SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Sorry to start a new thread - but I couldn't find the old one.

The first Wood Wharf application can now be viewed on the Tower Hamlets site. Check out the north/south elevations. Erm...look familiar? Why are buildings being cloned at Canary Wharf? Why can't they do something original!

I haven't had time to look through the design statement yet, so there may be some redeeming features in there.

Link below: It's the second app - called 1 harbour quay.

http://194.201.98.213:8080/servlet/UKP_WeeklyListSearch

·
Large Member
1,128 Posts
They look desperately dull. What height are they, I can't read the writing next to them. No, let me guess 145m, like all the other crappy boxes that CW have put up since they finished HSBC and citygroup.

·
Registered
24,253 Posts
I've never liked the idea of Wood Wharf. It seemed to cram so much in without learning from the mistakes of Canary Wharf.

Quite frankly if this is the quality of design, well...

I hope they get a roasting.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
26 floors would only be about 115m..........

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
This application is for the south of the site with the arch building with the 7 on it. I think.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Some more informations:

- the application site of the tower element (103.5m high) is the "arched building" of 16-20 storeys that was drawn in the Masterplan Illustrative Proposals.

- the quantum of floorspace represents approximately half that which would be realised if the "arched building" were to be developed.

- The 26 storeys proposal of the tower element represents a compromise between the taller 35 storeys buildings to the west and the residential developments to the east which is envisaged to be up to 20 storeys high.

Finally, they made it clear they want to build as early as possible (2005).

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Jonny 5 said:
This application is for the site with the building with the 9 on it.
What??? So, the two biggest towers in Wood Wharf are only going to be around 26 storeys?? That's pathetic ... I thought they were planning something like 35-40 storeys.

You're right, this would only be around 115m. What a waste. :| :sleepy:

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
jef said:
Some more informations:

- the application site of the tower element (103.5m high) is the "arched building" of 16-20 storeys that was drawn in the Masterplan Illustrative Proposals.

- the quantum of floorspace represents approximately half that which would be realised if the "arched building" were to be developed.

- The 26 storeys proposal of the tower element represents a compromise between the taller 35 storeys buildings to the west and the residential developments to the east which is envisaged to be up to 20 storeys high.

Finally, they made it clear they want to build as early as possible (2005).
Ah right, so it's site 7 on that diagram above?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Corrected what I said. It's on the southern end of the arch site.

They've messed up all the building plans and moved everything about which makes it uber confusing.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The new plans look nothing like the massing.

It feels like they stripped out all the good elements to make it just as bland as the West of Canary Wharf............

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Yes it is confusing. What is sure is that the application site is the "arched building" that won't be built. Apparently it would be too difficult for this "arched building' to be granted pp without into potentially protracted site-assembly negociations - the "arched building' is claimed to be overdominating and overshadowing the area.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Thr northern of the 2 tall buildings looks like it's been replaced with some smaller buildings. There is no space for a large building on the plans.

BTW: I think this building is on part of the site the 9 building was on, they've moved the 9 building onto the 10 building site and got rid of the 10 building.

·
Banned
1,820 Posts
The tallest buildings on the site. Hmmm if I was a developer I would have maxed this site out - this is prime land and we should have at least 4 150m+ towers. Hell you could get a 200m+ in there as well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts