Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
8,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange says he has sought refuge in Ecuador's London embassy because his native Australia has abandoned him.

Mr Assange is seeking diplomatic asylum to prevent him being sent to Sweden to answer accusations of rape and assault, which he denies.

In his first interview since entering the embassy, Mr Assange admitted there was no guarantee his bid would succeed.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18546082

Hiding in Ecuador embassy in London.

·
En travesti
510 Posts
Ah so that's why Obama can't contain his happiness. He knows he can snatch Assange at any point in Ecuador.

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
He's trying to make out (true or not) that they're only trying to get him into Sweden so the United States can take him from there (which I don't know why they couldn't do from the UK, considering the significantly closer ties to the US).

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
He's trying to make out (true or not) that they're only trying to get him into Sweden so the United States can take him from there (which I don't know why they couldn't do from the UK, considering the significantly closer ties to the US).
Probably has a better chance of being proven innocent in England maybe? I don't know an awful lot about all this, but from what I have seen/read it's all very sus. Seems like he is being framed.

·
Registered
790 Posts
is there actually a difference in what he did compared to what a live reporter reports on the battlefield?? or wait...the 1% only wants the 99% to read and watcn what they dictate....

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Probably has a better chance of being proven innocent in England maybe? I don't know an awful lot about all this, but from what I have seen/read it's all very sus. Seems like he is being framed.
Ummm...no. Sweden has repeatedly said that he is not wanted over Wikileaks. He's wanted for sexually abusing two women. There's absolutely no indication that Sweden intends to charge him for anything regarding Wikileaks. Not everything has to be some kind of cover-up, especially in a liberal democracy like Sweden.

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
It's all becoming very complicated. But if he feels he is innocent, he should stand up and face the sexual charges in Sweden. That's pretty serious stuff. Even if he thinks it's a plot to get his extradited to the US, if it is all untrue he should be able to prove it in court. I don't really understand either why going to Sweden is so bad, surey the Yanks if they had it in for him could get him extradited just as easily from the NATO member UK.

He seems to believe that everyone should have the right to know everything, freedom of the press, etc. And at first glance it seems a noble cause. But maybe not in reality. During WW2 and the months leading up to the Allied D Day landings in France there was an elaberate ruse to convince Hitler and the Germans that the main Allied landing was be further North. Fake armies were created, plans leaked, dummy attacks made. It was very successful and the Germans wasted a lot of effort defending this area whilst the true and only landing took place in Normanby.

Now in this perfect world of everyone has the right to know everything, A Julian Assange of the time in 1944 would have felt entitled to have revealed the Allied secret plot, there will be no second landing and a lot more lives would have been lost and probably history changed. It's just one example, and although we aren't quite in as serious a situation as WW2, the Western World is at present in a conflict, and a lot of those released cables related to present events. Some of it was embarrising to the US, but some also were serious security issues.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Ummm...no. Sweden has repeatedly said that he is not wanted over Wikileaks. He's wanted for sexually abusing two women. There's absolutely no indication that Sweden intends to charge him for anything regarding Wikileaks. Not everything has to be some kind of cover-up, especially in a liberal democracy like Sweden.
I'm sure this never would have been made an issue if not for wikileaks. He didn't break any laws releasing the information and is protected by freedom of the press, so governments had to find something else to get him on.

Now in this perfect world of everyone has the right to know everything, A Julian Assange of the time in 1944 would have felt entitled to have revealed the Allied secret plot, there will be no second landing and a lot more lives would have been lost and probably history changed. It's just one example, and although we aren't quite in as serious a situation as WW2, the Western World is at present in a conflict, and a lot of those released cables related to present events. Some of it was embarrising to the US, but some also were serious security issues.
He did not just dump a confidential document to the public, Assange is not that reckless and neither is the press. The documents were submitted to the new York times and the guardian, who were in contact with the whitehouse, and military and government advisers who filtered the information for anything that would directly place spies and troops in harms way.
I suggest you read this from the new York times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/magazine/30Wikileaks-t.html?pagewanted=all

Note this section:

Because of the range of the material and the very nature of diplomacy, the embassy cables were bound to be more explosive than the War Logs. Dean Baquet, our Washington bureau chief, gave the White House an early warning on Nov. 19. The following Tuesday, two days before Thanksgiving, Baquet and two colleagues were invited to a windowless room at the State Department, where they encountered an unsmiling crowd. Representatives from the White House, the State Department, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the C.I.A., the Defense Intelligence Agency, the F.B.I. and the Pentagon gathered around a conference table. Others, who never identified themselves, lined the walls. A solitary note-taker tapped away on a computer.

The administration’s concerns generally fell into three categories. First was the importance of protecting individuals who had spoken candidly to American diplomats in oppressive countries. We almost always agreed on those and were grateful to the government for pointing out some we overlooked.

“We were all aware of dire stakes for some of the people named in the cables if we failed to obscure their identities,” Shane wrote to me later, recalling the nature of the meetings. Like many of us, Shane has worked in countries where dissent can mean prison or worse. “That sometimes meant not just removing the name but also references to institutions that might give a clue to an identity and sometimes even the dates of conversations, which might be compared with surveillance tapes of an American Embassy to reveal who was visiting the diplomats that day.”

The second category included sensitive American programs, usually related to intelligence. We agreed to withhold some of this information, like a cable describing an intelligence-sharing program that took years to arrange and might be lost if exposed. In other cases, we went away convinced that publication would cause some embarrassment but no real harm.

The third category consisted of cables that disclosed candid comments by and about foreign officials, including heads of state. The State Department feared publication would strain relations with those countries. We were mostly unconvinced.

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
Some of those newspapers choose what they themselves printed. But in general Wikileaks has just released most stuff straight to the net. That was reckless and that was Assange.

·
Environmental Busybody
13,846 Posts
That's what I don't get, of all places to worry about, he's worried about Sweden? If Australia doesn't extradite to countries with death penalties, I doubt Sweden would?

Strange story.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Some of those newspapers choose what they themselves printed. But in general Wikileaks has just released most stuff straight to the net. That was reckless and that was Assange.
That is not true, the stuff released to the net was first sent to the papers so they could talk with the military and government to filter the content from anything that would directly endanger lives, as described in the new york times article above. They choose to release material that the government did not want released, stuff that embarrassed the government but were careful to avoid anything that would directly endanger lives. This is war time and Assange and the press of course do not want to be responsible for deaths.

·
Premium Member
18,570 Posts
I'm sorry, but at first he was called up to turn up voluntarily for questioning by Swedish prosecutors and he refused, so of course they treated him like a hostile suspect and therefore stepped up actions against him (namely the extradition). If he has nothing to hide (as I've said before) he should simply come here and appear before the prosecutors.

Until proven otherwise I trust my government when they say his questioning has nothing to do with Wikileaks. If I am proven otherwise I will be very disappointed.

·
Registered
794 Posts
^ "I trust my government". Since when are you Swedish? :lol:

But I do agree with your sentiments 100%. When people try to evade the law and then start sulking and making excuses, I get slightly suspicious. Sweden isn't Uganda. Assange doth protest too much methinks.

·
Premium Member
18,570 Posts
^ "I trust my government". Since when are you Swedish? :lol:

But I do agree with your sentiments 100%. When people try to evade the law and then start sulking and making excuses, I get slightly suspicious. Sweden isn't Uganda. Assange doth protest too much methinks.
I live here, pay taxes here and am a resident here, so for all intents and purposes, they are my government now. Been living here for 10 months. ;)

·
Banned
192 Posts
:lol:eek:f course he isnt guilty..its very rare for someone to start commiting sexual assault in their 40s FFS..TOTAL FUCKING SET UP..you aussies have abandoned one of your own a real modern hero of democracy who stands up for human freedom and youve disgustingly let him hang:nono:

·
Premium Member
18,570 Posts
:lol:eek:f course he isnt guilty..its very rare for someone to start commiting sexual assault in their 40s FFS..TOTAL FUCKING SET UP..you aussies have abandoned one of your own a real modern hero of democracy who stands up for human freedom and youve disgustingly let him hang:nono:
And you can justify this stance from listening to all evidence available from the prosecutors? I think you have to accept that no matter how much of a "freedom fighter" someone might be, they still have just as much capacity as us "mere mortals" to commit a crime...

Like I said, he should have just answered the first request from the Swedish prosecutors to come in voluntarily for questioning, but he refused and so, as I said above, they pursued him as a hostile suspect due to his refusal to answer simple questions. Sorry, but no innocent person acts like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts