SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok.... so I recently stumbled upon the Wired New York Forum....

Where I read MANY MANY disparaging comments about my hometown of Chicago. So, I decided to join there and engage.....

only to be batted down by New Yorkers who think Chicago is many .....many many many...
levels lower than New York.

Are New Yorkers ..in general..really that stuck up?

or is it an East Coast Thing?

And for all of you NYers who love other cities, please either forgive or try to enjoy this intrusion.....peace out...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
for the little chimp stuck on the island.....whose power trip is beyond pathetic....limiting free speech feels good huh?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Chicago is awesome. Please dont listen to the people on Wired NY because they view Chicago to be a competition. I even remember reading a thread there when they were complaining that Chicago is getting way better proposals than NY is getting.

Chicago is one of the places I might relocate to. Its cheap, beautiful, extreme weather. But its so far from family.

I also have never seen shots of Chicago that show a lot of people walking around the neighborhoods, maybe its just not pedestrian friendly as NY?

·
Liverpool, England.
12,440 Posts
Trying to be as even handed as possible, I would say that Chicago is a major US city but one level below New York, which is a major world city. Chicago is probably as visually stunning as New York but lacks some of the icons that make that city so familiar. I'm thinking of Broadway, the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, the Subway, the Empire State Building, Friends, Greenwich Village, Harlem, the East River Bridges, Fifth Avenue, Sex and the City, Central Park, Brooklyn, Miracle on 34th Street, the Staten Island Ferry etc. All these places are so familiar through films, books and TV that you never have to visit NYC to feel that you know the place.

I think that most people would know of Chicago icons such as the Sears Tower, the Lake Michigan coast, Al Capone etc. but New York is just that more familiar.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Are New Yorkers ..in general..really that stuck up?

or is it an East Coast Thing?
No way. You'll find assholes everywhere you go. This isn't unique to the east coast. I wouldn't say Chicago is lesser than NY. Chicago is grand in it's own way. Great photo's, btw. The first one is sick...

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Don't take their statment seriously. Most of them are from NYC metro area, so they tend to be provincial. This is the case for a message board that is from a certain area. I am sure that if there was a website known as Wired Chicago or some other city, their message board would say things against places outside of theirs just as much.

·
Registered
749 Posts
After reading the thread I can't really say that the mod is really abusing his powers. The thread was getting a bit out of hand and had become useless to read. Hye just wanted to keep the thread from going down hill.

Also everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as dumb as it may be, sadly (although some in that thread from both sides were a bit off the wayside).

Finally, and this is probably the most important, they are very critical of everything, with there city and others, so although they are very critical of Chicago, they are just as critical of their own city.

As of my opinion of Chicago, it is a great city, but to compare it to NY would be a great diservice to it, they are two different cities (read unique not ones better than the other). Like any cities they both have their positive and their negatives.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i'd have to say... SSC folks have shown a lot of class when it comes this topic! Makes me glad to be here rather than the alturnative...

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
The core members are known to be developement junkies and yes men to a number of projects. If anyone is against their way of thinking, they will pounce on you for being that way. Some of them even go on other message boards like SSP and SSC and do the same things there as well. If you go over here, there is a thread where they take quotes from fourmers mainly at SSP, though there are some from SSC as well, and make fun of how they look at things, which really shows how disrespectfull they are to others.

·
15,842 Posts
Chicago is an awesome city. I don't know in what context these guys on Wired NY criticized it. Sounded strange to me.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
i actually admire chicago's magnificent mile..:lol: i've been wanting to go there, heard a lot 'bout it...

for me NYC and Chi are just equal, NYC is a major business hub that's why so a lot of folks think of it as the greatest IMHO.. however nobody really sets them apart, we belong to one land, we're brothers and bragging won't help us solve our problems.. have a good day everyone,, (get ready for those slushy monday commute;))..

btw, nice pics!!!:hi:

·
Registered
583 Posts
i do have to side with martin s a little bit here. I see NYC as still more iconic than Chicago.... but regardless, someone had to come in #2 right? LOL

j/k, chicago is a great place too... I just hate ur sears tower!!! no offense!

:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.