• Private sector - $105 million
First national museum outside of Ottawa

Architect -Antoine Predock
Master-Exhibit Plan - Ralph Appelbaum Associates
more info here

Rendering

More images here

Feb 20 2009
wells are being drilled and along the perimeter of the site fencing is being installed and some other random site prep (site was a gravel surface lot)

·
17,174 Posts
Awesome design! Are there any more renders?

·
41,707 Posts
Great news for Winnipeg. If I may use a Canadian expression, I was skeptical that this would 'get passed first base'. Winnipeg seems to be a city that gets things done. The new stadium, the Manitoba Hydro building, and now this project clearly indicate this city's intention to invest in its future.

This used to be Canada's 3rd biggest city not too long ago. It's good to see Winnipeg still has heaps of ambition and drive. I'm impressed.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is also don't forget about the footbridge we built also u mean baseball stadium and them mts center then hydro?

yes theres more images if u go to the first post click on more images here

·
41,707 Posts
it is also don't forget about the footbridge we built also u mean baseball stadium and them mts center then hydro?
I was inferring that I didn't think the museum would get built when I said 'get passed first base'.

Losing the NHL team, being surpassed by Edmonton and Calgary, the decades of slow population growth, etc. caused many people to write Winnipeg off. Winnipeg may be smaller than a lot of other cities, but it still feels and acts like a big city in many ways.

Buildings like the Manitoba Legislature and the Exchange District point to Winnipeg's prominent past. That new bridge and all of these new additions point to Winnipeg's intention to remain a contender. If Winnipeg keeps this up, there's no reason to doubt that this city can climb back to prominence.

Winnipeg just needs to keep thinking big. This museum is a very important part of that journey. Calgary and Edmonton look set to join the ranks of major league cities. Winnipeg should go along for the ride.

:|

·
41,707 Posts
true

u ever been here?
Yes, I was vacationing in Lake of the Woods 2 summers back and did a week long side trip to Winnipeg. I drove up from Minnesota, on to Steinbach, then found a hotel in downtown Winnipeg. It was my first time in the west.

The first thing that struck me was the flatness of the landscape. There's something very captivating about it. The Red and Assiniboine rivers are awesome and a huge asset to your city. I visited the Forks, the Exchange District, the Manitoba Legislature, Osborne Village, Polo Park, Fort Whyte Alive, and even had a burger at the Salisbury Steak House on that new bridge.

Winnipeg has great bones, but of a size that puts it on the fence. Will it think small and fall off people's radar or will it think big and enjoy the exposure that comes with being a big city? If people in Winnipeg have the ambition, the second option is very doable, but projects like the new stadium for the Bombers at U of M and this Human Rights Museum are key.

Build them both, invest in your airport, lure an IKEA, continue to boost immigration, get your NHL team back, etc. You don't need oil to prosper, just a smart game plan. There's no reason why Winnipeg can't catch back up to Calgary.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This thing looks pretty cheesy.

What is it supposed to resemble? A rumpled napkin? :dunno:
indeed and unique lol as for resemblince some people campare it to those zar helmits with the spike on it

going to be interesting to photograph this thing as it goes up though

·
41,707 Posts
That's very good 1ajs. As you've done such a great job with posting this, I may as well add these renders to the collection. This museum really has the potential to be spectacular. Perhaps it will even be one of those rare buildings that manage to captivate the world:

architect antoine predock
http://www.predock.com/ArchitecturePage/newarchitecture.html

Well done Manitoba! :applause:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i was in jr high when they started the design compition and started fund rasing for this thing 8 yrs ago

these were the other two finalists from the compition

the one on the left was the one i was rooting for :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
no way...the winning design is the most relevant to the subject by far...great metaphor, especially the staircase toward the heavens...reaching up and reading out, just like activists.

human rights are organic, and this building design tries to portray that.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.