SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
DJ Michael
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me Corporate wise, Wilmington. It has more companies and alot better business laws. Although it is only 30miles from Philadelphia it doesn't have as much competition as Stamford does both NewYork City and Hartford.

Retail wise, currently Stamford- Stamford has much more in the way of retail and retaurants to me and has a better "after 5" vibe. I say currently Stamford because I believe that Wilmington has a extremely good chance at becoming the "IT" place in Northern DE.

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
Wilmington because it is closer to Salisbury MD.

·
1,944 Posts
because I like Salisbury's retail mix... and if I lived in Wilmington, I could get to Salisbury much quicker than if I lived in Stamford

·
1,944 Posts
I haven't been to New England in over a decade, so I really don't know what Stamford is like. Wilmington's retail is nothing special, though, so it wouldn't take too much to be bettern than it.
The first Best Buy I was ever in was in suburban Wilmington.

·
DJ Michael
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
because I like Salisbury's retail mix... and if I lived in Wilmington, I could get to Salisbury much quicker than if I lived in Stamford
O ok still, i guess its just me but personally i dont like Salisbury, but I see what you mean about the retail mix.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
as someone who's been to both, I would say stamford for retail, but wilmington for dense neighborhoods. it would have been a close to a tie if Stamford didn't get rid of all that housing they could have rehabbed around the docks/waterfront. They both have proximity to major cities, but Wil is closer to Phila than Stamford is to NYC.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
Stamford is OK when it comes to retail, but White Plains is better.

I haven't been to Wilmington before for me to compare.
Man its funny you bring that up, There's always been somewhat of a connection between Stamford and White Plains. I was born there and I have alot of family still in WP, The amount of retail keeps growing and the neigbhorhoods are just getting too expensive. Back in the day like 15 years ago it was real chill.

·
Stamford CT 4 Life
432 Posts
I'm from Stamford, and i will tell you myself, there really isn't much of anything here. Yeah there is some retail but White Plains has us beat. For one thing the Stamford Town Center (mall) sucks and is not as great as advertised, which is why they are losing shoppers to other nearby malls. In the downtown area is ok, but really nothing special. There are bars and restaraunts but there isn't any nightlife in Stamford. Idk what wilmington is like, but from the looks of the pictures it seems wilmington is a pretty active place. There is no entertainment here at all. All you can do is go to a movie, and restaraunt, thats about it. Most of the entertainment isn't for young people really....its for the "professionals", not for everyone to enjoy.

And not to mention Downtown Stamford isn't that big really, its a really small area...you can literally walk through downtown in like 3 minutes which is one thing i hate about Stamford, i wish it was a bit bigger and not as tight as it is...idk if wilmington Downtown is bigger or not, but it seems like a nice spacious area.

Stamford neighborhoods are diverse ( even though gentrification is seeping in everywhere) some neighborhoods are like their own little village ( glenbrook, springdale).

And yes there is connection between Stamford and WP, because WP is their main competition. It isn't Bridgeport, Norwalk, New Rochelle.....it's White Plains. White Plains has the food, entertainment, retail and is attracting people from up north to come down there, so they pose a serious threat to Stamford, because White Plains continues to grow. But i agree White Plains is expensive and so is Stamford ( albeit Stamford costs more though)

But idk what Wilmington is like so i can't really say much about it, but i do know what stamford's like. It's a nice place to live to be an adult and raise a family, but if you are young and want to have a good time Stamford is not the place to be honestly ( i've heard soooooo many young people confirm this, so before anybody comes and says otherwise, i advise you to ask any youth in Stamford and they will tell you the same thing).

I dont have much info on Wilmington, so obviously the facts are one sided, so i'm gonna have to go with My city, Stamford...until i have further info from wilmington so i can compare the two evenly.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Neither one appeals to me. 95 rips right through the heart of both.

Wilmington has some beautiful housing but is near some really awful industry.

·
DJ Michael
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stamford's downtown is small but I don't think that Wilmington's is too much bigger though.

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
182 Posts
I'm from Stamford, and i will tell you myself, there really isn't much of anything here. Yeah there is some retail but White Plains has us beat. For one thing the Stamford Town Center (mall) sucks and is not as great as advertised, which is why they are losing shoppers to other nearby malls. In the downtown area is ok, but really nothing special. There are bars and restaraunts but there isn't any nightlife in Stamford. Idk what wilmington is like, but from the looks of the pictures it seems wilmington is a pretty active place. There is no entertainment here at all. All you can do is go to a movie, and restaraunt, thats about it. Most of the entertainment isn't for young people really....its for the "professionals", not for everyone to enjoy.
What do you mean "there really isn't much of anything here?" It all depends on what a person wants and is looking for, for an area to completely satisfy them. Stamford is a very wealthy and safe city in an amazing location with so much positives--it has a fantastic quality of life. If you are 14, you probably hate Stamford. But if you are 14, you probably hate anywhere you live: I know a lot of 14 year olds. Kids think "everything is cooler and there's nothing to do." That's par for the course for a teenager. As for "young people" in their 20s and 30s, I think there's a ton to do.
To me it's all about what an individual makes of an area, no matter where they live.

·
Stamford CT 4 Life
432 Posts
@ JJ

I know its how you take advantage of an area, but honestly, there isn't alot to do in Stamford. And don't try to say its the 14 year olds, its the teens, early 20's late 20's crowd who really dont have much to do. You should know that. And i wonder how old you are, because i'm 21 and besides going to the movies and maybe a restaraunt there isnt much.

NO i don't go to the palace theatre or the rich forum ( i know you probably gonna bring that up). Neither does the young people in this city. I'm not sayin i hate stamford, or that i'm not appreciative, but to be honest there isnt nothin here for us younger folks, its only for those who are rich or have some sort of money. No Stamford isn't NYC and doesnt have a population of over 250K or anything, but they need some entertainment downtown soon, because its not that much.

And JJ for you to say there is so much downtown, then i guess you don't notice that Young people are leaving CT in DROVES. Go ahead and ask any kid, they can tell you they dont have much to do with themselves because there isn't much but a little bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.