Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I think it was about time we saw more of Winston-Salem :) The opportunities for redevelopment are tremendous in DT W-S!!! There is a solid core with a ton of historic and modern structures that co-exist peacefully. As soon as the reusability/recycling of the old buildings is done, DT W-S will become a major player in revitalization - not that the city isn't doing enough already. In a way, W-S and Durham are leading the path to historic buildings reuse. Excellent photos!!! Can't wait for more ;)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Looks like an interesting place. It's about four hours from Augusta, I wouldn't mind riding up for a weekend :)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Winston-Salem has a great urban fabric. This is definitely one of the most definitive Winston-Salem threads I've seen to date. Good job!

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I sometimes like Winston-Salem better than Greensboro ;)
W-S is one of North Carolina's most urban cities. There is really not too much sprawl and as others have said: it has a big, dense DT core.
It also has the best topography, IMO, of the NC "big 5" cities.
Pilot Mt., Hanging Rock and the Apps are all pretty close to W-S.
I have always been impressed with Winston-Salem's huge support of the arts and education :)
Great pics! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
What's going on with this building? It would make a great condo/loft conversion project:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's going on with this building? It would make a great condo/loft conversion project:

thats one of my favorites too! no plans for the building yet. hopefully someone will save it from the wrecking ball. Liberty is growing in popularity which could mean that beautiful structures like this one are in danger.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for these photos! The wife and I are making the short drive over from Raleigh this weekend to check this town out. I've heard good things about Foothills Brewery, and I intend to put that place to the test!:cheers:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Excellent city tour! Question: Is there really a section called Salem in W/S and if so were any pictures of it included? I was under the impression Salem was a very historic area of homes and buildings with an Amish flavor. Am I wrong? And geographically, where is it in relation to Center City and how far?

Even tough no trains arrive and depart now, they may someday if the Southeast High Speed Rail project ever gets going Is there a railway depot?

I'd also like to see pix of the NC School of the Arts and the downtown theatre which was restored a decade or so ago.

Thanks for sharing all the neat photos.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ yes. its called Old Salem. its just south of downtown, and just north of NCSA and said to be the the most authentic outdoor museum in the country. Unfortunately, i didnt get any photos of Old Salem on this tour. i will next time, definitely.

here is a a photo i took from the southern edge. this fence circles the entire area.

the famous Old Salem teapot: this is the northern entry into the neighborhood.

vacant old salem business on brookstown/main

thanks everyone for the compliments!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think it was about time we saw more of Winston-Salem :) The opportunities for redevelopment are tremendous in DT W-S!!! There is a solid core with a ton of historic and modern structures that co-exist peacefully. As soon as the reusability/recycling of the old buildings is done, DT W-S will become a major player in revitalization - not that the city isn't doing enough already. In a way, W-S and Durham are leading the path to historic buildings reuse. Excellent photos!!! Can't wait for more ;)
Wow! it's hard for me too fathom.That Raleigh is alot bigger than Winston-Salem by looking at these AWSOME PIC, I have never been to Winston-Salem so maybe were just bigger in the sprawl department and population. If our downtown is bigger it can't be by that much .And yes "I know that Winston-Salem for most of North Carolina's history has been the larger city. "I think so at least", so can anybody give me the spec's for all of the big 5 cities in NC's downtowns in terms of size by miles and residents living in them, would love to know?

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
great pics.

-

·
Registered
351 Posts
Great pics Twin City. I have lived in Winston-Salem most of my life and thought that I had seen everything but these pictures are awesome. I really like the old and the new combined. I can't wait to see what downtown W-S will look like in five to ten years with all the projects still to be completed.

Great job TC!

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Wow! it's hard for me too fathom.That Raleigh is alot bigger than Winston-Salem by looking at these AWSOME PIC, I have never been to Winston-Salem so maybe were just bigger in the sprawl department and population. If our downtown is bigger it can't be by that much .And yes "I know that Winston-Salem for most of North Carolina's history has been the larger city. "I think so at least", so can anybody give me the spec's for all of the big 5 cities in NC's downtowns in terms of size by miles and residents living in them, would love to know?
Winston-Salem has more historical structures to demonstrate than Raleigh. Being a larger city in the past is evident in Winston-Salem's current fabric. I believe that the downtown areas in all major NC cities - except for Fayetteville, I think - are pretty much the same size. Even Wilmington has 200 blocks of historic neighborhoods - good luck trying to walk around the entire DT Wilmington area :lol: Population-wise, Uptown Charlotte is the most populated of all downtowns, with a little over 12,000 residents. Raleigh comes second with about 5,300 residents.

When it comes to density, Raleigh is denser than Winston-Salem. The former has 359,332 people within less than 135 square miles. Winston-Salem has about 227,000 people living within 132.4 square miles - I used the two cities' official websites for information. In terms of density, Raleigh has 2661.72 ppl/sq mi, whereas Winston-Salem has 1714.5 ppl/sq mi. Unfortunately, it is not easy to determine what type of land is included, such as parks, rivers, lakes, etc. The density numbers only show density, not how urban a place is. I know that Raleigh has a lot of "unusable" space, but I am sure the same holds true for Winston-Salem and other NC cities.

In the past, I have made some efforts to find more about downtown populations, but I have not been successful :( Hopefully, some forumers here can shed some light, although this is outside the scope of this thread. One thing I have to say is that Winston-Salem is a must see if you live in NC. The Old Salem area is truly a gem and worth visiting; its historic nature is unsurpassed and I am sure you will be impressed. I think that besides the obvious - skyline, historic neighborhoods - there are a lot of things that will make your visit worth your while.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Winston-Salem has more historical structures to demonstrate than Raleigh. Being a larger city in the past is evident in Winston-Salem's current fabric. I believe that the downtown areas in all major NC cities - except for Fayetteville, I think - are pretty much the same size. Even Wilmington has 200 blocks of historic neighborhoods - good luck trying to walk around the entire DT Wilmington area :lol: Population-wise, Uptown Charlotte is the most populated of all downtowns, with a little over 12,000 residents. Raleigh comes second with about 5,300 residents.

When it comes to density, Raleigh is denser than Winston-Salem. The former has 359,332 people within less than 135 square miles. Winston-Salem has about 227,000 people living within 132.4 square miles - I used the two cities' official websites for information. In terms of density, Raleigh has 2661.72 ppl/sq mi, whereas Winston-Salem has 1714.5 ppl/sq mi. Unfortunately, it is not easy to determine what type of land is included, such as parks, rivers, lakes, etc. The density numbers only show density, not how urban a place is. I know that Raleigh has a lot of "unusable" space, but I am sure the same holds true for Winston-Salem and other NC cities.

In the past, I have made some efforts to find more about downtown populations, but I have not been successful :( Hopefully, some forumers here can shed some light, although this is outside the scope of this thread. One thing I have to say is that Winston-Salem is a must see if you live in NC. The Old Salem area is truly a gem and worth visiting; its historic nature is unsurpassed and I am sure you will be impressed. I think that besides the obvious - skyline, historic neighborhoods - there are a lot of things that will make your visit worth your while.
Yeah, I have alway heard how great Winston-Salem was in the past, I Think am going to head up that way during my up coming vacation.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts