SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had to google it as I had never heard of it. But now I know where a new suburb is .... least you misunderstand me, I grew up in the suburbs, but the south ones, so I'm still trying to figure out what goes on west of Cicero and north of Evanston (but can go on in great detail what goes on south of 95th street) ;)

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
I lived in Wood Dale for like half of my childhood. o_o

Yeah, most people don't even know what it is. It's next to Addison, Bensenville, and Itasca. It's a small town with around 12k population, almost entirely residential.

And the bulldozing part, that's just impossible. O'Hare would have to go deep into Bensenville just to touch Wood Dale, and they would be touching Irving Park Road, something that you can't just destroy. Wood Dale wouldn't allow it, Bensenville wouldn't allow it, and the surrounding communities wouldn't tolerate it (basically DuPage would get involved then).

What's more likely is part of Bensenville to be cut off and bulldozed for the expansion.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:

Wood Dale is located just west of O'Hare. I heard they are going to bulldoze that suburb to extend Ohare
Even if the O'Hare expansion were to cut into Wood Dale, they wouldn't bulldoze the entire suburb. Probably just small portions of it.

If any suburb were to take a major hit from the O'Hare expansion, Bensenville or Schiller Park would be prime candidates, depending on the scope of the expansion plans.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they were talking about the expansion (a lot) about 2 years ago, but last year it kinda died down a lil bit, so O'Hare probably won't expand. but if it does, then not much residential will be affected, and only Bensenville would be affected.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Not only do I live in Wood Dale, but until last week, I worked for the city. The city government's completely gone to hell in the past 6 months. Almost everyone's quit and I fear for its future. The council pretty much abandoned the new town center, with all the transit oriented developments that would have gone with it.

On a good note, Produce Plaza has been turned into a really nice bank. I do my banking there, in fact. You'd never recognise that it used to be a dumpy grocery store. Bobolo's was sold and fixed up. A developer is planning three six-story condos to replace Giorgio's banquette hall (and its massive parking lot), and the WD Electric building. Plus a couple other developers is putting up 50 or so town homes south of the Metra station as well as 60 or so more townhomes behind Georgetown Square.

And no, Wood Dale is NOT going to be demolished to make room for the airport. Bensenville, on the other hand, may be dissolved and split-up of expansion goes ahead 100%. It might not be able to exist as a viable village if it remained intact.

BTW ncvegas, did you leave before or after the pedestrian bridge over Irving Park was completed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, lemme break it down:
summer of 2003: i moved to Wood Dale. the pedestrian bridge was there when I got there.
summer of 2004: I moved to Florida. and i really miss Wood Dale.
so since last summer has anything happened? any new important buildings/businesss?

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Wow. Lots of nostalgia.

Also, that pedestrian birdge is messed up. Why did they need to build that? Really, who goes from one side to the other?

Produce Plaza no longer exists? Well that's news to me. How's Georgetown Square Plaza going? I remember using their office space as a shortcut to get back home. It's surprising that in what looks to be a crappy strip mall there are actually nice workspaces (for what I don't know).

By the way, I lived in Orchard Lakes. How's that area now?

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
^Yeah, that bridge was a waste of $5 million. It was built as part of the DuPage Bike/Pedestrian trail and also as a way for people who lived south of Irving to go to Jewel/Target without having to cross 5 lanes of traffic. People do cross it, but not enough to justify THAT kind of money.

The building that housed Produce Plaza is still around. It was really well-built, so the Bank of Commerce just gutted it, added a second floor, redid the parking and added teller lanes. That's why it's so strange walking in there. It looks so upscale now. In fact, I'll go snap a photo of it later.

Georgetown was fixed up a few years back and is thriving. All the shops are leased. It won't be going anywhere, as the land it sits on would have become more expensive than the structure that sits on it. Georgetown is valued at $10 million, so it'll take decade before the land accrues enough for a private developer to come in.

If anyone's interested, the city's website is here. You might find some news there. (Though I hate the name chosen for the site. I pushed for cityofwooddale.com, but I was just part-time help, so I was ignored.)

I don't think I've ever been to Orchard Lakes, so I can't help you there.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
ChicagoLover said:
That's where Henry Hyde is from, no? Otherwise I know nothing about it.
Yes. Hyde lives in a ~16 story condo that looms over I-290.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
5 million dollars? 5 MILLION? what a waste! i thought it was like around $500,000 or sumthin like that. people don't use it that much, so i don't think it worth it. I used to go to Produce Plaza all the time, so i was sad (sorta) to hear that they built a bank there instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts