SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Divemaster!
6,699 Posts
NICE! I like the look of this tower! It has a normal quality to it that differs from all these crazy (if sometimes brilliant) designs in the City, and yet at the same time, cannot be classed as a dull 'box'.

But the real question is: what's the deal with this tower? Is it a real proposal..is it an outdated one or a new one...is it a new design for the dodgy-looking 20 Fr st??? More details needed please! I'd love it if this was a real proposal...but I fear it aint....?

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Very nice, i think it looks like the site for the Existing 20 Fenchurch building, so I guess this was one of several designs for the site and Vinoly won.

Prefer it to the Vinoly design, very sleek and would fit in better with the city. Aren't Woods Bagot the ones designing Greengate in Manchester, or was that Denton Corker Marshall - I know it was one of the two Aussie architects.

·
Aerial Erector
1,492 Posts
Lets have that instead of the Horrid Vinoly scheme :) it lookas like it may still have a leaning element i might be wrong though :eek:

·
Futurist
38,419 Posts
This looks a thousand, million, trillion times better than the Vinoly scheme.

I can't believe anyone with any appreciation of architecture would choose that awful walkie-talkie over this.

If it turns out they rejected this design, I will personally write to whoever made the decision. :mad:

·
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.
3,348 Posts
I agree with the guy above me. This design K.O's the Walkie Talkie design by miles and leaves it hanging.

Plus it's a design thats not at all radical, yet not at all boring. We need more designs like this in the city to be honest.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Mmm... it definitely has a greater relationship with the other towers in the area; look how it shares the same "step-up" design as Willis and that of the Heron batiment.

The only thing the "walkie-talkie" has in common on the skyline is with one other building - it has the same type of cladding as Willis... but thats it. Other than that, the building's an outcast. Oh... and the same architect as Willis... but thats highly unimportant.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Looks interesting but I can't say at this stage whether I prefer this to the previous proposal which I'm quite a fan of.

·
Registered
24,273 Posts
It is on the site of 20 Fenchurch Street, I have that original rendering of the City and matched them up. It's nice, although I don't like the podium it's on. Very 1960s.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,754 Posts
Uhm.. duno, although I think this one would give London that 'stability' factor it needs in having a skyscraper that isnt so.. 'me me me me, im the best of the cluster!' design

·
Like 'Berg'
6,754 Posts
Also lets just get somet friggin built! LOL... I know I know, theres Limey on the horizon..then Broadgate will rise... one day.. amongst others, I just want to see a BOOM! have 3 or 4 of these babies going up at the same time and the place will look like a crane invasion.. will symbolise a new London and make the place look like the vibrant financial capital that it is.. I'm gettin sick of seeing the same 'rooftop skylines' (don't get me wrong, beautiful as they come... but I really dont like the 'cluttered roof' look on most of the pics, we need them blocking in by some nice big shiners :D lol)..

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
It looks like one of the horribly bland ground scrapers has gone vertical! A hotel? Or even one of the non-descript residential blocks littering the place.... at least the current 20 Fenchurch street has some character! Why do people want the Canary Wharf N. American ideolgy to seep into the City is beyond me. Architecture has moved on leaps and bounds

That perfect right-angle, mitre square relation with plantation place is particularly hideous

1 - 20 of 24 Posts