Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am not just talking about future migration. What I really want to know is if miami's current population will rise as a result of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants living in the US? Considering how miami already has the biggest hispanic population by percentage. I can imagine that when the new numbers come in miami's population will show to have an even bigger population than what it has now. Out of all those 12 million undocumented immigrants i assume a big slice of those 12 million are living here in miami. I might be wrong ofcourse, but just how much of a population increase would it be? I was just really curiiouse. I remember reading an article a few weeks back posted here on this forum and it said that miami's population numbers were actually way higher and that the numbers presented by the census was the most undercounted in the whole country and we could have an estimated 150,000 more people living in miami city proper than what the numbers show. Now with these new immigrants counted for I can only imagine what miami's true population numbers are.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Out of all those 12 million undocumented immigrants i assume a big slice of those 12 million are living here in miami.
With all due respect, the big slice is in California, Texas, New Mexico (literally now), and Arizona.

I read somewhere there are 6 million Mexicans (legal and illegal) in greater Los Angeles.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
With all due respect, the big slice is in California, Texas, New Mexico (literally now), and Arizona.

I read somewhere there are 6 million Mexicans (legal and illegal) in greater Los Angeles.
Correct. Miami would see a population gain, definitely (what big city wouldn't?) but the population gains in cities like Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc. would be far larger.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Is it just me or has their been a drastic drop off in Cuban and Haitian immigrants into Miami in the past 5 years as compared to the waves from the 60's through the 90's? Although if Castro dies the rush might occur once again, who knows.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Miamis illegal population isnt as large as other heavy latin cities, during those illegal marchings miami had a small turnout but none the less Miami will see a considerable amount of new legal residents.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We might not have the biggest mexican population (39,000 out of 1.7 million hispanics in miami dade country) but are south american and caribbean population is huge. With miami being labeled as the gateway of the americas, and it growing to world city prominence, and finally getting some well deserve credit , I just think we might see one of the biggest gaines out of all those major cities. Our mexican and central american population numbers might not be so big, like the west coast cities but are overall we have a decent population of every other latin country lol. You know what I did wonder why so many few people turned out for the immigration march. I guess living in a place where 51 percent of the people are foriegn born you don't run the risk of getting deported as easily. As an hispanic born here son of immigrants I can tell you we have it easy down here compared to anywhere else really.

·
Registered
411 Posts
With miami being labeled as the gateway of the americas, and it growing to world city prominence, and finally getting some well deserve credit , I just think we might see one of the biggest gaines out of all those major cities.
All the things you mentioned have nothing to do with your initial theory. Miami will see an increase, sure, but not as much as cities in California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. This is very apparent and obvious to most people.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unfortunately,
I have students that have been sent back to their country. These are good students who are being productive and want to succeed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't forget, its 12 million, plus their immediate families. The current estimate is approximately 20 million for amnesty in total.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The Bureau of the Census when it conducts the decennial census does not distinguish the legal residency status of the persons counted. All the illegal population was counted in the 2000 census. The proposed legislation will not change the current population counts significantly.

I was an enumerator during the 2000 census and we spent considerable efforts to locate and count all the persons living in the US.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
the census only counts those who let themselves be counted

how off are they in numbers? example most hispanic inmates in prison are counted as white while black hispanics are counted as hispanic... making the prison count look more like its 33% for white 33% black 33% hispanic... reality is amount of white inmates is usually around 6-10% because they get a slap on the wrist in most cases...

CENSUS IN ALL ACTUALITY SUCKS ASS... THERE NUMBERS ARE OFF AND I WOULD SAY ABOUT 25 PERCENT OF THE POPULATION DOESNT GET COUNTED.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I believe that according to most anyones statistics, Miami is the city with the highest amount of foreign born citizens in the world. I heard someone say 51% but I thought I heard the figure a while back was closer to 71%.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Census bureau includes illlegals in it's counts and estimates. Remember, they use school enrollment and alot of other variables when enumerating their counts. Anyway, there is no way in hell this immigration Bill will get passed, from what I have been hearing and reading. Besides, does anyone hear really have it in their opinion that Miami doesn't have enough people. It's wall to wall man from the sea to the everglades and the natural increase along with modest legal immigration is plenty to keep Miami building up, up and UP.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Gringo Miami is the city with the biggest Foreign born citizens with a percentage of 51% but I dont think they count the illegals, by the way Toronto was the second city on that ranking followed by LA.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
NOTHING IS ACCURATE TO THE 1% UNLESS ITS DONE BY COMPUTERS
YOU BELIEVE THAT EVERY PERSON OPENED THERE DOORS TO ANSWER THAT SURVEY?
I CAN TELL YOU FOR A FACT I WAS NOT ACCOUNTED FOR AND IM SURE YOU WILL SOON FIND OUT THAT MANY ON HERE WHERENT IN THE COUNTED AND IF YOU TAKE A SURVEY YOU WILL FIND OUT THAT THE PERCENTAGE MIGHT BE A BIT HIGH EVEN ON THIS FORUM OF THE ONES THAT WHERENT COUNTED...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Gringo Miami is the city with the biggest Foreign born citizens with a percentage of 51% but I dont think they count the illegals, by the way Toronto was the second city on that ranking followed by LA.
The Bureau of the Census definitely counts Illegals.

·
Registered
499 Posts
NOTHING IS ACCURATE TO THE 1% UNLESS ITS DONE BY COMPUTERS
YOU BELIEVE THAT EVERY PERSON OPENED THERE DOORS TO ANSWER THAT SURVEY?
I CAN TELL YOU FOR A FACT I WAS NOT ACCOUNTED FOR AND IM SURE YOU WILL SOON FIND OUT THAT MANY ON HERE WHERENT IN THE COUNTED AND IF YOU TAKE A SURVEY YOU WILL FIND OUT THAT THE PERCENTAGE MIGHT BE A BIT HIGH EVEN ON THIS FORUM OF THE ONES THAT WHERENT COUNTED...
I know that you don't want to believe it, but I was assigned over 100 addresses in the 2000 Census and I had only one absolute refusal and two of my friends did not have any refusals. People do actually answer the basic questions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts