SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
culled
20,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for the mass redevelopment of Wolverhampton City Centre as mentioned here:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/...-of-wolverhampton-city-centre-revealed-today/

Key features:

• Cinema
  • Sainsbury's supermarket
  • Removal of ring road car park, replaced with trees and greenery
  • Pedestrian route across the ring road to Sainsbury's
  • £15 million hotel replacing the Fox (Hilton)
  • St Marks business district
  • New indoor markets
  • Restoration of several roads, removal of others
  • Provision for midland metro tram stops / route
  • New 460 space multi storey car park replacing Fold Street car park
  • An overhaul of the Mander Centre allowing larger stores
  • Landscaped inner-city park
  • 1,300 homes
Photos:
source: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/...-of-wolverhampton-city-centre-revealed-today/

This is on top of:

• Redevelopment of Wolverhampton railway station (reported in the article to be scaled down)
  • Redevelopment of the Royal Hospital (Tesco-lead), large site with many homes etc
The footprint this implies is absolutely massive and I'd say is on par with the proposed redevelopment of Coventry city centre, if not larger.

Wimma big city :cheers:this all seems like something I'd post in the fantasy thread!

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Glad the council are to get this all started again. Hopefully they can find investors and stakeholders to make it happen.

Yikes at the comments on the Express and Star web site. Are people really that negative, dullwitted and lack any form of intelligence?

·
culled
20,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yikes at the comments on the Express and Star web site. Are people really that negative, dullwitted and lack any form of intelligence?
Yes, notice it's people who don't even use the city. One complained that TJ Hughes is empty but it's been in use for probably a year now.

Then you've got people saying it's quicker to walk to St Georges than catch a metro there, missing the point entirely (and being unfair to people who can't walk!). (The metro isn't designed to get people from the train station to St Georges...)

It doesn't help that people fill their minds with crap like:

Ha what a joke. Youve just got to walk through the city to see why its run down. I live to the west of the city and work in Birmingham and commute every day and walk through the city and have to say I can’t wait to move out. Its dirty, smelly, littered with tramps, rubbish and closed shops everywhere.
Do I just have rose tinted specs or are they talking about a completely different city!?

We're not down, as they suggest, because of this; we're down because we're littered with residents who ENJOY putting down the city in everything they say. It's like a sport.

Theres no point in spending money on building new shops when local people have no money to spend.
As the report above states, they have identified a lot of potential money not spent in Wolverhampton due to it's lack of places to spend it. I would spend a lot more money there if I had somewhere to do so - I buy online because the city doesn't have the things I need! A bigger HMV would be a good start...

We have a bad rep because we have a bad rep, and it's sad. I think the city is great.

·
Registered
473 Posts
But people from Wolverhampton are so dull and narrow minded and are quick to criticize because they think it makes them look smart and intelligent. When i go to the mander centre in wolves people seem to have tunnel vision. There are a few minority (I like to put myself in this bracket) that think positively about were they live and are frustrated about developments not going ahead due to lack of funding. I bought the Express And Star for a laugh yesterday to look at the development news and came across the "jobs" section and seriously there was only 2 pages of jobs doing pencil pushing.

"An overhaul of the Mander Centre allowing larger stores"

Not really an overhaul just a way of filling in the massive empty floor space.

·
culled
20,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The comments suggest, worryingly, that Woolworths is full of rainwater and sewage and completely unusable... can anyone conform this?

-

Anyway, the Mander Centre is one of my favourite shopping centres (if not looking solely at what stores are there) followed only by the Wulfrun centre. A combined Wulfrun-Mander centre with the Wulfrun styling throughout would be amazing. Merry Hill, Derby, Highcross, Liverpool One - they're just not the same. They don't integrate with the surrounding streets as well, and don't have the mix of massive stores next to tiny stores that makes the Mander centre good.

As for the overhaul it is a bit more than just knocking through walls, I think. The original plan was to sell them land on Victoria Street through where Waterstones is, which would get rid of all those empty undesirable shops and open up through to all the posh shops like Beatties and Castle Galleries.

Every time I hear that the Mander Centre looks outdated I cringe, because ignoring the fact it doesn't, it would cost a fortune to change that perception in people and knowing Wolverhampton they'd still complain about it.

·
culled
20,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a case and point:

This Express and Star article comments
Chuggers, religious nutters and beggars do spoil the place
Chuggers have been dealt with. Even when the council has acted they still complain and don't even know what the situation is. I don't think I've ever been accosted by a chugger in Wolvo outside of Dudley Street which has been dealt with. In Leicester on the other hand it's impossible not to be several times.

The grubby, run-down shops and litter strewn streets are just depressing.
Again, litter is really not a problem in Wolverhampton. The council do an amazing job about this. It is hard to even find any litter. Contrast this with say, West Bromwich, (there are good photos showing the rubbish in the streets in the dev thread)... sharp contrast. Dudley Street is fantastically clean and tidy, as are most parts of the city. I'd love to know where this character has been visiting.

The issue is that people with money to spend would rather go to Birmingham, Telford or Merry Hill because those places offer a much cleaner, pleasanter and upmarket feel.
The problem with an "upmarket feel" is that it is just a feel, it is solely down to the heads of the people visiting! We don't have the big shops but that's because, down to people's attitudes of the city, the big shops don't feel we want them. We do.

What Wolverhampton Really does need is a top quality concert venue. The Grand is great for pantos,plays and 60′s concerts but what the town is crying out for is a venue where the really big stars of the music world will come and play.
Has never been to the Wulfrun, Civic, or Little Civic.

And finally, to sum up Wolverhampton bretherin,

Whatever is built here, or invested in, will turn out the same. In no time it will be dirty, scruffy,vandalised by too many chavs and down and outs. The city is down at heel and broken. I do not know that anything will ever change. All I feel is a sense of profound shame.
Frankly it's amazing the council even bother trying to appease these people. Half want the city demolished (or "nuked") and replaced with something new, the other half are angry at the council for demolishing old buildings which could have been utilised. They'd complain whatever happened because that's what Wulfrunians do.

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
If it is a 'sit hole', which it isn't, then let's spend £100's millions making it better. Then we wont have the shit hole, surely?

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Here's a case and point:

This Express and Star article comments

Chuggers have been dealt with. Even when the council has acted they still complain and don't even know what the situation is. I don't think I've ever been accosted by a chugger in Wolvo outside of Dudley Street which has been dealt with. In Leicester on the other hand it's impossible not to be several times.

Again, litter is really not a problem in Wolverhampton. The council do an amazing job about this. It is hard to even find any litter. Contrast this with say, West Bromwich, (there are good photos showing the rubbish in the streets in the dev thread)... sharp contrast. Dudley Street is fantastically clean and tidy, as are most parts of the city. I'd love to know where this character has been visiting.

The problem with an "upmarket feel" is that it is just a feel, it is solely down to the heads of the people visiting! We don't have the big shops but that's because, down to people's attitudes of the city, the big shops don't feel we want them. We do.

Has never been to the Wulfrun, Civic, or Little Civic.

And finally, to sum up Wolverhampton bretherin,

Frankly it's amazing the council even bother trying to appease these people. Half want the city demolished (or "nuked") and replaced with something new, the other half are angry at the council for demolishing old buildings which could have been utilised. They'd complain whatever happened because that's what Wulfrunians do.
Having spent the morning in Wolverhampton, right by this proposed development - all I can say is that some of the locals are deluded. It was pleasant, lots of old characterful buildings (jewellery quarter comes to mind) and felt very safe. Oh and independent stores and cafes too, you forget they exist sometimes living in Brum. Yeah some of the area could do with a bit of investment - but isn't that whats proposed?

But then glass is always half full with some people.....

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Both the response and some of the renders are scarily reminiscent of Cov's city centre redevelopment - the early pictures of the downsized Coventry South plan, the latter aerial ones of the Jerde plan.

I imagine it'll take a little while to really get going, but hopefully by then we'll be seeing a bit more investment floating around.

It'd be nice to show people that the Midlands extends beyond Birmingham

·
Registered
473 Posts
Is there any more info on the wulfrun or mander centre "overhaul". Mander house could get a refurbishment hopefully :)

·
culled
20,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Before it was mentioned mander would get land in Victoria street and wulfrun land on Cleveland street; that's all I can find though. Interestingly it still leaves summer row free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts