SkyscraperCity banner

Will you still visit Uluru even after the climb is banned?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Since the news came out in 2017 that climbing Uluru will be banned effective this October (as of July, that will be within the next three months), there has been a rush of visitors coming with the express purpose of climbing the Rock before the ban comes into effect.

Once the ban is in effect, will you still visit Uluru, or will you just avoid it from that time onward?

·
Registered
426 Posts
It will severely affect foreign interest, there will definately be a drop in visitors.

There is nothing gained in terms of visitation and revenue by the ban, but plenty to lose because of it.

BTW I have climbed it. It was a good cardio workout.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Meh I'm still going. It's like the Longreach Qantas museum, if they ban people going inside the plane I'm still going. Can't have everything but if it's there to be visited I'm there.

·
Environmental Busybody
9,308 Posts
No, why be an arse. Or, if you're going to be an arse, make it about something important. But I've never gotten the 'it's there so I just have to climb it' thing either.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I climbed it back in the early 90's but would not climb now. Most certainly would like to visit it again. The place has an aura about it.

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
The Rock is beyond human ownership. Any living Aboriginal hasn't or probably only been here as long as me. Our cultures and history go back to the same place so a varied background where people moved and settled across the continents then across oceans has been a natural occurrence since ancient times. Are we going to say they have been here longer so it belongs to them ? What does that say about all the immigrants that came to Australia after WW2...are they less Australian than me ? Across the world magnificent natural wonders have attracted people to see and climb. The PC mob bend too far to ideology in all its forms.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Rock is beyond human ownership. Any living Aboriginal hasn't or probably only been here as long as me. Our cultures and history go back to the same place so a varied background where people moved and settled across the continents then across oceans has been a natural occurrence since ancient times. Are we going to say they have been here longer so it belongs to them ? What does that say about all the immigrants that came to Australia after WW2...are they less Australian than me ? Across the world magnificent natural wonders have attracted people to see and climb. The PC mob bend too far to ideology in all its forms.
rock climbing in the grampians has now been banned as well

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,479 Posts
It's a rock.

It's not a cathedral or temple, it's a rock.

Why should someone get to impose their cultural beliefs on me because they think it's 'their' rock?

You don't want to climb, don't climb, but don’t force others not to.

If some aliens came down from space they'd think we're nutbars banning each other from climbing a natural geological feature of the planet.

I climbed it, that's like 95% of the attraction. Nice views.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It's a rock.

It's not a cathedral or temple, it's a rock.

Why should someone get to impose their cultural beliefs on me because they think it's 'their' rock?

You don't want to climb, don't climb, but don’t force others not to.

If some aliens came down from space they'd think we're nutbars banning each other from climbing a natural geological feature of the planet.

I climbed it, that's like 95% of the attraction. Nice views.
Indigenous people think it is more than a rock. It is a sacred place to them and is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Respect for cultural beliefs is imposed in many places and times change so showing a bit of respect will not hurt us. These days tourists can't walk freely around Stonehenge. There is now a restriction climbing Wyoming’s Devils Tower National Monument. Native American cultural concerns also led to complete climbing closures at Cave Rock at Lake Tahoe, Monument Valley, Shiprock and Canyon de Chelly

·
Registered
Tremendous
8,483 Posts
If it is for environmental or preservation reasons then no problem but if it is because of a belief system well that’s bullshit. There are lots of different belief systems out the and no one can claim ownership over nature. It should be shared as much as possible and as best as possible.

BTW Stonehenge can’t be a comparison because it’s not natural. It’s protected for preservation reasons.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If it is for environmental or preservation reasons then no problem but if it is because of a belief system well that’s bullshit. There are lots of different belief systems out the and no one can claim ownership over nature. It should be shared as much as possible and as best as possible.

BTW Stonehenge can’t be a comparison because it’s not natural. It’s protected for preservation reasons.
I would expect nothing less but contempt and a lack of respect from you Ryan.

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
Just watched YouTube of the best National Parks in North America...people climbing all over them...Aboriginals alive now are caught up in political diatribe...ignore them, save a few bucks and go see what the world has to offer...

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,479 Posts
Indigenous people think it is more than a rock. It is a sacred place to them and is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Respect for cultural beliefs is imposed in many places and times change so showing a bit of respect will not hurt us. These days tourists can't walk freely around Stonehenge. There is now a restriction climbing Wyoming’s Devils Tower National Monument. Native American cultural concerns also led to complete climbing closures at Cave Rock at Lake Tahoe, Monument Valley, Shiprock and Canyon de Chelly
I don't have an issue with being generally respectful to others, even if they have different beliefs, but issue here is that that should be a choice, not something which is mandated by law.

You say it doesn't 'hurt us'- but it does, it restricts our right to visit a part of Australia on the basis of culture/religion.

I think it's a shame because it's an interesting climb that a lot of people will miss out on now.

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,479 Posts
What was the most interesting part of it Locke?
The climb up, the view, the terrain of the summit - it's a 348m high view of the centre of Australia at the end of the day - nature's own observation deck.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don't have an issue with being generally respectful to others, even if they have different beliefs, but issue here is that that should be a choice, not something which is mandated by law.

You say it doesn't 'hurt us'- but it does, it restricts our right to visit a part of Australia on the basis of culture/religion.

I think it's a shame because it's an interesting climb that a lot of people will miss out on now.
Actually - I'll ignore the ban......I'll climb it if I want to

1 - 20 of 55 Posts