SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

1910 Artistic Studio Dance Theatre / Davis Department Store

The Winston-Salem City Council has been asked to consider a plan by WB Holdings Corp to demolish the old 1910 Davis Department Store and build a new, six-story building in its place. Kerry Avant and Thad Llewellyn plan to replace it with a new building that will contain one level of underground parking, two levels of commercial space and four levels of residential space. The proposal could affect Janice Price-Hinton, who operates a music, dance, theater and performing-arts studio in the building. It's unclear whether the studio would stay or go. WB Holdings is asking the city to close the path between the Davis and Hine-Bagby buildings and sell the city's share of the closed street to the developer at fair market value. If the city agrees, WB Holdings will grant the city five-foot-wide easements along the path.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Any renderings of the proposed building?

This is personal opinion, based on the above photo. Anything must be better than the existing building... It maybe almost 100 years old, but it doesn't inspire me much. I am sure it has some value to certain people, but I am glad to hear that W-S is going to get something else. Hopefully, the developer will see enough demand to go beyond 6-stories, but even at the proposed height, the new building will add something fresh to the wondeful center of Winston-Salem. Glad to hear that things are moving forward. We all know how it works: once a project breaks ground, something else will follow; it is a chain reaction :yes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree, the current building doesn't impress me much so I'm glad to see a new building going up there. Good news. Thanks for posting.

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a proposal (by Jim Painter) for an upscale grocery store in this building, but the city blocked it. It may have been the building next to it, but I think it was this one? The city has blocked a lot of proposals for the southern side of the eastern end of West Fourth Street. I think all Winston-Salem fans are excited to see the city finally backing plans for these old buildings along the eastern end of West Fourth. There was a plan for an 8-storey office building on that same block (where the Dill Pickle Restaurant is). It would've been a flat building like this one. I think flat looking buildings around 6-10 floors in height would add greatly to Fourth Street, but I think we all would like to see something taller. Demand is there, but as Raleigh-NC says, successful completed projects are needed to bring bigger and better projects to the Fourth Street Entertainment District.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
One of the many things I like about DT Winston-Salem is the placement of the towers. The non-linear pattern allows for any size of projects to be built, pretty much anywhere in the core. This is a great advantage, which also applies for DT Asheville and DT Durham. Anything above 5 stories can boost the urban feel, without even having to be a skyscraper, thanks to the non-linear pattern. I am truly glad to see that the city leadership is standing behind new proposals with a more positive attitude than before. DT Winston-Salem has a great skyline and a wonderful historic fabric, but now is the time to take advantage by bringing some additional urban projects to the core. The horrible thing about revitalization and the renewed interest on developing NC downtowns is the time; all those great proposals will need time to materialize and bear fruits, and this is true for all cities. The waiting period is definitely the hardest time. Just keep us posted on this proposal.

I think it is time for a construction/projects update on DT Winston-Salem. There is enough material to at least create a list ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts