Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Formerly known as Bigboyz
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just on Dallasmetropolis.com and I saw several threads where posters said pretty mean things about the city. I have seen threads like that here as well and I'm just wondering why so many people dislike OKC? What is it about the place don't you like? I've passed through it a few times and it doesn't seem as bad as folks make it out to be.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not sure what you were reading on dallasmetropolis but that really doesn't sound like that site. To be honest the people on that site are usually very civilized. You got me curious now.

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Two things.

1. It seems like we've had a thread like this about twice a month for a while now.

2. I dont have a thing against the municipality of Oklahoma City, I'm sure its like anywhere else, nice urban areas, not-so-nice urban areas suburbs, etc. But the forumers from OKC seem to feel as though they have something to prove and in doing so I feel they are trying to elevate OKC to a level that it hasnt reached. Everyone feels like their city is special, and every city has special, unique qualities about it that give it a sense of place. But it seems to me that these forumers overdo it. And thats annoying. I dont hate on OKC I just dont usually visit the thread.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=8153

Seems overwhelmingly positive especially compared to this forum, with the exception of a few "Good for DFW's largest suburb" and "It's still Oklahoma hehe" posts lol. There are a ton of kids from DFW that choose OU, and I have a ton of friends/family there. I-35 between OKC and DFW (just over 2 hours) is one of the busiest interstate corridors..

And Oklahoma and Texas usually get lumped together.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
No they dont, ask anyone in the general public and Dallas frowns upon Oklahoma. Just like Atlanta frowns on Alabama, Chicago frowns on Indiana, and New York frowns on the rest of the country.

Bigger cities frown on cow towns/states. There is nothing special about this relationship with Dallas and OK, when there are 6 million+ people in a metro they have to go to college somewhere and OU just happens to be close by. Where they end up after college is whats important.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
And if you travel at an average speed of 102 mph you can get from Dallas to okc in right at 2 hours.

There is also a reason all of your friends/family live in Dallas and not OK.

·
Red Sox Nation!
1,497 Posts
And if you travel at an average speed of 102 mph you can get from Dallas to okc in right at 2 hours.

^^I'm willing to bet 1/3 of all your 400+ post are anti OKC post! What's wrong did somebody from OKC rub you the wrong way?:bash::nuts:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
OKC has had a lot of really positive national press lately. Not to mention the 900-footer we're getting when a lot of other cities have projects that are being scrapped or scaled back. I'm sure it can get annoying.

Although I work with tourists in downtown OKC and I'll say that in the real world outside of SSC there is not any negativity or "hate" toward OKC from the thousands of visitors every week. They are mostly just suprised and impressed.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I personally dont hate OKC. In fact at worst I think I always seem to overlook it for some reason, I hardly ever talk about it. Maybe if I had attended UT I would bash on it constantly. But yea like SRG was saying, about half of the people not going to a local school either go to OU or UT. Besides that there are tons of people from Oklahoma living in DFW.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I have nothing against OKC. I do admit I find some of the posters annoying because they seem to think OKC is the next coming of some type of Urban Utopia -- and its not. I have to admit SRG's dancing smiley is pretty annoying too. That's the truth. You asked - so be prepared to deal with people's honest answers.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have to admit SRG's dancing smiley is pretty annoying too.
+1 That made me laugh. :lol:

I have nothing against OKC. I do admit I find some of the posters annoying because they seem to think OKC is the next coming of some type of Urban Utopia -- and its not. That's the truth. You asked - so be prepared to deal with people's honest answers.
Especially when some of the OKC posters post such things as "how can you not say OKC is the next great American city" which is a pretty lame comment. There are cities such as Austin and Fort Worth that are growing much faster than OKC and they have more development than OKC. There should be more discussion about these places instead of the OKC posters over glorifying the new McDonalds that has come to town. Major case of little man syndrome going on.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts

Even Google, with its easily-beaten projections, estimates 2 hrs 21 mins from Norman (OKC) to Denton (DFW).

I have nothing against OKC. I do admit I find some of the posters annoying because they seem to think OKC is the next coming of some type of Urban Utopia -- and its not. I have to admit SRG's dancing smiley is pretty annoying too. That's the truth. You asked - so be prepared to deal with people's honest answers.
If you don't believe that OKC has the potential to be the next Denver or Austin, then you do have something against OKC, plain and simple. You discount the momentum that the little engine that could is building up with the downtown renaissance, new NBA team, new 925 ft tower, and Core2Shore/MAPS 3 ballot projects.

Everyone on this forum wishes they could dance like the SRG dancing smiley.

·
Banned
333 Posts
If you don't believe that OKC has the potential to be the next Denver or Austin, then you do have something against OKC, plain and simple.
And that's exactly why OKC has a bad name on this forum.

You discount the momentum that the little engine that could is building up with the downtown renaissance, new NBA team, new 925 ft tower, and Core2Shore/MAPS 3 ballot projects.
Please don't take the following as insulting.

Dude, a lot of cities smaller and larger than OKC are having downtown renaissances many bigger and better than what OKC is putting out. As for the tower, Mobile AL just recently built a nearly 800 foot building and you don't see posters from Mobile in here hyping up their city as some next this or that and then talking down to people who don't agree.

OKC isn't growing very much on a year to year basis, not enough for its residents to brag about, and a majority of that growth comes from the net gain of births and deaths.

I think you need outsider perspective of what OKC is now and what it'll be in the future.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was actually pretty glad to see OK get an NBA team because it gave us more regional rivals to compete with, as I would be glad if San Antonio got an NFL team or if Fort Worth had a pro team. However I could understand why that would be irritating if you lived in the northeast or northwest for example. Oh well whether you hate it, love it, or don't much care for OK I think we can all come to one conclusion: SRG's dancing smiley is indeed at least distracting.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
OKC isn't growing very much on a year to year basis, not enough for its residents to brag about, and a majority of that growth comes from the net gain of births and deaths.

I think you need outsider perspective of what OKC is now and what it'll be in the future.
Well pardon OKC for being the opposite of Phoenix.

As for Mobile, the tower is not even close 800 ft.. the spire is, though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.