Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City population soaring

Windsor area third-fastest growing region in country, StatsCan says

By Grace Macaluso
The Windsor Star
May 13, 2006

The Windsor area is among the fastest-growing regions in Canada, just behind Calgary and Toronto, Douglas Newson, director of Central Region at Statistics Canada, said Friday.
The Windsor CMA’s growth rate between 2001 and 2006 is projected to exceed eight per cent, Newson said.
“The Windsor CMA — which includes LaSalle, Tecumseh, Lakeshore and Amherstburg — grew by more than seven per cent compared to four per cent for Canada and 6.1 per cent for Ontario between 1996 and 2001 to 308,000,” said Newson, who was in the city to promote the 2006 Census.
And the city itself also expanded its population by more than five per cent, said Newson.

“Windsor is a fascinating city for its size; the core continues to grow at a rapid rate” — primarily through immigration.
Windsor is also a relatively young city with a median age of 36 compared to 37.2 for Ontario and 37.6 for Canada.
Newson is on a tour designed to encourage Canadians to fill out their census forms. “Governments at all levels use census data to make policy decisions regarding our economic and social programs,” he said.

Surveys have been mailed to 12.7 million households across Canada, said Newson. Four of five households received a short survey, while one in five received a longer questionnaire.
The deadline for mailing it in is May 16 — and those who fail to do so could face legal penalties, such as three months in jail or a fine of up to $500, said Newson.
This is the first time residents will be able to fill out the census online: www.census2006.ca.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
^ all I can say is YAY! Even though there are higher Canadian dollars, and a bit of troubles in the auto industry, things sound bright for Windsor.

But, sadly, I can only wish the same thing were happening across the river in Detroit.

It's also, in the first half of the 21st century supposed to lead Ontario in city growth! :) Also the INFAMOUS Golden Horseshoe (BOO!), Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and Vancouver will be leaders in Canadian city growth.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ ah, yes, but perhaps TOO FAST. :) I remember when I was a little kid and the Toronto and area was a lot nicer and more peaceful and was smaller in the 1980s and early 1990s, my how things have changed and those days are gone. I've never been to Calgary, so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
that happens to every city when it turns big. More people= more people that are classified as "messed up".

I bet if Windsor had a million or two million people it would not be like it is today.

About Calgary, they have lots of room so they can grow out still, but really how far do you want to live from downtown??

·
bugmenot.com
77 Posts
The saddest thing about Calgary and Toronto growth is how it's eating up good farmland at the edges. Some of the best farmland in Canada also happens to be near our fastest growing cities (look at Vancouver and the Fraser Valley fruit orchards). And Windsor is also a good example -- the best tomato soil/climate combination in Canada, maybe even North America. So if Windsor really does take off and grow more in the suburbs, those tomato farms are going to disappear. Do we want that? Do we want to some day have to buy all our food from foreign markets?

·
261 Posts
^ Sure as hell isn't the job market. The weird thing about this is that the job market is stagnant but the population keeps growing, mainly through immigration. Windsor's mayor blamed the huge amounts of people moving to Windsor for our high unemployment rate (it's one of the highest in Canada).

Bugmenorl said:
So if Windsor really does take off and grow more in the suburbs, those tomato farms are going to disappear. Do we want that? Do we want to some day have to buy all our food from foreign markets?
I personally don't want Windsor to grow to become a huge city. It's just fine the size it is now. You're right about the farmland...the problem with Windsor is it's the only large Ontario city that wasn't forced to annex its suburbs. There is very little land actually left in the city limits. This new growth is happening in the small towns surrounding the city and Windsor itself can't control it at all. We need a regional planning policy or a regional greenbelt to make sure things don't get out of hand. However, Windsor and its suburbs have historically had a rocky relationship so any regional cooperation seems unlikely.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If Windsor grows into a big city, traffic would increase, which could result in the 401 being extended to the planned new border crossing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts