SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Hi
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I mean is that Wisconsin was the only state in the upper midwest to gain population from other states. Surprising, and good!

MILWAUKEE Wisconsin is the only state in the upper Midwest to show a population gain from domestic migration between 2000 to 2004.

The U-S Census Bureau estimates that nearly 14-thousand more people moved into Wisconsin than left the state during that time.

Growth remains strong in Dane County. It also was aided by the "big drivers" of suburban growth in Kenosha and Walworth County in southeastern Wisconsin and St. Croix County outside Minneapolis-St. Paul, he said.

The agency says the five-county Milwaukee metropolitan area had a net loss of more than 33-thousand but all of that was in Milwaukee County.

Florida, Arizona and Nevada were listed as attracting the most new residents nationally -- while New York, California and Illinois had the largest net losses from migration.

·
Registered
117 Posts
well say upper midwest in your topic line then.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You should probably thank Chicago and Twin Cities sprawl as well :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
globill said:
:banana: Lets hear it for sprawl. Now they just need to build that new bridge near Stillwater. :lol:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
globill said:
Yup. Aren't some of the fastest growing counties in Wisconsin adjacent to Chicago and the Twin Cities?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Certainly St Croix across the river from Minnesota & the Illinois Border Counties expierced nice growth. Dane has been a big grower. And the Milwaukee Suburban Counties particularly Waukesha though Milwaukee county itself didn't fare to well.

·
Registered
546 Posts
globill said:

I thought population growth was a good thing, as long as it isn't over the top
uncontrolled sprawl like Phoenix or Las Vegas? So there are three areas that have seen growth: A. Saint Croix County B. Kenosha/Walworth Counties C. Dane County. Which of those regions in everyone's opinion has the best planning oversight to control sprawl, and curtail environmental impacts?

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
The fact is almost all of this net in-migration from other states can be attributed to sprawl, whether it's in Kenosha, St. Croix or Dane County. In fact, the development in Dane County may be the worst sprawl of all, as the Fitchburg/Verona areas southeast of Madison continue to boom with low density sprawling development, huge big box stores, mile after mile of cookie cutter housing developments. Dane County has pretty much nothing in the way of a cohesive growth strategy .. the talk about "Smart Growth" is really confined to a few policy wonks in the city of Madison, which is ironic because some of the heaviest sprawl development is occuring within Madison's growing city limits at the edge of farmland.

There are pockets of decent development here and there in Dane County, such as Middleton Hills and a new one just east of Madison in I think Sun Prairie, but for most part these are islands in a sea of sprawl.

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Wisconsin is awesome. It is one of my favorite midwest states.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Badgers77 said:
MILWAUKEE Wisconsin is the only state in the upper Midwest to show a population gain from domestic migration between 2000 to 2004.
Excellent news for Wisconsin, but is it right to say "Milwaukee" on that above statement, I mean it is Wisconsin not Milwaukee that is the state that is having a population gain

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the news story was just from "MILWAUKEE" and is italicised. The story actually begins with "Wisconsin and refers to Wisco in general.

·
Mostly Sane
2,326 Posts
dmg1mn said:
:banana: Lets hear it for sprawl. Now they just need to build that new bridge near Stillwater. :lol:
It's definitely going to happen. I worked on the visualizations of that project for MN DOT. When it's completed, just watch the explosive growth of St. Croix County!

I'd invest in land there.

If I had the cash. :)

·
Premium Member
Seattle
2,830 Posts
Lets not forget the Fox Valley (Green Bay and Appleton) for their contributions. They are only behind Madison in being Wisconsin's fatest growing metros.

·
Crankbaiter
1,114 Posts
globill said:
The positive side is that many people throughout the US recognize Wisky as an awesome place to live. Recreation (fishing, gambling, snowmobiling, sailing), access to 3 major US cities (Chi, Mpls, Mke), awesome schools, etc... is the reason why. Thisis good for the traditional areas of Wisky as well (MKE, Madison, GB/Fox) since all of the new residents are subsidizing though tax payments. Want to pay for the Zoo Interchange rehab? Great, pass the plate to those Kenosha/St. Croix newbies!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Keeping it real, if you look at population growth overall from 2000 to 2004 for midwestern states, you get the following. Wisconsin's population is growing, but not as much as other midwestern states such as Minnesota and Missouri. State to state migration only tells part of the story.

State Population 2000-2004

State / 2000 Pop / 2004 Pop / Percent Change (2000 to 2004)

Illinois / 12,439,674 / 12,713,634 / 2.20
Indiana / 6,091,945 / 6,237,569 / 2.39
Iowa / 2,928,435 / 2,954,451 / 0.89
Michigan / 9,956,091 / 10,112,620 / 1.57
Minnesota / 4,933,750 / 5,100,958 / 3.39
Missouri / 5,606,246 / 5,754,618 / 2.65
Nebraska / 1,713,239 / 1,747,214 / 1.98
Ohio / 11,363,803 / 11,459,011 / 0.84
Wisconsin / 5,374,392 / 5,509,026 / 2.51

Source: http://proximityone.com/st0004.htm
Ranking pages: States: 2000-04

·
Hi
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
State to State Migration tells a good part of the story. Birth rates, probably, are much higher in Missouri. State-to-state migration to your state is a GOOD SIGN, though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, it does tell a good part of the story. Wisconsin is benefiting from the tremendous metro growth of both Chicago and Minneapolis because both metros sit near the Wisconsin border. Sort of a Wisconsin sandwich. (I would imagine that this sandwich has cheese :) ). Many would argue, however, that foreign migration is also a good story for a state to tell.

This is an interesting subject, by the way.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts