SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my county has recently been going through the battle over windmill constrution. With fairly high wind speeds and elevations ranging from 900 to 4,000 feet, it didn't take long for Windmill companies to start the long process of planing for construction. The companies first went to private landowners, without any county consent, and started offering large sums of money that made it very hard to refuse. The board of supervisors finally got wind of this, and imposed a county-wide ban of constrution of any structures over 100 feet, except for cell phone towers. This was put in our local paper, and caused quite an uproar. A new, now nationally known orginazation called SOARS (save our Appalahian Ridges) was formed, and the windmill companies came under harsh scrutiny. I was wondering what your opinions are on this subject.

Some quick info-
Patrick County VA, Population-20,000
Stuart va- 1,200
Windmill height-400 feet
Noise-moderate
Employment-2-3
Benfit- Power to be used in Tennesse only

Photos of proposed areas-

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well, obviously that is not an issue in urban areas, but, I see no issue with windmills, as long as they don't "clutter," the landscape. They are attractive and serve a purpose.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
I always think of aliens when I get near them for some reason. They are very futuristic and I like to watch them. I am all for them but not near homes or a city.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Nice area you live in BTW!

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
I think they are great sources of energy and thats all there is to it. Some may not like the look, but they are not THAT bad, and won't be all over the freaking Mountain range. Its high time the Appalchian region tapped into windmill technology.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your opinion changes slightly if you live in the proposed area...at least it did for me...although, I still wouldn't mind having them.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here's a photo for reference-

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I've seen a few of those on a mountaintop in Vermont, near Bennington (SW part of the state). Also somebody who wants to build them on the Lake Erie shore. Don't know what I think of them though, haven't read into them too much. I've heard concerns relating to birds, noise, and their effect on winds. As a renewable source of energy though, face it, wind isn't going away, might as well take advatage of it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Windmills belong in ugly places people don't want to be. Several miles out at sea, in the tundra, in an empty prarie, or in the desert. Why waste a pristine habitat when there are better spots?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts