Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ouch
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored this afternoon watching that wedding before the National started so I went out and took some pics of a folly that is about 10 miles north of me. This is Horton Tower, built in 1722.

I took these others of Mow Cop near Congleton in Cheshire last summer when I was up there. It was built in 1750.

·
Ouch
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I'd start a thread about some of our more unusual buildings that dot the landscape.

The Post Mill at Outwood, Surrey.

Lowfield Heath Postmill, Surrey. This used to stand next to Gatwick Airport but was moved in 1989 to Charlwood a few miles west when the airport was extended.

Jill Postmill at Clayton Sussex, a Towermill, Jack can be seen behind the trees

Jack

Jill on her own.

The Smockmill at West Blatchington in Brighton, Sussex.

I can't remember the exact location of this mill but I know it's somewhere between Stratford upon Avon and Birmingham

Horton Tower in Dorset, about 10 miles north of Wimborne it was apparently built by a local landowner to watch deer.

Mow Cop Sham Castle in Cheshire.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Ooooh! Great thread and pictures! I'll see what I can find.

I bet wind turbines are out of the question... :shifty:

·
Ouch
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't mind turbines, they are essentially a modern day windmill after all.

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Green Mill in Sneinton, Nottingham. It still produces flour to this day and is a popular tourist attraction.

The Inside.

View from the top looking out over Sneinton.

Looking towards to castle and part of the Lace Market.

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,506 Posts
This might have been a windmill, might have been a kiln

This 300ft chimney isn't quite a folly but its all thats left of an industrial area

·
DAMNED
1,922 Posts
Some from the South West.

Hardy's Monument

Clavell Tower

Alfred's Tower

Cabot Tower

Nelson's Tower

And the fantastically named Curry Rivel

·
New Nottingham!
11,920 Posts
Hucknall Brickworks in Nottingham. The site was closed down a long time ago and has been left to rot basically. I remember being able to see these from my auntie and uncles back garden and they've always interested me.
You occasionally see the odd puff of smoke coming out of the chimneys mainly from yobs lighting fires.

Work in full swing.

·
Ouch
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats the biggest folly I have ever seen.
The tallest folly in the country is in Halifax and is 274 feet tall. There's also a folly at Sway in Hampshire which is 218 feet high.

Can a mod merge this thread with the other one on follies. I'd forgotten I'd made this one.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
I just love the name of this:

The Cage...

...at Lyme Park in Cheshire. I don't think the tower is actually as sinister as the name suggests.

A nice place to visit though by the way. :yes:

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
I'm a water mills man too. Cant get enough of those chalk figures on the hills of Wiltshire aswell. Dont like pylons, they can go **** themselves.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
My grandad is originally from round that area and I've visited it a couple of times. There's a big stately home along with that tower within the grounds but I'm not actually sure what it was used for, but as I said it isn't as sinister as the name "The Cage" suggests, as in that people didn't get locked in there!

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Well, you never know what actually went on in there. :|

I reckon these were the predecessor to our friend the tower block. :yes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts