Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
I don't know if any one will be interested in pics of Wolverhampton, but seeing as I currently live here (5 Months left till I get out of here!) I thought I might as well take some pics of it, i'm sure there are some people who, like me are interested in the look and feel of different town and city streetscapes (good and bad) across the country, so here are some pics I took of Wolves town centre at the weekend.

Darlington Street:

Victoria Street:

Lichfield Street:

Royal London Building (most impressive building in Wolves IMO):

Dudley Street (Main Shopping Street):

Mander House:

King Street:

Queens Square:

Chips anyone?

St Peters Church:

Central Library:

Wolverhampton Train Station:

Beatties Department Store (now part of House of Fraser group):

Queen Street:

Market Street:

Bilston Street and Wolverhampton St George's Tram terminus for trams to Birmingham:

Site of the new 250m summer row shopping quarter - work starts next year and will include around 50 new shops and a department store for Debenhams (Wolves definately needs this as the shopping is currently very poor):

Cleveland street:

Market area:

View of Wolves from platform bridge at the station:

And Molineux stadium home to the famous Wolverhampton Wanderers (not my pic):

Don't want to be too rude about the place (as I've lived here for nearly 3 years) but Wolves is incredibly bland and boring imo and not much really is going on in terms of development apart from the shopping expansion, it needs a real kick up the back side if it is ever going to look and feel like a city - I'm still wondeing why it got city status to be honest, Reading should of been granted city status sooner than Wolves.

What do you all think of the place?

·
culled
20,365 Posts
WOLVERHAMPTON | Millennium City

Out of Darkness Cometh Light

Est 984 AD, Wolverhampton is a city of 250,000 people in the West Midlands county of England, just 15 minutes train ride from central Birmingham with services to most major cities in Great Britain.

Photos: my photos

·
culled
20,365 Posts
Some pics from the Wolverhampton Express and Star, which is the England's best-selling regional newspaper - former writers include Boris Johnson and Jeremy Clarkson.

Queen Square

Express and Star

Express and Star

Express and Star

And one of the Express and Star HQ, a building that wouldn't sit out of place amongst other newspapers.

Express and Star

·
culled
20,365 Posts
^^ Fun Fact, that Diffusion store is the headquarters of the chain, and the owners took Jay Blades under their wing when he was made homeless, letting him use the old Grand Posthouse as his workshop - a workshop you can see on Money for Nothing (BBC2) - though he now presents The Repair Shop.

·
culled
20,365 Posts
I bring photos of my beautiful city.

Apologies if anything was already photographed above.

Beatties Department Store - closing soon for redevelopment.

Independent jewellers on Darlington Street

Independent menswear store on Darlington Street

Darlington Street Methodist Church: currently for sale, huge potential!

Former Odeon cinema

Ancient hardware store

Beautiful modern flats - this is the site of the future Westside development

St John's Church

Georgian George Street

·
@rijowhi on Twitter
BIRMINGHAM Metropolitan Area Forum member.
416 Posts
For a City with such a poor reputation Wolverhampton (like Coventry) has some really pretty buildings in places.

Wolverhampton - Modern Capital Of The Black Country...what will Dudley say though?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dudley likes to claim to be the modern Capital of the Black Country, but from the inception of the term around 1830-40 to the late 1930s, Wolverhampton was widely established as the Capital or Metropolis of the Black Country.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts