SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an era where the powerhouses of college football and increasing the size and amenities of their football stadiums. Michigan's Big House is challenged in size by Ohio State, Penn State, Texas, and probably at least half of the SEC.

Skyboxes are going in everywhere. The stadium has become a huge part of "the program's" success.

In LA, with the Colleseum ajacent to campus and the chance of the NFL ever using it for a new LA NFL franchise non-exsitent, USC is probably in a good postion to control and augment a stadium that it doesn't even own.

But what about UCLA? The Bruins have always been a competive football program on the west coast. They certainly were able to forge their own identity by leaving the Trojans and the Colleseum to Pasadena, but the Rose Bowl is still a world away from campus.

Can UCLA continue to be a success in football in a stadium it does not control and one far removed from campus. Would football fans in Berekely, Palo Alto, Seattle, or Tuscon put up with a trip to a football game the way that those in Westwood do?

Somewhere in those hills above Sunset, you would think a UCLA bowl could be dug out and serve the Bruins far better than the Colloseum.

·
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...
1,529 Posts
I thought the Rose Bowl's ours..

in any case, in a city where Beverly Hills can single-handedly influence the (de)construction of half a subway line, u think "somewhere in those hills above Sunset" a stadium would be built? lol u must b dreaming.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spicytimothy said:
I thought the Rose Bowl's ours..

in any case, in a city where Beverly Hills can single-handedly influence the (de)construction of half a subway line, u think "somewhere in those hills above Sunset" a stadium would be built? lol u must b dreaming.
Damn! No Mullholland Stadium...or the Field of Bel Air!!!!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ C'mon now....... A Football Stadium in those neighborhoods, yea right!!!!

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, ok, shoot me....i'll take south of wilshire or other locations (suspended above the SD Fwy if you like)....forget the Hollywood Hills and tell me: will UCLA ever have an on campus stadium?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
never. there is no room at all, all the hillsides are protected, the homeowners would never allow it, traffic would be horrible, etc etc etc. The only way is that half the campus is torn down, built up as highrises and a stadium is built on the UCLA campus, and that would never happen either.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The only potential location for a UCLA football stadium with any decent proximity to the school would be at the VA. There is so much under utilized space there its ridiculous. The only issue with a stadium on the Westside is the amount of traffic that it would cause on game days. I think there would be too much NIMBYism to every really think a football stadium may go up anywhere near the UCLA campus.

·
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...
1,529 Posts
solongfullerton said:
The only potential location for a UCLA football stadium with any decent proximity to the school would be at the VA. There is so much under utilized space there its ridiculous. The only issue with a stadium on the Westside is the amount of traffic that it would cause on game days. I think there would be too much NIMBYism to every really think a football stadium may go up anywhere near the UCLA campus.
seriously VA is a waste of space.... the Veterans are not using NEARLY as much of the land they own as they need... the Army has actually just openned bidding for 10 acres or so... and all the local politicians and residents are already lined up against it :-/

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will you guys at least answer this:

has the lack of an on campus stadium (or adjacent one as in the case of SC) hurt UCLA in its relationship with Cal, Stanford, SC, UW, ASU, etc?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts