SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Austria,

I discovered a very interesting project that you all probably know about.
Its the sargfabrik in Wien/Vienna.

Im analyzing this project and Im curious to know about your opinions, does it work? What's its future potential?...

The Sargfabrik is much more than a housing model— it’s a way of life. Along with the luxurious roof garden, a range of common areas creates a landscape of communication and pleasure, with a cultural house, restaurant, kindergarten, and twenty-four-hour bathhouse that is also publically accessible. Parking spaces for cars were kept to a minimum in order to make room for the swimming area, and only by designating the building a “residence hall” could public funding be secured. The Sargfabrik and Miss Sargfabrik are owned by the Association for Integrative Lifestyle (VIL), which rents out the seventy-five units—maisonettes with floor areas of 45 m2, with the possibility of linking up to six units—modeled as a collective. There is very little turnover. Identification and dedication are already evident in the second generation, some of whom have no intention of moving further away than the neighboring Miss Sargfabrik, the younger sociotope offshoot. Its thirty-nine units, including a number of living-working-ateliers, provide for new spatial experiences with angled walls and inclined floors. A community kitchen, library, and rehearsal room serve to augment the Sargfabrik’s facilities.

Angelika Fitz http://www.wohnmodelle.at/index.php?id=90,81,0,0,1,0
Some images of the project

wohnmodelle.at

I'd love to hear your opinions, thanks!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
hi,

i think it's a cool project, it has positive and negative sides:

+ very cool architecture
+ indoor pool that's open to the public on some days
+ much nature (considering it's in the city)

- not much privacy
- not much left from the old sargfabrik (coffin factory)

·
Registered
15,797 Posts
I've heard about it once but don't know a lot about it.
It would be interesting to know how it works in reality however.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi,

i think it's a cool project, it has positive and negative sides:

+ very cool architecture
+ indoor pool that's open to the public on some days
+ much nature (considering it's in the city)

- not much privacy
- not much left from the old sargfabrik (coffin factory)
Cool, and interesting... and thanks for the feedback
Not much privacy?
And how do you mean.. in literal private space? Does work too much as a 'comunne' ? Maybe they bring the 'privacy' feeling on other ways then just private space?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Cool, and interesting... and thanks for the feedback
Not much privacy?
And how do you mean.. in literal private space? Does work too much as a 'comunne' ? Maybe they bring the 'privacy' feeling on other ways then just private space?
if i remember correctly the sargfabrik started as a project that was founded by some architects and their friends. they bought the areal of the coffin factory and wanted to turn it into a living space. unfortunately they realized that the old structur wasn't as good as expected and so they decided to start from scratch and used the space to create something new.

their idea was to live together, to share space and have public parts and private parts. for example: the lack of privacy is visible when you go into the project. there are many windows and they also face to the walkway where you go. you can literally look into some flats, you can see a computer, carpets, a kitchen etc.

there are also many balconies, and they are very exposed. it is a bit like in a little italian city where you can see the neighbour close by.

there are also flats which have an entrance door and next to this entrance door there are huge windows that are from the living room. if you visit someone and go by the walkway, you might see people watching tv while you step by. it's strange but interesting at once. the whole open-ness is quite unique to vienna, because people here actually want their privacy and do not want to share it with others.

here are more photos:

btw: if you are interested in a project that has similarities to the bkk3 sargfabrik search for "terrassenhäuser rüdiger lainer". here are photos of it:

·
yeah, whatever
5,752 Posts
My father is a friend of one of the founders of the project. They were not architects but merely wanted to live together in a commune like atmosphere, where one would still have a degree of privacy.

bodypainter pretty much explained everything else. The interesting part about the Sargfabrik is, that it is still organized as a cooperative. The inhabitants do not own their apartments, but have a share in the whole project. From the legal point of view, it works pretty much like a hostel or dormitories, yet with collective ownership (I think they had to resort to that legal construct to have both the collective and individual part of living).

Anyways it's a highly successful project and my father only told me good things about it ;-) Actually they expanded it, with an additional building, Miss Sargfabrik. I think that is partly commercial, i.e. parts of it are rented out, but I'm not really sure about that.

As for the privacy I heard that the problem is mostly architectural wise. There are many glass walls and one can see into each of the rooms from pretty much everywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts