SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:cheers: [Coffee in mug]

I feel this will never happen without a generation or two of different planning. In 20 years I imagine more of a Houston, TX with better waterfront. It good to see some growth concentrated in the downtown areas but unless they spread out the dense areas in to little pockets it will forever have a limited identity and Miami and Orlando will soar past it twice as fast.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Economically? Miami is essentially the capitol of the Caribbean and Latin America, we'll never beat Miami economically though we may get some spill over eventually, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Culturally? This is subjective. I would argue that Tampa has the most defined cultural identity of any city in Florida. It makes sense as Tampa has been developing an identity through its immigrants for over 100 years where as everything that Miami is known for today is essentially the same as what you would find on mainland Cuba.

Let me be clear, this is not me shitting on Miami, I love Miami, but Miami simply hasn't been cultivating a specific, distinct, and unified culture for over 100 years like Tampa has.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
No, if anything Orlando will surpass Tampa. Miami is in a league of it's own.
But who knows - in 50 years anything could happen.
Orlando and Tampa are so close to each other that they will always have a symbiotic relationship which means one city will never really explode passed the other.

·
Mr. Justice
479 Posts
No. But it has the opportunity to be a different touch than Miami. I don't know how global 'Tampa' is to Miami or Orlando but Tampa has the freedom to do what it wants.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
^^I."Likes"this.Members"Tampa.On.The.Move,.Great.Remarks.:cheers1:if.you,know,me,I'm,63,andLove,spilling,Coffee.on.my.new.Windows11,Keyboard,NO.BLANKS.:hilarious:
Yes,all.3.Combined.Cities,Not,even,close,maybe,add,Jacksonville,and.West,Palm,Beach,Ft.Lauderdale.Sarasota,Fort.Myers.and.Daytona,Beach,maybe,in,15,years,;But,MIAMI,is,starting,Late.this,Year,2018.on.at,least,2.SUPERTALL"s.over,1,049.Feet.from.SEA.Level,and.already.has,4.Towers,already,under,construction,to,go,Over,645.Feet.Each,Nuts,and.Crazy,
Love.all.You,Great.Tampa.Bay.Memebers,and.Of.Course,Jasonhouse,and.FloridaFuture,:cheers:
I.know,you,all,been,waitting,to,hear,from,your,Pal,:Chuck>Here.I.am.:nuts:,
Yes,Nuts,Like.Jasonhouse.:master:,knows,Me,very,well,"Just.a>little.Excited,"Member,,Thanks,Jason,:),none.of.my.business.but.did.you.get.married.to,your,longtime.girlfriend,Yet.??,Don't.answer,I.will,delete.this.Note,:lol:and.at.63.I'm.finally,here,Retired.in.Spring.Hill.off,the.Toll.SunCoast,Parkway,:cheers1:
No but Miami's in a league of its own but a combination of Tampa Orlando and St Pete is going to be the next great megalopolis of the United States .

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think you are being optimistic here, but that depends on what you mean by megalopolis.
Depending on how it's classified, Pinellas to Voulsia encompasses over 6 million residents which could be higher if you add a few counties north or south. With the exception of a few interior counties, you could drive the entire distance through incorporated, albeit, sprawled areas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:cheers: [Coffee in mug]

I feel this will never happen without a generation or two of different planning. In 20 years I imagine more of a Houston, TX with better waterfront. It good to see some growth concentrated in the downtown areas but unless they spread out the dense areas in to little pockets it will forever have a limited identity and Miami and Orlando will soar past it twice as fast.
This is not likely at all as beautiful as Tampa is.
Miami is by far the largest urban center in Florida and has the 3rd densest skyline in the United States after New York City and Chicago (not to be confused with population density where it rankes 6th). As a matter of fact, Miami will soon be giving Chicago a run for its money with all the current projects it has including many super-talls. Even Houston would be far fetched since Houston ranks 4th.

As far as economically and culturally, Miami has too much going for it and has for decades now (international trade, television, film, music, tourism, banks). It is a melting pot of sorts given the large Latin American influence and heritage, not only Cuban, but Venezuelan, Brazilian, Colombian just to name a few.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts