SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be visiting guangzhou this summer...
i'm not familiar with the city and i can't seem to find guidebooks for guangzhou....why why?? how come there are shit loads of guidebooks for hong kong, and guangzhou only takes up a skimmpy section in china's guidebooks. um hello?! good and cheap food....need i say more? :cheers:

so could anyone provide me with a list of things to do and eat?
i'm not particularly interested in historic parks and museums (i can make a trip to my local library if i wanted to do that). so think i'll just walk around and explore the city...
what are some obscure and unique places that a person like myself might not know and should visit?
and when i get there, i plan to eat 4 times a day, with snacks between meals :colgate: so what are some really good restaurants? local food and snacks? (i'm a food junkie so feel free to give me a looonngg list) good bakeries?

if you guys could provide a list of places w/ address (would always be helpful) i'd really appreciate it :)

p.s. i live in northern california, so if anyone wants to come visit northern cali and would like some info feel free to ask me :) thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
clumsyk, you WOULD MISS A LOT in your trip in GZ if you don't visit the historical places and museums, as GZ has OVER 2000 YEARS IN HISTORY! Also, GZ is also one of important cities in the modern history for the past 170 years! ;)

Some places that you MUST visit:
--Yuexiu Park (越秀公园 ), where the Five Ram Staute and the GZ Museum are inside the Park.

--The Museum of the Mausoleum of Nanyue King (西汉南越王博物馆 ), it is located at the west of the Yuexiu Park.

--The Chen Clan's Academy (陈氏书院 OR 陈家伺 ), there are many exhibits for the arts, chinas and crafts.

--Shamiandao (沙面岛 ), it was the first colony within the Chinese Terrotory. It is a unique island with many European Houses.

--Baiyun Mountain (白云山 )

You can also take the boat journey at night for having a view of both banks of the Pearl River (Zhujiang, 珠江 ).

The following two places are best place for both shopping and history:
--Beijing Road (北京路 ) in Yuexiu District (越秀区 ).

--Shangxiajiu Lu (上下九路 )+Dishipu Lu (第十莆路 ) in Liwan District (荔湾区 ).

Both Roads above are Walking Streets.

GZ is the origin Yumcha (Drink Tea+Eating Dim Sam [Chinese Shack]!). You absoulately place several Yumchas in your trip in GZ! ;)

You can yumcha in Taotaoju (陶陶居 ) or Lianxianglou (莲香楼 ). Or you can have a great meal in the Guangzhou Restaurant (广州酒家 ). Those restaurants that I've mentioned above are located in Shangxiajiu Lu+Dishipu Lu.

Hope my info is helpful to you. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well technically i've already been to guangzhou. last time i went, my relatives took me around guangzhou to see all of the "meaningful and historical places" in guangzhou...which was fun (k i lied, i hated it, it was boring)!!! so i'd much rather spend my days exploring the city and visit places that a typical person living in gz might do.

so this time...i'm going to try and focus on typical city life experiences/places. though i do like your suggestions for: Yuexiu Park (越秀公园 ), Shamiandao (沙面岛 ) and all of the restaurants you mentioned of course.
i think i'll squeeze that into my itinerary...thanks hkth!! :)

are there any specialty restaurants/foods in guangzhou that you could recommend?
on my last trip to gz, i went to this restaurant that specializes in sha ho fun? (don't know the chinese for it) but i think they're rice noodles?! but man...they were so good. definitely going back, and hoping to find more places like that.

so places/things that i'm hoping to visit and do:
parks
bookstores
plazas, sit and people watch (yes, might seem scary...but that's what i want to do damn it :sleepy: )
walk around local street markets
malls
try local food (whatever that means)
dim sum...dim sum...and dim sum
bakeries...sweets...whatever i find that looks good to eat
mcdonalds (yes, that's right...wanted to see if there's a difference)
pizza (same reason as mcdonalds)
internet cafes...does anyone know if internet cafe computers have cd burners? are internet cafes popular in gz? and where are they located exactly?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
clumsyk said:
so this time...i'm going to try and focus on typical city life experiences/places. though i do like your suggestions for: Yuexiu Park (越秀公园 ), Shamiandao (沙面岛 ) and all of the restaurants you mentioned of course.
i think i'll squeeze that into my itinerary...thanks hkth!! :)
Thank you! ;)

clumsyk said:
are there any specialty restaurants/foods in guangzhou that you could recommend?
on my last trip to gz, i went to this restaurant that specializes in sha ho fun? (don't know the chinese for it) but i think they're rice noodles?! but man...they were so good. definitely going back, and hoping to find more places like that.
Sorry, I couldn't recommend other restaurants besides those for yumcha where those I like most! :D :D :D

clumsyk said:
so places/things that i'm hoping to visit and do:
parks
bookstores
plazas, sit and people watch (yes, might seem scary...but that's what i want to do damn it :sleepy: )
walk around local street markets
malls
try local food (whatever that means)
dim sum...dim sum...and dim sum
bakeries...sweets...whatever i find that looks good to eat
mcdonalds (yes, that's right...wanted to see if there's a difference)
pizza (same reason as mcdonalds)
internet cafes...does anyone know if internet cafe computers have cd burners? are internet cafes popular in gz? and where are they located exactly?
If you want to shop outside those two walking streets, I would recommend those shopping malls in Tianhe District(天河区 ). There is also one large bookmall there.

More info for GZ tourism can refer The Govermental English website for GZ Tourism. :|

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am goign to visit guangzhou too~ i am wondering if there's any good hair salon place? (for straightening hair and highlights) thank youuu!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wondering if anyone can answer this question...
i'm planning to bring my phone and use it in guangzhou (it's unlocked)
but how does phone rates work in china? do you have sign an annual contract inorder to receive a phone number? or could you just purchase a sim card and purchase a prepaid phone? if so...does anyone know how much does it cost to purchase sim cards and prepaid phone cards?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts