SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Love the exterior, not so sure about the extra corporate sideline, especially with no chance of a major team. But I guess if the market is in demand for alot of suites and boxes. Hope they aren't planning much basketball use, looks good for concerts and hockey though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I daresay the prime tenant would be Wichita State University, which has a big basketball program.

Can't think of any other teams in Wichita that would be worthy of a 15,000 seat arena to be honest.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I daresay the prime tenant would be Wichita State University, which has a big basketball program.

Can't think of any other teams in Wichita that would be worthy of a 15,000 seat arena to be honest.
WSU already has its own arena, the Charles Koch Arena.

This arena is a monumental waste of money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The main tenant for the new arena is the Wichita Thunder hockey team, which is part of the CHL. Also rumored for the new arena, is new AF2 and indoor soccer teams. It will also host ALL concerts and MANY other sporting events.

It's FAARRRR from a waste of money! Me and about 99% of the people I know can't wait 'til it's finished, so that we can go to some events there!!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
The main tenant for the new arena is the Wichita Thunder hockey team, which is part of the CHL. Also rumored for the new arena, is new AF2 and indoor soccer teams. It will also host ALL concerts and MANY other sporting events.

It's FAARRRR from a waste of money! Me and about 99% of the people I know can't wait 'til it's finished, so that we can go to some events there!!
So you think minor-league arena football, soccer and hockey will sell out 14-15K?

I sure hope you're right...

And for $200M+, yes, an arena of this size is a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
No arena in the United States sells out EVERY event that it hosts...

Also, the arena itself costs $183,625,241 not $200+ million. :)
Adding in land acquisition costs and renovations to the Kansas Coliseum, the project comes up to $205.5M.

Most arenas this size cost no more than $150M.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just looked up a bunch of the figures and it really is in about the middle of the pack...

What do you think of Tulsa building a 19,000 seat arena while only having just a CHL hockey team(with worse attendance than Wichita) and an AF2 team(only averaging 5,000+ a game)?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I just looked up a bunch of the figures and it really is in about the middle of the pack...

What do you think of Tulsa building a 19,000 seat arena while only having just a CHL hockey team(with worse attendance than Wichita) and an AF2 team(only averaging 5,000+ a game)?
Tulsa's decision to build the BOK Center at that capacity and cost ($195M) was almost equally dubious. Same goes for Sprint Center ($276M) here in KC.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Alright, well at least you're fair. :)
Yeah, KC's my hometown, and while I'm certainly proud of such a splendid facility, part of me looks at the fact that OKC built the Ford Center for under $90M, and even after $120M in renovations for NBA it costs substantially less than the $276M we're on the hook for (with no NBA or NHL tenant). I read somewhere that Sprint Center is still the most expensive arena in the US or Canada without a major-league anchor tenant--the arena portion of the $291M Qwest Center in Omaha cost only about $80M. I feel that we could've built a 17/18,000-seat arena for under $200M that still would've not only brought the Big 12 and NCAA tournament back to KC but also landed an NBA or NHL tenant in the future.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Tulsa's decision to build the BOK Center at that capacity and cost ($195M) was almost equally dubious. Same goes for Sprint Center ($276M) here in KC.
Sprint Center was built to lure a major league franchise for either the NBA, NHL, or Both. Right now, of course its a waste of money because they have neither. But that's still better than a 19,000 seat arena designed to host AA hockey.

·
Time for go to bed!
1,061 Posts
This arena kinda reminds me of Atlanta's Philips Arena.

·
Unregistered User
2,579 Posts
WSU already has its own arena, the Charles Koch Arena.

This arena is a monumental waste of money.
unrelated, however i feel i must say this.

This arena has absolutely the worst tv camera angle i have ever seen.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts