SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think Mathews will put up with Jason Ackermanis being stupid and disruptive for the rest of the season or drop him to the reserves?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Aker is a superstar. He is the FACE of the Lions. Mathews time might be up more like it.

The press in Melbourne is getting stuck in because they have been waiting for a while until he trips up and his form slipped to really lay in to him.

Personally I'd like to invite Aker to play for Carlton any day he wants to, bring Jonathan Brown back with you also!

·
Banned
481 Posts
Aker opening his mouth and saying silly things can be overlooked when the team is winning three flags in a row. But now the team is languishing near the bottom. Problem is, Aker is still Aker and when he opens his mouth now, what he says wears thin pretty quickly. Because the Lions won't be featuring in any 'important' games from now until the end of the season, I reckon Mathews might just drop him for a game, or two.

Mathews should have made an example of him years ago.

·
©
9,473 Posts
I just caught something on the radio today saying that he will be traded at seasons end. I only caught the end of it though, so i'm not exactly sure if thats the case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jason Akermanis has been an absolute superstar over the years but with the team doing so poorly, he has been made a scapegoat. He has had a pretty ordinary year culminating in losing the plot against the swans last week giving away stupid free kicks.

he was very lucky to be cleared of striking, but matthews needs to drop him for a game or two.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
He won the best and fairest at the Lions last year and now they are rounding on him....according to some Melbourne journos of course. For all we really know they are completely oblivious to all this crap in Brisbane. The press needs something to talk about and he makes an easy target. I saw him play Geelong in round 1 down in Geelong and he played his heart out, was at the bottom of every pack and busting a gut out there. Even involved in a couple of scuffles. These journos are just wannabees, people like Andrew Maher, Tim Watson, Bill Brownless, Caro Wilson, Mike Sheahan. They just need something to grasp onto to talk about. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Thats the nature of AFL...one minute you are the flavour of the month, the next minute they are asking you to pack your bags.

Take Byron Pickett. Ripped the Lions apart in the 2004 Grand Final, won the norm smith medal for best on ground, hailed a hero by his team, and yet at the end of 2005, was asked to leave.

Gone are the days when Collingwood offered Leigh Mathews the coaching job for life after they won the 1990 flag.

·
©
9,473 Posts
***BREAKING NEWS***

Acka has been dropped indefinitely from the Lions squad. All the senior players got together after their last match & decided that Acka's discipline on & off the field had become unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

If they get thumped this weekend they won't be able to use Aker as an excuse.

Disgraceful treating a club champion like this.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Wezza said:
***BREAKING NEWS***

Acka has been dropped indefinitely from the Lions squad. All the senior players got together after their last match & decided that Acka's discipline on & off the field had become unacceptable.
So it wasnt the match committee then? Hmmm interesting.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
They'll get rid of him seasons end.
Id say theres more to it, between him and Mathews.

The guy is a champion player. He is a bit of a character, with probably too much to say, but he should be jugded by his performance on the field not what he says off it.
He isnt the most populat guy in the league, and everyone wants thier chance to tear strips off the guy. I doubt he will let it get to him, as its not the first time he has been the medias target.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Further fuel on the fire on Triple M this evening.

Aker obviously has the personal philosophy of "burn baby, burn!"

He should have just said nothing, because we have to put up with another week of shit now.

·
©
9,473 Posts
There is speculation now that Ackermanis may be back in 1st grade this weekend after a 5 goal haul in the reserves on the weekend & an injury to Joel McDonald that will see him out for 12 months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts