SkyscraperCity banner

Will HK build any scraper taller than the ICC in the near future?

• DEFINITELY!!!

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • NO WAY!!!

Votes: 7 22.6%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As for now, the 2-IFC is the tallest building in HK but once The ICC is finished, it will take the title away from the 2-IFC and from HK Island. How about sometime in the near future? Do you think there will be a skyscraper taller than the ICC constructued?

·
Registered
166 Posts
WANCH said:
As for now, the 2-IFC is the tallest building in HK but once The ICC is finished, it will take the title away from the 2-IFC and from HK Island. How about sometime in the near future? Do you think there will be a skyscraper taller than the ICC constructued?
I have no idea if there is a high demand for office-space or residential-appartments, but if I have to guess, I think there won't be a higher building than the ICC(when it's build) for at least 5 years.

·
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...
1,529 Posts
the demand is high, but the restrictions are "higher" (< Just say it in Cantonese it would work...)

however I do not doubt the possibility of a tall one for West Kowloon Cultural District or even Old Kai Tak if Hong Kong goes the way of Dubai projects (one big tall one as a symbol)... prolly not gonna top ICC but should be tall regardless

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Magic Night said:
Definately yes, HK is a skycraper city, I find it shameful that we don't have the world's tallest skyscraper.
Shameful? An exaggeration?

In any case, I don't. We've never had the World's Tallest Skyscraper title, yet we're still considered amongst THE 3 Skyscraper cities (most would argue we're #1). Since the 90's though we've always had buildigns in the top 10 - momentarily we're out of the top 5, but with the completion of the ICC should be back up there.

So why start now? The only reason we'd have to do so is if we have an inferiority complex going over Dubai, which I just can't see happening.

Leave such miniscule details to Dubai, and we'll continue having the world's best skyline regardless of whether or not we have the "WTB" title.

Besides, it's done Taipei and Kuala Lumpur a fat load of good hasn't it ... ?

Remember THIS

·
Registered
374 Posts
What do you mean by "near future"? In 3 years, 5 years?

How long does it take to build one as tall as ICC or 2IFC? 3-5 years? Even if a new tall's announced today, it still won't be ready for 3-5 years, the "near future".

·
Registered
138 Posts
_00_deathscar said:
Shameful? An exaggeration?

In any case, I don't. We've never had the World's Tallest Skyscraper title, yet we're still considered amongst THE 3 Skyscraper cities (most would argue we're #1). Since the 90's though we've always had buildigns in the top 10 - momentarily we're out of the top 5, but with the completion of the ICC should be back up there.

So why start now? The only reason we'd have to do so is if we have an inferiority complex going over Dubai, which I just can't see happening.

Leave such miniscule details to Dubai, and we'll continue having the world's best skyline regardless of whether or not we have the "WTB" title.

Besides, it's done Taipei and Kuala Lumpur a fat load of good hasn't it ... ?

Remember THIS
I guess I was exagerating a bit, but I wish we had the 2nd or 3rd highest building. I 100% agree with you.

·
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Magic Night said:
I guess I was exagerating a bit, but I wish we had the 2nd or 3rd highest building. I 100% agree with you.
To me it don't matter if HK had the 2nd or 3rd highest. The city already has one of the best skylines in the world.

NY is still one of the top skylines without the WTC.

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
In Kowloon there is always potential to build taller than ICC.
Hong Kong Island should be left alone for now--at least with respect to WTB contenders. More midrises to further balance the skyline would be great.

But the future is Kowloon.

·
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
superchan7 said:
In Kowloon there is always potential to build taller than ICC.
Hong Kong Island should be left alone for now--at least with respect to WTB contenders. More midrises to further balance the skyline would be great.

But the future is Kowloon.
Oh man Kowloon. I find it a threat to HK's skyline especially for those who appreciate the traditional HK Island skyline such as myself. :)

Unless The Bionic Tower will be built then I doubt HK will build a scraper taller than The ICC.

·
POUND THE ALARM!!!
397 Posts
I believe future skyscrapers in HK will exceed ICC, but location will be away from central or areas close to it... Also Kowloon will have a lower chance due to height restrictions in the area!!! So maybe suburban supertalls (eg. Nina-Style towers) will appear on the various suburban centers as the centerpoint of the sub-city!!!

Yes!!! I haven't been here for a long time!!! It is due to my studies... Need to study hard or else Cannot enter University!!!

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Since ICC, the whole Union Square complex, Harbourfront Landmark, etc. are all in Kowloon, I would believe the height restrictions are quite....high.

If Kowloon does develop into Hong Kong's biggest skyline, I personally wouldn't mind. It will be very different from Hong Kong Island, two different experiences on the two sides of the harbour.

·
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...
1,529 Posts
height restrictions are lifted, or at least much relaxed, after the airport move... in affluent areas like Kowloon Tong there're still some strong opposition to taller buildings, but generally the entire Kowloon is rising up..

I share your fear Wanch... I feel like it's gonna b like Tokyo (pre-West Shinjuku) or NYC... where the skyline has become so huge and spread out there's no more one recognizable front or center...

coz u know once Kowloon gets built up then pictures are gonna start behind taking on the Kowloon mountains, with the HK island skyline in the far distance... either that or 2 distinct skylines, on opposite sides of the habor...

·
17,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
spicytimothy said:
height restrictions are lifted, or at least much relaxed, after the airport move... in affluent areas like Kowloon Tong there're still some strong opposition to taller buildings, but generally the entire Kowloon is rising up..

I share your fear Wanch... I feel like it's gonna b like Tokyo (pre-West Shinjuku) or NYC... where the skyline has become so huge and spread out there's no more one recognizable front or center...

coz u know once Kowloon gets built up then pictures are gonna start behind taking on the Kowloon mountains, with the HK island skyline in the far distance... either that or 2 distinct skylines, on opposite sides of the habor...
I'm not making a big deal out of it but I this is the kind of panorama that I would like to see in tour / picture books of HK.

not this

1 - 20 of 32 Posts