·
Entrepreneur
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WINDSOR, England

County: Berkshire
Population
- City: 38,324

On October 8th this year, I visited the town of Windsor.

Famous for Windsor Castle, this town is situated in an affluent area of the country in Berkshire, not far from London to the east and Reading to the northwest. Windsor and the surrounding areas contain some of the most expensive and desirable housing in the UK. HM Queen Elizabeth II and other Royal Family members reside here from time to time. Historically, following the construction of the castle, Windsor became a pilgrimage destination for many Londoners and was second in importance after Canterbury. The development of the town stagnated somehwat during the Tudor and Stuart period, most notably during the Parlimentarian rule of the town during the English Civil War. However, this changed during the Georgian period. Windsor had been called 'New Windsor', separating itself from the older village of 'Old Windsor' which retains its name today, and was renamed 'Windsor' in 1974.

Nowadays Windsor is a popular tourist destination, most notably for the castle but also for boat rides on the River Thames which separates Windsor from neighbouring Eton (famous for its college). With good rail links to London Paddington and Waterloo as well as bus routes, it's easy to get too and shopping opportunities have also increased during the last 10 years.

See what you make of it. :)

·
Entrepreneur
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive never been as an adult, but it looks great.
Nice photos. A place I've never visited. Shame, it looks lovely.
Yes, Windsor is a beautiful place - a quiet gem only miles away from the noisy Heathrow Airport lol. It's well worth a visit, not only for the castle but for the town itself. :)

It doesn't seem fair that England has so many beautiful towns and villages.
Hehe, though pretty much all countries around Europe are spoilt with beautiful towns and villages, just with their own architectural style. I for one love the towns and villages and of course larger cities of the Netherlands. :)

·
ONE WORLD
9,172 Posts
thnx, Windsor's my hometown - I was brought up there, and have been scouring the pics for anyone I know.

btw those grand old buildings with the roofs are all being demolished, including the Tudor style one, to be replaced by another flat topped box, with big plate glass windows. the department store, Daniels, claims it will close if it doesn't 'modernise' the outside.

·
Entrepreneur
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By-the-way Bristol Mike, how is that Lumix working for you?
Hehe, very nicely thank you. Do you like the pics? :)

thnx, Windsor's my hometown - I was brought up there, and have been scouring the pics for anyone I know.

btw those grand old buildings with the roofs are all being demolished, including the Tudor style one, to be replaced by another flat topped box, with big plate glass windows. the department store, Daniels, claims it will close if it doesn't 'modernise' the outside.

No problem, glad to bring back memories. Though this news is horrible! What's wrong with modernising what's already there? Those development plans looks great but not on Windsor High Street. Something's wrong there. :eek:hno: The High Street was looking lovely when I was there. :)

·
Entrepreneur
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
onr charming English town.
hoping for some interior shots of the castle.
Thanks! Unfortunately I didn't go into the castle on this occasion, I think I'll do that some other time. The pictures will appear in here though when I've been inside. :)

I am thinking about buying the same camera.
Ah okay. Well the camera is brilliant. It's handle-friendly and easy to use. The pictures are great and (touch wood) I haven't had any major problems in the 2.5 years I've had it. :)

Amazing and very nice photos and views from Windsor, Mike; many thanks :cheers:
Thanks mate, any time! :)

·
Entrepreneur
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
COYS
1,747 Posts
You've captured lots of energy in these pics. Windsor is somewhere I'd love to get around to visiting. Will have to go sometime soon. There is a subtle French or German element in a few of the pics.

G

·
I loved Windsor and you have just reminded why - thanks Mike :colgate: Fannytastic photography.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.