• Colombus

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Toledo

Votes: 4 3.0%
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
born again cyclist
3,663 Posts
in terms of what? if were talking skyscrapers, it's undoubtedly chicago.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course that in the poll I didn't put Chicago, it would not be fair.

I'm talking proportionally to the city size of course.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't know. I would say Indy, Des Moines and Lincoln with Omaha and Columbus not far behind.

Yes, I voted for my home city.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Badgers77 said:
Madison is booming... not sure why it's not a choice.
I would've voted for Mad City if it were on the list but since it isn't I voted for Milwaukee. Actually I think Milwaukee and the Twin Cities are in a tie. The tie breaker for me is that I'm from Wisconsin and I know Milwaukee alot more than I do the Cities.

·
Fiercly Omahan
397 Posts
Omaha.

Downtown

-Downtown has condos coming out left and right. New construction and rehabs.
-A $90 million Peforming arts center that will be the 2nd major performing hall Downtown.
-Population around 6,000. To be 10,000+ around 2010.
-Remodeling of the Gene Leahy Mall. Think Central Park (used to be called acutally) but Omaha's version. Very succesful park in DT setting. New $14 million skating rink.
-A 25 story condo/hotel in the works for the Old Market.
-The 7th most profitable arena in the world, the Qwest Center. Opened in 2003 will see a 2,000-2,500 seat expansion in 2006.
-Possible high rise (300+) waiting on city to pick a proposal.

City

-404,276 in 2003. 8,050 annexation and annual growth rate puts the city at 416,000 in 2005.
-City spending to enhance (not rehab, no ghetto fixes) older neighborhoods.
-Organized effort for increased attention to area retail buildings. Setting community design standards.
-Elevated expressway in western Omaha to unite western Omaha to the interstate is under construction.

Suburbs

-Continued push towards Lincoln.
-Inter city (Omaha Lincoln) developments in residential and interstate widening underway.
-Cabela's secured and amusement park in the works btwn the two cities.
-Suburban retail expanding with 900,000 sq ft shopping center in Sarpy county.

Omaha-Lincoln population (2003): 1,106,199. By 2010 it will be around 1.2 million

·
Registered
149 Posts
Outside of Chicago, Minneapolis is seeing the biggest boom. The current residential and cultural projects in the dowtown area alone beat out every other midwestern city. Throw in the rest of the Twin Cities development and the area is ahead of most southern metro areas. Jasonhouse obviously disagrees, but being he's the admin., only his opinion counts.

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
I also agree that Minneapolis is the fastest growing area outside of Chicago.

·
muted
7,080 Posts
You're right... boom might not be the appropriate term, SChristopher.

However, I'm going with Minneapolis on this one. It's cruising right now.

Edit: But regardless of which city is moving the fastest, it's great to see a lot of midwestern cities such as St. Louis and Milwaukee experiencing a resurgence.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm biased. But seriously, I've never felt so overwelmed trying to track all of the projects going on in Madison. It's sick.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
yeah..thats true!^ Most people here dont even realize all the numerous developments going on in Madison. So many midrise...yet beautiful condos. Then there was that 570 foot megalith. Is that officially dead now Jason...or are they scaling it down?

·
Registered
149 Posts
SChristopher said:
To classify any of these cities as being in a BOOM would be a vast exageration in my opinion.
LOL!! Someone from Louisville knows all about the boom towns.

Since 2004, 6,000 units have been annouced or completed in downtown Minneapolis, plus the cultural projecst. Other than Chicago, there isn't one city in the midwest that can compete. Again, most cities in the south can't compare.

·
Registered
612 Posts
ReddAlert said:
yeah..thats true!^ Most people here dont even realize all the numerous developments going on in Madison. So many midrise...yet beautiful condos. Then there was that 570 foot megalith. Is that officially dead now Jason...or are they scaling it down?
Oh man, it was dead before it was even proposed. It breaks at least 3 laws, including one because it's in a flight path to the airport. However, it has opened some eyes and started some discussion as to where Madison is headed, which is exactly what Brink meant to do with his proposal (applaud Mr. Brink), but that's more for the Madison thread for specifics.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Have you ever tried to drive down major and side streets in residential sections of Chicago and been stuck in incredible grid lock. Nothing moves, except for the pedestrians?

You don't know how well off you can be without the "boom"; quality of life can suffer. And does.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
twincities03 said:
LOL!! Someone from Louisville knows all about the boom towns.

Since 2004, 6,000 units have been annouced or completed in downtown Minneapolis, plus the cultural projecst. Other than Chicago, there isn't one city in the midwest that can compete. Again, most cities in the south can't compare.
I am not FROM Louisville mister defensive, I am merely here right now, I move all over. To clear things up for you I am FROM Los Angeles, and in terms of a boom it sits on your city's face. Anywho I find yours to be a great city just not in a BOOM compared to others that rightfully are. Many of these are simply recovering.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts