Skyscraper City Forum banner

Will any of the S&B countries EVER get a 500m+ skyscraper?

• Yeah, eventually...

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • No, never!

Votes: 26 50.0%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think any of the Scandinavian or Baltic countries will ever get a 500m or taller skyscraper? And I mean ever .. (in 5 years, 50 years, 500 years, etc) .. It obviously doesnt look like they will ever come .. but who knows .. 200 years ago I bet no American thought that New York was gonna look the way it does .. And the same with Hong kong and all the other big skyscraper cities ... so I think they defidentally will .. but how soon, im not sure .. Maybe in the year 2200.. :)

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
How can we know what will happen in 500 or more years? There's no point to ask or answer this question. I might answer yes or no but I have (and nobody does) have arguments to base such statement.

However in a forseeable future (40-50 years) there won't be any 500m skyscraper (not even 300m perhaps) in any Scandinavian or Baltic country.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
No, most likely never. Why? Two factors might create such giant here, and none works:
1. Demand? There would never be China density here and near this region. We have no hope to be a kind of global center either.
2. Ambitions? Contrary to many other places, Scandinavia has very little "dick-wawing" complexes and in Baltics it will decrease soon as well, I think.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
John said:
How can we know what will happen in 500 or more years? There's no point to ask or answer this question. I might answer yes or no but I have (and nobody does) have arguments to base such statement.
I know there is no real answer to this. I'm only asking if you believe that they will ever come to S&B. thats it..

·
Super Moderator
11,305 Posts
Well to say 'anytime' in the future is too much, as you never know what will happen in 5 centuries. Look at what Europe was like in the 16th century.
But in the nearfuture, let's say up to 50 years ahead, I say no, I don't think so, 500m is way too much. Maybe an observation or telecommunication tower, but skyscraper, I don't see it happening

·
always on
4,826 Posts
yes i think we will... 500 years ago most of our cities.. with some exceptions, like Tallinn, were spots on the map... now we are, some of us, like Tallinn, smaller spots :d. But if the trend continues... well i dont know.. eventually well get immigrants here... and pop will increase.. and in the future i think 500m scrapers will be the norm... remember than when in the 30s an 8 storey building was built it was considered abnormal and super high! :)

so my answer is.. yes, definatly

·
Have a mint.
396 Posts
John said:
However in a forseeable future (40-50 years) there won't be any 500m skyscraper (not even 300m perhaps) in any Scandinavian or Baltic country.
You're in for a surprise. ;)
The idea and concept of building tall is slowly but firmly starting to grow on Scandinavians. Give it about 8-10 years time and the first 300m skyscraper will be U/C in S/B. Perhaps even sooner.

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Unless there are some dramatical climate-changes in the future, causing an insane immigration to our region, I don't think so. There is no need to build THAT high, and I guess it won't make ecological nor economical sense. The latter may change, but still.

I think maybe around 300 habitable meters is what we can hope for in the future. There may be other structures that reach 500 meter, ofcourse. There is already the Troll A platform in the North Sea, 472 meters tall (http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b23582 )

·
Citizen of heavenly city!
634 Posts
NEVER. It is impossible, I totally agree with Gatis. There's no point to imagine what would our region after 500 years be like. Im not sure if our global economy lasts even for century more. Climate is changing and impact could be enormous, especially for our food supplys. Building supertalls here.........not a chance. People will be lucky if they have sth to eat in the future instead of building megascrapers. We are living in an era of prosperity which unfotunately is about to end in our century.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes, I believe we will soon have a skyscraper more than 500 meters tall.

The Norwegian oil platform Troll A is already 472 meters tall, as NorthStar77 has already pointed out:

Next to the Eiffel tower:

Under construction, top half:

·
Registered
520 Posts
The chances for a baltic 500+ m building for the coming years is very low.
But maybe Denmark, Sweden or Norway, or even Finland?
VOTE Norway

1 - 20 of 49 Posts