SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.natuurbrug.nl/

Just north of the Hilversum C.C. ground, a viaduct built for wildlife has just opened. It crosses several roads, a motorway, railway and waterways en enables for example deer to cross those. It is 800m long

·
Banned
7,712 Posts
Walked around these places earlier this week and it is an improvement yet the acoustics are very different from before. It's "vrbrvrberrrrrr" - bit of silence - and then again it's more "vrbrvrberrrrrr" whereas before it was just "vrbrvrberovrbrvrberrrrrrrrrrr"

·
53,109 Posts
There are numerous of these ecoducts in NL. One of the oldest i think is on the A50 near Arnhem.

i think these things are good. The Netherlands is a busy country, with a lot of traffic, and the areas for wildlife is getting smaller, mostly because of urbanization.

·
Registered
572 Posts
These things are awesome. Ecoducts, wildlife crossings, wildlife corridors, whatever you want to call them are awesome. There really is need for these things in the Sunbelt region of the U.S. I would say especially in the Southeastern Piedmont arc from Richmond down to Atlanta. That whole area is awash in almost unfettered sprawl for newcomers, retirees, immigrants, and just unregulated development. It would be great if the states could come together, and put these libertarian views of landownership in a steel box. They could form a regional agency to bring together parcels of land that could eventually form a natural corridor in and across VA, NC, SC, and GA.

·
Banned
7,712 Posts
The removing of an old tree standing in the way of a highway extension near LA once caught my eye. This tree was moved over a distance of a few hundred metres. I think the US already have the awareness but perhaps the necessity is less than in a european country. Ecoducts are still a rarity though. The one shown above is near Apeldoorn, along the A1 near Apeldoorn there's another plus another one closer to Arnhem along the A50 plus one more further down south near Arnhem.

This ecoduct near Hilversum is by far the largest and the most complex one. The Arnhem/Apeldoorn region is very sandy with construction being executed fairly easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts