe forums just have a disproportionate number of angry easterners :) ).
Well, first this debate should be clarified. Ontario is central Canada- so I ask, what exactly defines the east in this discussion?

Secondly, with respect to the above quote, do you think that someone from out west governing the country will be exactly good for someone living 2 2 875km away out east? Probably not. Electing someone closer to you, is not going to solve all of the issues in Canada- regardless if they are Conservative or Liberal. The best thing to do is to have a party and Prime Minister that reflects the values of the majority of Canadians. Unfortunately for you, over 20million Canadians lives east of Manitoba- which is a clear majority. When your province only has a few million people in it, it shouldn't be expected that you will be the voice of the country. This doesn't change in the U.S. Nobody really cares about the small states, as long as Florida, California, Ohio, Texas, New York, Pennsylvania etc. are won, who cares?

Thirdly, people who live in huge metropolitan areas generally do have different attitudes than someone who may live in an area such as yourself. I'm assuming you are primarily referring to the GTA when you speak of Ontario- or atleast southern Ontario. Toronto is a go-go city. Someone from New York City, Philadelphia, or even Boston will have a much different attitude/lifestyle than someone who lives out in the midwest- the same applies in Canada. Liberal Democracy promotes the pursuit of individual rights and individualistic values. Conveniently, most of Ontario is liberal- what a coincidence. A hussle and bussle city, liberal politics... to you it may seem they are hostile- but that is simply how they are; Type A personalities, on the go 24/7.

·
Technocrat
878 Posts
I define the "East" as anything East of Manitoba.

Secondly, with respect to the above quote, do you think that someone from out west governing the country will be exactly good for someone living 2 2 875km away out east? Probably not. Electing someone closer to you, is not going to solve all of the issues in Canada- regardless if they are Conservative or Liberal. The best thing to do is to have a party and Prime Minister that reflects the values of the majority of Canadians. Unfortunately for you, over 20million Canadians lives east of Manitoba- which is a clear majority. When your province only has a few million people in it, it shouldn't be expected that you will be the voice of the country. This doesn't change in the U.S. Nobody really cares about the small states, as long as Florida, California, Ohio, Texas, New York, Pennsylvania etc. are won, who cares?
Which is why I would want more power given to the provinces. I know that nobody that is elected by the majority of this country's people is going to represent me. I'll go for regionalism instead, thanks.

Thirdly, people who live in huge metropolitan areas generally do have different attitudes than someone who may live in an area such as yourself. I'm assuming you are primarily referring to the GTA when you speak of Ontario- or atleast southern Ontario. Toronto is a go-go city. Someone from New York City, Philadelphia, or even Boston will have a much different attitude/lifestyle than someone who lives out in the midwest- the same applies in Canada. Liberal Democracy promotes the pursuit of individual rights and individualistic values. Conveniently, most of Ontario is liberal- what a coincidence. A hussle and bussle city, liberal politics... to you it may seem they are hostile- but that is simply how they are; Type A personalities, on the go 24/7.
It's the total disregard for anything 'Western' that I find hostile. Basically, any idea that comes out of here is usually cast aside right away and labelled as *******, extreme, etc... it never fails. Meanwhile, the only way our own party is going to gain power is if they sell their souls for power and become another meaningless Liberal Party.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Rhino said:
Ive noticed so much East-West hate recently .
We are all Canadians , We all cheer For Team Canada , and the Blue Jays dont we ? We all love Hockey , Beer and Snow forts Right? I love this country , every part of it . People it seems are acting like the Hutu & Tootsie tribes latley ( watch Hotel Rewanda for Canadian Pride ) . so if you hate the other side of the country , tell us why , and solidify your Canadain Hatred
As a Torontonian, I'm sick of most of my tax money being spent on services for people who live outside of Toronto, or outside of Ontario. The disparity in the level of government programs between Toronto and the rest of the country has grown to the point where I don't even feel like I live in Canada anymore. And despite all the sacrifices Torontonians make in their standard of living for the sake of the rest of the country, we are hated by Canadians. That's why I hope Toronto separates from Canada. Ontario separating from Canada would be the second best option.

·
Technocrat
878 Posts
^ Ummm...not to nitpick here but most Canadians don't regard that as a 'sacrifice'...more like Torontonians have had a lot of money stolen from them, and unfortunately they keep letting those particular thieves back into the house for some reason.

·
Edmontonian
710 Posts
Alberta is a large contributor to Canada's economy. The province is growing at a fast rate yet the Canadian government steals our money to support the underpreforming economies of the east. Let market forces decide what happens for once. I wish the Canadian government would do more to help Alberta get the resources it needs to support it's rapid growth instead of ignoring us. It's frusterating to see most of the imigrants heading to Toronto when they they should be going to Alberta where they are needed most.

As it stands, the Canadian government is being protectionist of eastern Canada's economy in saying screw western Canada. Almost like the US government being protectionist of the US economy in saying screw nafta.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
itom 987 said:
It's frusterating to see most of the imigrants heading to Toronto when they they should be going to Alberta where they are needed most.
I don't think this has anything to do with the Federal Government, since Immigrants can settle anywhere they like in the country. What Alberta lacks is international appeal, and if you don't have that, immmigrants won't move there. It is well known fact that it's a million times easier to immigrate to Quebec than Ontario (because of Ontario's quota cap), so maybe Alberta should follow Quebec's lead.

As it stands, the Canadian government is being protectionist of eastern Canada's economy in saying screw western Canada. Almost like the US government being protectionist of the US economy in saying screw nafta.
You mean corporate subsidies? Every part of the country gets them (BSE, Auto, Fisheries), not just the East. Unless the Feds re-enact the NEP, Toronto's the one who's really getting screwed. Toronto's not only subsidizing Ontario, but also the whole country.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Boris550 said:
...more like Torontonians have had a lot of money stolen from them, and unfortunately they keep letting those particular thieves back into the house for some reason.
What you clearly will not acknowledge is that no matter what party Toronto chooses, it will get royally screwed over. Even worse is that the Conservatives under Mike Harris left Toronto in tatters and tried to squeeze every penny out of it. If you want to vent your anger, blame it on the Ontario Conservative Party, Mike Harris and his rural cronies. They left Toronto in a dirty rut, and it'll take years before the healing process can begin.

·
Registered
84 Posts
itom 987 said:
Alberta is a large contributor to Canada's economy. The province is growing at a fast rate yet the Canadian government steals our money to support the underpreforming economies of the east. Let market forces decide what happens for once. I wish the Canadian government would do more to help Alberta get the resources it needs to support it's rapid growth instead of ignoring us. It's frusterating to see most of the imigrants heading to Toronto when they they should be going to Alberta where they are needed most.

Well I agree with equalization in principle, I think that today it's too much of a provincial welfare provision. The fact that some provinces are getting side deals only pisses me off more, but don't foget that Alberta got these same side deals 20-30 years ago. Ontario still remains the only province to never have been the beneficiary of equalization.

Equalization is constitutionally mandated, but the formula isn't. I think we can all agree that we don't want to touch the constitution again (at least nor for a little while longer), but the formula can be revamped to encourage growth, and not completely claw back benefits. Likewise, when a "have" province booms, like alberta and ontario did in the mid to late 90s, they shouldn't have to pay huge sums of extra money.

Eastern Canada is not screwing over western canada (anymore ;-) now that the NEP is long gone, and it was mulroney that got rid of it. Equalization, however, is screwing over the richer provinces and hindering the rest from becoming more affluent.

Immigration is also technically a provincial responsibility. It is their responsibilty to provide for new arrivals, and the fact that Vancouver and Toronto have large immigrant populations adds to their appeal to new arrivals. It's up to alberta to attract new people, and they have in the form of migration from other parts of Canada. I once read that as high as 70% of people over 30 in alberta were not from the province, but Canadians and a decent size of Americans. I can't remember where I saw that, but I remember that it was an older magazine (from the alte 70s, early 80s?) that I saw in our archives at school.

·
Who yeah gonna call?
110 Posts
I don't hate the West. To many nice people out there and, it is a huge key part of this nation. I don't like those who insult the east, because they thump their chest claiming west is best. I have even less respect for those who insult the east (GTA)and have never been here.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Canada is like a big Italian family....lots'a noise...lots'a drama...but I don't think anybody hates anybody.

KGB

·
Registered
495 Posts
A lot of Westerners, unfortunately, have a very provincial way of looking at things. I don't expect people to be content blindly handing out money in perpetuity but by the same token the mythology about "The East" that has been cooked up in BC and on the priaries is silly.

If I were from BC or Alberta I'd be embarrassed by the ignorance.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
it has to do with how the government runs the country and it also has to do with our population considering there are so few of us in this giant piece of land.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts